MichaelJuan.198

Am I in trouble?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a very easy question. I have filled for citizenship and I have requested to change my name. My current name is “Michael Juan” and I requested to change to “Dexter Jean”… but then i’m thinking: is it ok to pick a new name like this? Don’t you think i might get in trouble ? are there rules as far as name change during citizenship?

Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Name changes with naturalization are done through the courts. So you can really request any name you want. Now how your birth country will deal with it will be another story.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hi @MichaelJuan.198 did you only fill N-400 form or have you already filed it with USCIS? There's a distinction. If you haven't filed, not a problem, just print out a new form, fill it with the name you want to have, and then file it.

I do not believe (people can correct me) this should cause any issue. USCIS may be curious as to why you're changing your name completely (is this related criminal stuff? Does he owe money? Etc). If you have a good explanation and reason, you should be OK.

The worst case scenario you're get naturalized under your old name. Even if for whatever reason you're denied N-400, you can always refile it.

Also, N-400 interview is a great chance to make any form corrections. If you no longer want to change your name at the time of inteview, you can tell Immigration Officer, and he will correct it.

Before you change your name completely, consider the following?

- Passports, bank account details, other docs in your home country will need to change.

- US stuff such as driver license, SSN card, banks etc will need to change

- Education documents, immigration documents would no longer match your name. Meaning you will have to explain and provide evidence of name change in the future.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.