michela

What counts as a medical emergency for DCF London?

8 posts in this topic

Hello

I am a US citizen living in the UK and am planning to move back to the USA with my spouse (UK and Peruvian citizen) and children (US citizens). 

We would like to do DCF under exceptional circumstances - however I am wondering whether significant mental health difficulties would count for this?

We are primarily moving to the US to have the support of my family nearby as I have been suffering from extreme agoraphobia and panic attacks. 

I have had various types of therapy over the past year. I consider my illness to be debilitating - it limits my ability to leave the house, work outside of the home, drive, etc. 

It is not, however, life threatening. 

I have read that we only have one shot at DCF under exceptional circumstances. I've been reading the forums to see whether others have applied with similar situations - cannot find anything relevant. 

Is it worth applying? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by michela

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1.  It is always worth applying.  Even a small chance is still a chance.

2.  You will need to line up a joint sponsor, unless your spouse's employment will continue after he immigrates.

3.  I have not seen this reason before.  At the minimum you would need documented evidence of your condition.

5 hours ago, michela said:

Is it worth applying? 

No harm trying for DCF.  The worst that can happen is that your DCF request is denied and your spouse will have to go through the normal spouse visa process like most people do.

Edited by Chancy

2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

No harm trying for DCF.  The worst that can happen is that your DCF request is denied and your spouse will have to go through the normal spouse visa process like most people do.

The other option is that I can get a job in the US and we can apply under exceptional circumstances - relocation due to work. But that's obviously dependent on me getting a job. 

I'm trying to find out if it is actually true that we have only one shot at requesting DCF or not. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
49 minutes ago, michela said:

The other option is that I can get a job in the US and we can apply under exceptional circumstances - relocation due to work. But that's obviously dependent on me getting a job. 

I'm trying to find out if it is actually true that we have only one shot at requesting DCF or not. 

A short notice job offer seems to be a better fit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks all for your replies. I decided it wasn't straightforward enough and had gotten agreement from my job to work remotely from the US and instead submitted a request on that basis. Which was rejected. :(

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Please keep all relevant discussion in one thread instead of starting a new one ~~

11 minutes ago, michela said:

I am just sharing this in case it is useful to others - we have been married since 2011 and have lived in the UK since 2012. 

This was my request to the US Consulate in London (edited so that all personal details removed), which was submitted yesterday and rejected today. 

Any clues as to why this was rejected? I thought it would fit the criteria - imminent move due to work circumstances. Oh well, now on to research the usual route of filing...

----------------

I wish to apply for my spouse to reside in the US with our 2 US citizen children. We resided in the UK since 2012. I work for XXX in XXX role. My role has been agreed to be remote based out of the US and I will be working from the US as of the beginning of July ‘23; therefore having a regular source of income by which I can provide for my family. We will be living at my parents’ home (which they are vacating as they have purchased a farm and are spending time there as a retirement project). The children and I leave the UK in June ‘23. This will allow Child A to finish A Levels in June ‘23 and Child B to join a new school at the start of the school year in September ‘23. My husband is finishing a bachelor’s degree in May 2023 in the UK.
I am requesting exceptional circumstances so that we are able to move together as a family at short notice.

In my opinion, it’s because it’s a remote role. There’s no urgency and no real need for you to move there asap, you can keep working remote in the UK and wait for a regular filing process through USCIS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are moving because you want to, DCF is because you have to.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.