Ytsephill88

I-130 - Beneficiary has gone by another name

20 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My spouse beneficiary has a unique name situation in that on some official documents her last name order is "Doe Smith" but on a few official documents it's "Smith Doe".

Since I'm filling out the section of "Has your beneficiary gone by any other names", should I provide an explanation on the additional information section or is that unnecessary? 

Would appreciate any input! 

Thanks

Edited by Ytsephill88

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

You're supposed to list all names used.

On the documents with name being written "Smith Doe", are you sure it's not simply a matter of them listing last name first? Maybe that's how it's done in her country for those documents. 

No, it's not that. It's due to lack of clear hand writing on her birth certificate. The government of Canada issued some ID's with one order and some ID's in another order. 
She's pursuing an official name amendent in Quebec but it's unlikely to be approved. We made sure to get her name written the way she uses it on our marriage certificate so we are using that one as the legal name. 

10 minutes ago, Ytsephill88 said:

No, it's not that. It's due to lack of clear hand writing on her birth certificate. The government of Canada issued some ID's with one order and some ID's in another order. 
She's pursuing an official name amendent in Quebec but it's unlikely to be approved. We made sure to get her name written the way she uses it on our marriage certificate so we are using that one as the legal name. 

Which docs have it reverted?

Here is driver's license specimen, also showing last name first.

drivers-licence.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ytsephill88 said:

This isn't the issue. She has two last names. On the birth certificate it is in one order (Doe Smith), and on her tax paper work it's in another order (Smith Doe). Hope that's clear!

Yes, this is much clearer and hopefully will help getting more accurate answers in this thread. I'd say list both (one in name question and the other one in other names used question) and stick to it throughout all paperwork. Does her name in passport match the birth certificate or they're in different order? If both the same, use the same pattern for any other paperwork. Because birth certificate and passport are the most important identity docs.

Edited by OldUser

6 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Yes, this is much clearer and hopefully will help getting more accurate answers in this thread. I'd say list both (one in name question and the other one in other names used question) and stick to it throughout all paperwork. Does her name in passport match the birth certificate or they're in different order? If both the same, use the same pattern for any other paperwork. Because birth certificate and passport are the most important identity docs.

The passport and birth certificate are in two different orders as well. The marriage certificate matches the passport. So in effect she has changed her name to match her passport, via the marriage certificate (issued in NY). The name we were planning to provide in the "Other names" section is the name as the order on the birth certificate. 

3 minutes ago, MMDG said:

I went through this.I went through the courts to correct my last name so it will match on all my of my official documents.

took around two months to fix.

Did you get it changed before or after submitting the petition?

14 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

List all the names in Other Names Used. You’re going to have a real issue with the BC and passport being different. 

Did you have this issue? What was your experience? My spouse is in the process of trying to change it on her BC to match her passport before the consulate interview. 

Edited by Ytsephill88

Just now, Ytsephill88 said:

Did you have this issue? What was your experience? My spouse is in the process of trying to change it on my BC to match her passport before the consulate interview. 

No, but I have a really long name with many parts, and some of my documents had to be corrected as it’s best that everything matches. There is some flexibility when middle names, or multi-part middle names are sometimes switched or omitted. Much stricter with surnames.

BC is usually considered the oldest and truest of the documents, so everything else should follow the BC. 

24 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

BC is usually considered the oldest and truest of the documents, so everything else should follow the BC. 

+100, really wanted to add this comment. Might be a very difficult thing to correct now, considering the passport was issued with name in different order. I wonder why she didn't catch it when the passport was issued in incorrect name... This may become a very painful thing in the process. 

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.