Niths

I-130 Petition for child over 21 years of a permanent resident

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

My mom is a permanent resident and she filed an I-130 petition for me on Aug 29, 2022. She received an automated payment confirmation from USCIS that had a case number beginning with IOE attached to it. Is this the receipt number? Since then she has not received any other communication, either by email or mail. From what I have read online, she should have received a physical letter with a receipt number on it a few weeks after filing the petition. Is this an issue and should I contact USCIS to confirm that my petition is on file? From here, does my case still get assigned to a service center, and if so, how do I find out which one it is?

The processing times for a service center - is this the time USCIS takes to approve/deny a petition without the time to complete a medical, attend the interview and receive your permanent residency?

Thank you. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

IOE is the receipt number.  You can use it to track the petition status on the USCIS website.

Processing time is only for the I-130.  After the petition is approved, it is sent to the NVC where it will sit dormant until about a year before a visa number becomes available for you.  Then you and your mom will need to complete the NVC steps.

The entire process is for a family based immigration visa.  You do not receive permanent residency until you use the approved immigration visa to travel to the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, I assumed she filed online? The receipt with the service center might be under the document section online.

As of today, you'll be waiting 8+ years for your immigrant visa number to be current.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Niths said:

Hi,

My mom is a permanent resident and she filed an I-130 petition for me on Aug 29, 2022. She received an automated payment confirmation from USCIS that had a case number beginning with IOE attached to it. Is this the receipt number? Since then she has not received any other communication, either by email or mail. From what I have read online, she should have received a physical letter with a receipt number on it a few weeks after filing the petition. Is this an issue and should I contact USCIS to confirm that my petition is on file? From here, does my case still get assigned to a service center, and if so, how do I find out which one it is?

The processing times for a service center - is this the time USCIS takes to approve/deny a petition without the time to complete a medical, attend the interview and receive your permanent residency?

Thank you. 

As your mother is a legal resident, It is EXTREMELY important that you are unmarried at the time you enter the US in a few years.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

IOE is the receipt number.  You can use it to track the petition status on the USCIS website.

Processing time is only for the I-130.  After the petition is approved, it is sent to the NVC where it will sit dormant until about a year before a visa number becomes available for you.  Then you and your mom will need to complete the NVC steps.

The entire process is for a family based immigration visa.  You do not receive permanent residency until you use the approved immigration visa to travel to the US.

A year?  What category is this?  F2B?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

By the title, this appears to be an F2B case (unmarried, over 21, LPR parent).  If so, depending on the timeline to USCIS approval, the wait at NVC will likely be several years.

To the OP -- it will likely take at least 8 years from the date of petition filing before a visa number becones available and you can be ready to start the visa part of the process.  Whether the case is still at USCIS for a few years or moves quickly to NVC, it doesn't matter.  About a year before a visa number is expected to be current (which would be around 2030-2031 unless something changes), you will get a notice from NVC to start paying fees and submitting documents.

Edited by jan22

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

A year?  What category is this?  F2B?

+ @jan22

It seems my post was misread

"sit dormant (at NVC) until about a year before a visa number becomes available"

NOT  "sit dormant about a year"

Timeline
1 minute ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

+ @jan22

"sit dormant (at NVC) until about a year before a visa number becomes available"

LOL!  I guess I overlooked the word "until"....  Thanks.

Filed: Timeline
Just now, SteveInBostonI130 said:

+ @jan22

You're right -- I originally misread your post.  Thanks for catching it.  But, I had realuzed it also and while you were writing this, I already edited my post to correct what I said but still emphasizing that the NVC wait would be years.

Timeline
Just now, jan22 said:

You're right -- I originally misread your post.  Thanks for catching it.  But, I had realuzed it also and while you were writing this, I already edited my post to correct what I said but still emphasizing that the NVC wait would be years.

Good point.  The OP's last sentence makes me think he/she was not aware that the wait is several years. 

6 hours ago, nastra30 said:

Op, I assumed she filed online? The receipt with the service center might be under the document section online.

As of today, you'll be waiting 8+ years for your immigrant visa number to be current.

8 years? I have friends that went through the same process (F2B) and had their PR at about the 5 year mark. This is information as of last year. Has the time increased since then?

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

As your mother is a legal resident, It is EXTREMELY important that you are unmarried at the time you enter the US in a few years.  

If I do get married, does the petition get cancelled? What if I were to have a child (without getting marrying)?

1 hour ago, jan22 said:

By the title, this appears to be an F2B case (unmarried, over 21, LPR parent).  If so, depending on the timeline to USCIS approval, the wait at NVC will likely be several years.

To the OP -- it will likely take at least 8 years from the date of petition filing before a visa number becones available and you can be ready to start the visa part of the process.  Whether the case is still at USCIS for a few years or moves quickly to NVC, it doesn't matter.  About a year before a visa number is expected to be current (which would be around 2030-2031 unless something changes), you will get a notice from NVC to start paying fees and submitting documents.

What does 'OP' stand for? How are you getting this 8 year timeline? Is it based on the service center?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Niths said:

What does 'OP' stand for? How are you getting this 8 year timeline? Is it based on the service center?

Original Poster

Visa numbers are just now available for those FB petitions filed in late Sep 2015...Roughly 8 years ago.

image.thumb.png.f770549c83943f2f59def42022e0c920.png

8 minutes ago, Niths said:

8 years? I have friends that went through the same process (F2B) and had their PR at about the 5 year mark. This is information as of last year. Has the time increased since then?

If I do get married, does the petition get cancelled? What if I were to have a child (without getting marrying)?

Yes, petition gets cancelled if you get married as there’s no basis for petition. There’s no option to petition married son or daughter of LPR. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.