Seven

Traveling with two passports different names

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Getting a visa to Vietnam with a US passport is really easy and about 20 bucks now roughly. You can do it online now, and print out the visa in advance, and it's easy peasy. I have also gotten a Vietnam visa issued next day multiple times at their embassy in Bangkok, Thailand. I would stop by the embassy, fill out the form, pay about 15 bucks ( Make sure you have passport photos with you, I always travel with about 6 current ones), and pick up my passport the next day, then head to airport, hop on my Vietjet airways for 9 bucks one way back in the day, and away I went. The visa for Vietnam is not very difficult to get, and would save a lot of hassle in the long run.

Note: Make sure you do it directly at their Visa webpage, there are a lot of 3rd party ones that get you visas, but mark it up to like 90 bucks, and then just do everything for you online and pocket the 70 for themselves.

Looks like it went up to 25 now....

The standard fee for a single-entry e-visa is US$25

I guess that what’s the whole point of dual citizenship, you know? Then it’s better to never get the US citizenship and use the more powerful passport (Spanish one in this case)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I just realized ETIAS is coming in 2024. What nightmare for you when you travel from to the Schengen Area.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
22 hours ago, Seven said:

Hi everyone. Just curious about something.

Just say US passport (passport A) has a different name than the passport of origin (passport B). A visa is required with passport A but not with passport B so how to travel to that other country using passport B without running into issues, not being let on the plane etc because the passport A has a different name? 

Thank you in advance!

My wife travels like this all the time when she goes to Russia (US passport in married name and Russian passport in maiden name).  A USC requires a visa to enter Russia, but since she has a valid Russian passport she does not.  What we do is book her travel with her US passport, and then for the flight that will enter Russia, she shows both passports and no one has questioned her.  She does keep a certified marriage certificate with her just in case, but she has never had any issues.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Seven said:

People are not allowed to change their names. Marriage is not a valid legal reason for name change. You are born and die with your name.

Is it not allowed or is it more cultural - it is not normally done?  From what I have read, it can be done but is complicated:  your NIE needs to be changed, as well as your residencia, and a few other steps.  The hassel may be worse than getting a visa for the US passport.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
10 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Is it not allowed or is it more cultural - it is not normally done?  From what I have read, it can be done but is complicated:  your NIE needs to be changed, as well as your residencia, and a few other steps.  The hassel may be worse than getting a visa for the US passport.

It is the law as I said above. Not allowed, never changes. Never. Complicated things that can be done are: first name for transgender people. Change the paternal or maternal last name if just say, one of your parents murdered the other and now you don’t want to carry one of their last names. In that case, you would carry both of your other parent. I have no NIE or residencia. I am Spanish born and raised.  There are different laws in every country. In not all countries one can change their names like they change their underwear 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Seven

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.