Jump to content

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

So this is for my cousin who filed AOS for her mom who was already here on B1/B2 visa.

Please see the attached pictures. She filed with her husband as a joint sponsor. So he filled out a form I-864 same as her. Should she have put her husband down as a household member instead?

The evidence she submitted was their joint tax return of previous years.

 

We are just confused as to what she should be submitting now and if using her husband as joint sponsor was the first mistake.

So I guess my question is, in response to this RFE, what should she send to USCIS?

 

Thank you all for your help in advance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG-20230123-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20230123-WA0011.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Na-yeon said:

Hello all,

 

So this is for my cousin who filed AOS for her mom who was already here on B1/B2 visa.

Please see the attached pictures. She filed with her husband as a joint sponsor. So he filled out a form I-864 same as her. Should she have put her husband down as a household member instead?

The evidence she submitted was their joint tax return of previous years.

 

We are just confused as to what she should be submitting now and if using her husband as joint sponsor was the first mistake.

So I guess my question is, in response to this RFE, what should she send to USCIS?

 

Thank you all for your help in advance.

 

A couple of things:

  1. When you say "She filed with her husband as a joint sponsor". Who is "she"? Your cousin (and her husband)? Since your cousin filed the AOS she is the primary sponsor. If your cousin is married, her spouse should be counted as part of the household size. I defer to other members more knowledgable than me to address the "husband is a joint sponsor" aspect of this.
  2. If submitting tax returns, ALL pages and ALL schedules (W-2s, 1099s, etc) must be included. The way the RFE is worded makes it sound like the schedules were left out. It is easier to submit tax transcripts that are downloaded directly from the IRS. USCIS also prefers this. 

K1 to AOS                                                                               AOS/EAD/AP                                                                     N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                               06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                                01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics                                                02/04/2023 - Biometrics Notice
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appointment

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                       01/29/2020 - AOS interview - APPROVED! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                       ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview Date - APPROVED!                     11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                               11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                    01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

A couple of things:

  1. When you say "She filed with her husband as a joint sponsor". Who is "she"? Your cousin (and her husband)? Since your cousin filed the AOS she is the primary sponsor. If your cousin is married, her spouse should be counted as part of the household size. I defer to other members more knowledgable than me to address the "husband is a joint sponsor" aspect of this.
  2. If submitting tax returns, ALL pages and ALL schedules (W-2s, 1099s, etc) must be included. The way the RFE is worded makes it sound like the schedules were left out. It is easier to submit tax transcripts that are downloaded directly from the IRS. USCIS also prefers this. 

Yes, she being the said cousin. And yes, she is married.

So now she submits all pages and schedules and a new form I864? Doe she need to write a letter explaining anything?

Edited by Na-yeon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Na-yeon said:

She filed with her husband as a joint sponsor. So he filled out a form I-864 same as her. Should she have put her husband down as a household member instead?

 

Yes.  Submit I-864 from cousin, listing husband as household member in part 6.  Also submit I-864A, signed by cousin as petitioning sponsor, and by cousin's husband as household member.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Either:

 

1. Submit IRS Tax Transcript OR

2. IRS Tax Returns + All W2s

 

You cannot mix and match 1 and 2 above. 

 

The head of house/ whose name appears first on the IRS Transcript should sign I-864.

 

The one whose name is partial should file and sign I-864A. This person should be counted on household size as your cousin and husband live together. 


Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Timona said:

The head of house/ whose name appears first on the IRS Transcript should sign I-864.

 

The one whose name is partial should file and sign I-864A. This person should be counted on household size as your cousin and husband live together. 

Even if they are not the petitioner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Timona said:

The head of house/ whose name appears first on the IRS Transcript should sign I-864.

 

The one whose name is partial should file and sign I-864A. This person should be counted on household size as your cousin and husband live together. 

2 minutes ago, Na-yeon said:

Even if they are not the petitioner?

 

It does NOT depend on whose name appears first on the IRS transcript.  It doesn't matter even if the petitioner makes $0 income.  It doesn't matter even if the sponsor's household member is the "head of house".  It is the petitioning sponsor who must sign the I-864, even if their name appears last on the IRS transcript.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Chancy said:

 

It does NOT depend on whose name appears first on the IRS transcript.  It doesn't matter even if the petitioner makes $0 income.  It doesn't matter even if the sponsor's household member is the "head of house".  It is the petitioning sponsor who must sign the I-864, even if their name appears last on the IRS transcript.

 

Gotcha. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...