jken

Adult son 21 y+

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I immigrated in a k1. Became a U.S. citizen 6 years ago. Long story. > I’ve been estranged from my son for 13 years. From the time I divorced his father. I continued to make attempts to connect over the years, u successfully. The entire time I was emailing my son or texting but it wasn’t really him but my ex. My ex died last year. We have since discovered that my ex was portraying g himself as my son and was telling me he didn’t want a relationship etc. at any rate… my son and I are trying to build a relationship that we were robbed of. Since his Dad died he really has no one in Canada to turn to and is very alone. He came to visit me last year in the US and us now seriously thinking of moving here. Many questions. Can he come here and apply for aos. ( ?) or do I need to apply for him to come while he’s in Canada. We’ve lost a lot of time and heartache so the quicker the better. Being legal of course. Ty everyone for your guidance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are currently processing cases filed in 2014 so it will be some time.

If he marries it will be a lot longer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, jken said:

Can he come here and apply for aos. ( ?) 

It isn’t legal because he has immigrant intent and a Canadian’s non immigrant visitor  visa exemption is single intent 

Even if there was no immigration intent, because he isn’t  under age 21, his immigration category is not eligible for adjustment of status 

13 hours ago, jken said:

do I need to apply for him to come while he’s in Canada.

File the I-130 petition for your son now, so you can get in line.  It will take around 8 years or so before your son can interview for an immigrant visa, assuming he remains single.  In the meantime, your son can come for short visits.  If he has the required qualifications, he may also consider getting TN work visa/status -- https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/tn-nafta-professionals

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.