15 posts in this topic

My husband is american, myself and our common child got our visas and moved summer of 2021.   My 15year old child from another father was left behind, long story. 

Anyway i have started the court process to get her moved where I am,  we have settled and in a few weeks the judge will endorse the final order.  

Anyone else who has been through a similar situation and can give me advise on what wording the consulate is looking for? Or should i go straight to notarized letter?   I've spent alot of time and money on the court process and want to get on with his without having to go back to change some words in our order.  

32 minutes ago, LisaD1234 said:

My husband is american, myself and our common child got our visas and moved summer of 2021.   My 15year old child from another father was left behind, long story. 

Anyway i have started the court process to get her moved where I am,  we have settled and in a few weeks the judge will endorse the final order.  

Anyone else who has been through a similar situation and can give me advise on what wording the consulate is looking for? Or should i go straight to notarized letter?   I've spent alot of time and money on the court process and want to get on with his without having to go back to change some words in our order.  

Have you petitioned her for a visa yet?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will not the court order cover it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Will not the court order cover it?

Yeah, but being as how its being drafted and made i wanted to make sure i have the right wording in my order.   I didn't ask for sole custody and the father wants to make sure its still says he gets visits certain times of the years.  If theyre looking for certain words in that court order that will make the process easier now is the time i can add those words in

Yeah, but being as how its being drafted and made i wanted to make sure i have the right wording in my order.   I didn't ask for sole custody and the father wants to make sure its still says he gets visits certain times of the years.  If theyre looking for certain words in that court order that will make the process easier now is the time i can add those words in

Timeline

I would think the person to ask is your Lawyer handling this.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will have to be listed as the primary custodial parent or managing conservator and you guys may need to add a line item into the custody agreement which states you will take your shared child out of country in addition to defining visitation.  

You may still want to ask him to sign and have a lawyer notarized letter stating he understands you are moving said child to the US.  This is a pretty clear cut indication he understands the magnitude of the situation.  

Check your state laws, too.  Sometimes there are legal and physical custody wordings that you may need to include as a CYA, in addition to wherever the agreement is being issued.  There may also need to be wording in the custody order that will allow you to make decisions without the father present (think health care decisions, schooling, etc). Another provision you may want to include is whether your current spouse is able to serve as a custodial decision maker in the event of an emergency.   

You want to make sure your documentation meets the requirements of the Hague Convention.  Most US states recognize Canadian court orders.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

47 minutes ago, mam521 said:

You will have to be listed as the primary custodial parent or managing conservator and you guys may need to add a line item into the custody agreement which states you will take your shared child out of country in addition to defining visitation.  

You may still want to ask him to sign and have a lawyer notarized letter stating he understands you are moving said child to the US.  This is a pretty clear cut indication he understands the magnitude of the situation.  

Check your state laws, too.  Sometimes there are legal and physical custody wordings that you may need to include as a CYA, in addition to wherever the agreement is being issued.  There may also need to be wording in the custody order that will allow you to make decisions without the father present (think health care decisions, schooling, etc). Another provision you may want to include is whether your current spouse is able to serve as a custodial decision maker in the event of an emergency.   

You want to make sure your documentation meets the requirements of the Hague Convention.  Most US states recognize Canadian court orders.  

Great information thank you.

I think along with the new order i will try and get the notarized letter.  Such a long expensive process i dont want any more delays!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, LisaD1234 said:

The lawyer will handle everything family related but is not a immigration lawyer and cant give me any advice on that side of things.  

Making sure the Order allows the child to migrate would not be an Immigration Lawyer issue.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Making sure the Order allows the child to migrate would not be an Immigration Lawyer issue.

But my question is, what wording or documents is the consulate looking for?

I am aware that's the position of my lawyer. And my daughter even had her own lawyer to speak for her wishes in the process.   We're done that part, she can move.  The order will state that she can move to the US with her mom.   But should the consulate be looking for something more specific about moving, school, visitation etc then i wanted to know that information before we go in front of the judge and have the final order endorsed.   

Timeline

I have seen this come up quite a few times with UK based cases and have not seen this as an issue, the Court Order covered it.

I have not seen any pronouncements from a Consulate as to a specific wording they expect to see.

Timeline

For my case my lawyer did not trust my ex to not try to start something with he border guards. She had the court specifically say the the kids (listed by names) are allowed to permanently move to the US with Me. I know the Montreal likes to see that words "allowed to move permanently" to the USA. If you can ask the lawyer to make sure your wording is something like that.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

My children's father signed, in front of a notarizing lawyer with lawyer seal, a formal letter including his name and address, the consulate's name and address and the following: 

Re: Immigrant Visa Application Case ID MTLXXXXXXXXX

To Whom It May Concern: 

I , <father's full name>, father to <child(ren)'s full name(s)>, consent for my child(ren) to emigrate to the United States of America on a permanent basis with their mother <mother's full name>.  

The Consulate accepted this and took the original letter and committed it to file at our interview.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.