S_Flores

Rescheduling Oath Ceremony

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was scheduled to do my oath ceremony on January 5, 2023.

On December 18, I sent mail to our local field office requesting to reschedule my oath ceremony due to travel. I included the original copy of the form, my request letter and a copy of my flight ticket/information.

I still haven’t heard back from USCIS and I have not been rescheduled. I am so worried and I tried calling and I was told on December 29 that a tier 2 would call me. 

The oath ceremony is this Thursday. What should I do? Help!

Timeline

I am but I already submitted the request to reschedule including the original letter they sent that I was supposed to bring.

I wanted to reschedule because I am traveling soon and if I apply for a passport after the ceremony, it won’t make it in time for my flight. I don’t want to risk to expedite the passport because that’s not a guarantee. My grandmother is really sick and I want to come see here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Have you tried using EMMA (chat).  Sometimes that is  more effective than calling. 

If  person on the other end of the chat acknowledges your request then you have a basis for appealing any denial of your N-400 case. Screens shithtye chat session and/or record it (an Apple Mac’s screenshot utility lets you record a video of your screen). 

The other benefit of chat over the  phone  is that there are laws regulating recording your own phone calls but for chats not so much. 

Since you will still be around on the day of the oath, you could try attending the oath and explain the situation.  You would not surrender your  gc or take oath.  

OTOH,  

1.  Granted this is a long shot, if folks from the passport agency are there and willing to do an expedited passports, you might be tempted to concentrate the oath,   Or 

2. Reportedly is is easy for a Filipino to get a visa for Mexico. So complete  the oath and don’t apply for a passport. Instead travel to Mexico and walk into the USA using your naturalization certificate.  A variation of this is to apply for your passport and use a photo copy of your naturalization certificate to walk into the USA.  

Even if 1 fails, 2 is viable. 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Have you tried using EMMA (chat).  Sometimes that is  more effective than calling. 

If  person on the other end of the chat acknowledges your request then you have a basis for appealing any denial of your N-400 case. Screens shithtye chat session and/or record it (an Apple Mac’s screenshot utility lets you record a video of your screen). 

The other benefit of chat over the  phone  is that there are laws regulating recording your own phone calls but for chats not so much. 

Since you will still be around on the day of the oath, you could try attending the oath and explain the situation.  You would not surrender your  gc or take oath.  

OTOH,  

1.  Granted this is a long shot, if folks from the passport agency are there and willing to do an expedited passports, you might be tempted to concentrate the oath,   Or 

2. Reportedly is is easy for a Filipino to get a visa for Mexico. So complete  the oath and don’t apply for a passport. Instead travel to Mexico and walk into the USA using your naturalization certificate.  A variation of this is to apply for your passport and use a photo copy of your naturalization certificate to walk into the USA.  

Even if 1 fails, 2 is viable. 

Hello! Your advice to chat with Emma was super helpful! It was fast, I got to chat with an agent and I was assured that I can go on my trip and I will be rescheduled. He mentioned that it may take a while to get a new date depending on how busy the local office is but he said there is record of my phone call to USCIS last week and our chat today so I should be good.

THANK YOU!🙏🏼

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Back when I was applying for a passport and needed my congress person to check on it status - there was an option to request a congress person's help with an urgent (under 48 hours) passport appointment.

Also - there are passport agencies that can get you those super hard to come by passport appointments if needed. They're not cheap but that's an option.

I wouldn't miss my oath ceremony.

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, S_Flores said:

Hello! Your advice to chat with Emma was super helpful! It was fast, I got to chat with an agent and I was assured that I can go on my trip and I will be rescheduled. He mentioned that it may take a while to get a new date depending on how busy the local office is but he said there is record of my phone call to USCIS last week and our chat today so I should be good.

THANK YOU!🙏🏼

Did you screen shot this?

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

Reportedly is is easy for a Filipino to get a visa for Mexico. So complete  the oath and don’t apply for a passport.

OP would no longer be a Filipino after taking the US oath.  Their existing Philippine passport would be void by PH law.  Unless OP applies to reacquire Filipino citizenship and gets a new PH passport prior to travel (which will likely take longer than applying for emergency US passport), OP would not have a valid passport for travel.  Rescheduling the oath ceremony is really the only option, if OP needs to travel asap.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.