Kill The Idols

Green Card Replacement Almost a Year.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I'm asking on behalf of a friend. He arrived in the United States in August 2021 thanks to his US citizen brother who petitioned for him. After they relocated, his Green Card was mailed to the address on file. They believed the address change was successful given they followed the guidelines. He is approaching his second anniversary in the United States without a physical Green Card. What should he do? Is there going to be a difficulty with changing his status?

get info pass appointment to get adit stamp on his passport at the field office.

just to make sure they paid the card fee correct?

changing status to what status?

usually if through brother he should get 10 years GC. can call uscis to inquiry the issue aswell

Edited by Misscloud

*** Moved from Bringing Family of USC forum to General Immigration-Related Discussion, where topics related to GC replacement are discussed ***

29 minutes ago, Kill The Idols said:

He is approaching his second anniversary in the United States without a physical Green Card. What should he do? Is there going to be a difficulty with changing his status?

If he needs to travel outside the US, he should call USCIS to request an I-551 ADIT stamp.

Re: changing status, do you mean filing for US citizenship?  It doesn't matter for N-400 filing when he gets his physical GC.  USCIS records will have the date when he entered the US with an immigrant visa and gained LPR status.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Misscloud said:

get info pass appointment to get adit stamp on his passport at the field office.

just to make sure they paid the card fee correct?

changing status to what status?

usually if through brother he should get 10 years GC. can call uscis to inquiry the issue aswell

From the 2 year permanent resident to 10 years. When is he supposed to do that in this case?

5 minutes ago, Kill The Idols said:

From the 2 year permanent resident to 10 years. When is he supposed to do that in this case?

???? Conditional residence is only applicable for marriage cases. If he had a GC approved, it's for 10 years. And he cannot apply for citizenship earlier than 2026 if he entered in 2021 on immigrant visa.

Are you sure he had GC? Sibling cases take many years (over 10 for sure) to get approved, did he wait all this time back at home?

Edited by OldUser

2 minutes ago, Kill The Idols said:

From the 2 year permanent resident to 10 years.

Please clarify the facts of the case with your friend.  If he was petitioned by his USC brother and entered the US on F4 sibling visa, he should have gotten a 10-year GC.  No change of status required after US entry, unless you mean naturalization -- ie. change from Permanent Resident to Citizen.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, OldUser said:

???? Conditional residence is only applicable for marriage cases. If he had a GC approved, it's for 10 years. And he cannot apply for citizenship earlier than 2026 if he entered in 2021 on immigrant visa.

Are you sure he had GC? Sibling cases take many years (over 10 for sure) to get approved, did he wait all this time back at home?

Yes, I am sure and I have all his documents including his stamped passport copy. Was just asking to make sure he's going to get in trouble just by waiting without action. It took him almost 10 years to get here. Thanks for your input.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Please clarify the facts of the case with your friend.  If he was petitioned by his USC brother and entered the US on F4 sibling visa, he should have gotten a 10-year GC.  No change of status required after US entry, unless you mean naturalization -- ie. change from Permanent Resident to Citizen.

I already know what he has and how he came in, I just didn't remember the name of the visa but its F4. And I am not referring to naturalization. I just thought I was a similar process like spouse visa. Thank you for your replies

6 minutes ago, Kill The Idols said:

Yes, I am sure and I have all his documents including his stamped passport copy. Was just asking to make sure he's going to get in trouble just by waiting without action. It took him almost 10 years to get here. Thanks for your input.

Dis he file I-90? He can get in trouble, e.g. arrested by ICE, issues with crossing border, issue getting a job or renewing Driver License.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If he submitted a cover letter with the I-90, have him keep a copy of that with him at all times.

Even better if USCIS sent any acknowledgment of receipt -- keep that with him.

CBP & ICE can detain anyone for however long it takes to determine who they are, and their status.

One of the above will ease that process, should it happen.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.