Jujusmom

How long does USCIS send receipt letter of I-751 after you send it?

22 posts in this topic

Hello! My 90-day window for filing ROC has started this December. I’m curious how long do they usually respond with the Notice of Action that will show you filed ROC thus extending the conditional green card? I’m getting ready to send my ROC on the first week of January. My GC expires on March 2. We will be traveling outside of US in the end of January and will be back on March 1. Do I have enough time to receive the notice of action? 

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It varies greatly. You should have waited to make travel plans until you had your letter in hand. 

With my AOS it took 57 days to receive the NOA.

With my ROC it took about three weeks.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Possibly, but if you come back before your GC expires you won’t need it.  I would be more concerned with possibly being called for a biometrics appointment during your two month absence.  

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

51 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

It varies greatly. You should have waited to make travel plans until you had your letter in hand. 

With my AOS it took 57 days to receive the NOA.

With my ROC it took about three weeks.

Hello! Thanks for your reply! I should have known that there are no definite timeline to USCIS. I would have waited but the travel plan is needed and urgent. 

I’m just gonna cross my finger that they respond right away. 

41 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Possibly, but if you come back before your GC expires you won’t need it.  I would be more concerned with possibly being called for a biometrics appointment during your two month absence.  

Good Luck!

Hello! Thanks for your reply! That’s what I was thinking since technically it’s still valid when I come back. If there are no delays on our flight back to US. We should be back here morning of March 1st but I’d be more confident if I have a letter just in case. 

Also to clarify we will only be gone for a month and with how USCIS is I’m hoping they don’t call me for biometrics 🤣

1 hour ago, Jujusmom said:

My GC expires on March 2. We will be traveling outside of US in the end of January and will be back on March 1.

Leaving without extension letter is a very bad plan in this case. Flights often get delayed or cancelled and you may be in big trouble if something happens to your flight.

My suggestion to either:

- Have a return flight coming back to the US about 14 days prior to GC expiry OR

- Have GC and extension letter in hand before travelling

The reason why I suggest 14 days is because sometimes the flight tickets cost a fortune. Imagine something happens to your flight and the only options you have within a week or two is $10000 flights.

Good luck !

33 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Leaving without extension letter is a very bad plan in this case. Flights often get delayed or cancelled and you may be in big trouble if something happens to your flight.

My suggestion to either:

- Have a return flight coming back to the US about 14 days prior to GC expiry OR

- Have GC and extension letter in hand before travelling

The reason why I suggest 14 days is because sometimes the flight tickets cost a fortune. Imagine something happens to your flight and the only options you have within a week or two is $10000 flights.

Good luck !

Hello! I should’ve realized that and it’s just now sinking in more. I was honestly thinking it was safe because I’ll be sending the ROC on January (I initial planned mid December but got really busy) so I have some time. I forgot how USCIS is with their actions. 

I’m hoping that I’ll have the extension letter prior to traveling on January 31st. With this, I’ll be looking at tickets just in case but will also try to send this ROC as soon as I can. I’m almost done and just need to double-check everything. 

Is a passport stamp applicable for this situation or is it really just the GC or expired GC & extension letter?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jujusmom said:

Hello! I should’ve realized that and it’s just now sinking in more. I was honestly thinking it was safe because I’ll be sending the ROC on January (I initial planned mid December but got really busy) so I have some time. I forgot how USCIS is with their actions. 

I’m hoping that I’ll have the extension letter prior to traveling on January 31st. With this, I’ll be looking at tickets just in case but will also try to send this ROC as soon as I can. I’m almost done and just need to double-check everything. 

Is a passport stamp applicable for this situation or is it really just the GC or expired GC & extension letter?

A passport stamp is not really applicable for you.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

A passport stamp is not really applicable for you.

Good Luck!

Yeah I thought so too. Well will just send this ROC as soon as I can and hope for the best. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jujusmom said:

Hello! My 90-day window for filing ROC has started this December. I’m curious how long do they usually respond with the Notice of Action that will show you filed ROC thus extending the conditional green card? I’m getting ready to send my ROC on the first week of January. My GC expires on March 2. We will be traveling outside of US in the end of January and will be back on March 1. Do I have enough time to receive the notice of action? 

Thank you

Every case is different but here is my timeline so far. 

I sent ROC on 12-19-2022
USCIS received it on 12-20-2022 (UPS)
Received the text message 12-23-2022
I got the Notice of Action letter(in Mail) on 12-27-2022, check cashed on this same date.

5 hours ago, Khufu61 said:

Every case is different but here is my timeline so far. 

I sent ROC on 12-19-2022
USCIS received it on 12-20-2022 (UPS)
Received the text message 12-23-2022
I got the Notice of Action letter(in Mail) on 12-27-2022, check cashed on this same date.

Hello! Thanks for sharing your timeline. I’m actually lurking on December 2022 filers yesterday and so far seeing majority has received their letters promptly. Hopefully it will be my case too. 

I’m 99% done with my application package and will just double check them before sending. I was thinking of sending them today if I can but also know that it will be a weekend holiday so don’t know if sending it today (and kind of rushing) will make a lot of difference. If I don’t send this today I’ll surely send it on January 3rd when they resume office. 

Does anyone know if it will hurt my ROC if I include our booking confirmation of our international travel? I know it’s dumb but I’m kind of worried and anxious that the IO who will get my file will think that I’m risking to travel so close to my GC’s expiration. Any insight will help. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Jujusmom said:

Does anyone know if it will hurt my ROC if I include our booking confirmation of our international travel? I know it’s dumb but I’m kind of worried and anxious that the IO who will get my file will think that I’m risking to travel so close to my GC’s expiration. Any insight will help. Thank you. 

It will have 0 effect, most likely.

The first appointment, which is biometrics, is probably scheduled by computer software or other people than the person reviewing your file later in the process. USCIS don't care about your travel arrangements. Think of it as a huge "conveyor" or "assembly line" in a factory with thousands of cases processed daily. It takes a lot of effort and luck to get somebody to pay attention to you, basically.

Edited by OldUser

28 minutes ago, OldUser said:

It will have 0 effect, most likely.

The first appointment, which is biometrics, is probably scheduled by computer software or other people than the person reviewing your file later in the process. USCIS don't care about your travel arrangements. Think of it as a huge "conveyor" or "assembly line" in a factory with thousands of cases processed daily. It takes a lot of effort and luck to get somebody to pay attention to you, basically.

Hello! Thank you for your input! I’ll just include it then. I was thinking that it might somehow delay even the extension letter *which I badly need at this point* lol. But thank you again! I’m relieved 😅

3 minutes ago, Jujusmom said:

Thank you for your input! I’ll just include it then.

No worries, I would NOT include it unless it's a trip you're taking with your spouse together and you're using it for bonafide evidence. Then surely, include it.

All the evidence is not going to be reviewed until much later in time (months after completing biometrics)

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

No worries, I would NOT include it unless it's a trip you're taking with your spouse together and you're using it for bonafide evidence. Then surely, include it.

All the evidence is not going to be reviewed until much later in time (months after completing biometrics)

Yeah it’s our first trip to my home country since I got here. It’ll be me, my husband and our kid. Hopefully I receive the extension letter before we leave lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.