TastyCake

N400 status - Attention Boston filers !!!

165 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 5:43 PM, TastyCake said:

This is not uncommon. It happened to me along with several others here on VJ over the last year or two.

The estimate is better thought of as a guesstimate. If there are any delays, that number will change in your online account... or you get the dreaded message you are seeing. Do not hang your hat on anything the USCIS tells you.

It took us almost a year after getting the aforementioned dreaded message before seeing any movement.

The silver lining is I just read an article today... not sure about its veracity... on how the USCIS SUPPOSEDLY got through a significant amount of its backlog in 2023:

https://www.boundless.com/blog/uscis-breaks-records-and-reduces-backlogs/

So, your wait time may not be as painfully long as ours was. But keep in mind this IS the USCIS we are talking about so everything is subject to change.

thanks! i feel like we have been out of the loop for a while with USCIS and now the Citizenship i’m back to all the crazy waiting. It’s annoying because i know people who were finished in 5 months total and filed 2023. seems frustrating to just be stuck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, kjc22 said:

any advice on if calling does anything at all? and a number to call? when doing the k1 we used to call all the time and get to a representative. not sure if the system has changed or if we are doing something wrong but can’t get through to a live person 

At least at our stage... in 2024... I don't think calling gets you anywhere. At the K1/I-129f level 4-5 years ago you used to be able to get to an agent easier and could even request a Tier 2 at the outset of the call and they would put you through.

Ask for a Tier 2 today and they won't do it if your question is something they are already equipped to address.

It's also a bit tricky to get to a live person now. I find saying Infopass at the first prompt and then indicating you don't have your case # is the most consistent way to getting an actual human being these days.

Still, the agents don't help a whole lot when you actually get to them.

Maybe others have a different, less pessimistic view regarding calling the USCIS.

So I received the interview notice for my I-751. It's on the same day as my N-400, but at a different time of the day (morning for the I-751 and afternoon for N-400). On closer inspection, while the notice is addressed to me (proper name and address), the A-number and the Receipt Number don't belong to me! Even the contact center agent was flummoxed. Their recommendation to me was "show up for your N-400 interview where they usually combine the I-751 interview, and give them the notice that has the different Receipt Number", which scares me a little (as the stated I-751 interview is earlier in the day). Has anyone heard something happen like this before?

In the mean time, if anyone here has a case ending in 266 let me know, I might have your interview notice 😂

Edited by digitalplumbing

Timeline
2 hours ago, digitalplumbing said:

So I received the interview notice for my I-751. It's on the same day as my N-400, but at a different time of the day (morning for the I-751 and afternoon for N-400). On closer inspection, while the notice is addressed to me (proper name and address), the A-number and the Receipt Number don't belong to me! Even the contact center agent was flummoxed. Their recommendation to me was "show up for your N-400 interview where they usually combine the I-751 interview, and give them the notice that has the different Receipt Number", which scares me a little (as the stated I-751 interview is earlier in the day). Has anyone heard something happen like this before?

In the mean time, if anyone here has a case ending in 266 let me know, I might have your interview notice 😂

The first thing I did after reading your post was dive for our I-751 interview letter and check the A and receipt numbers. Both are correct on the letter.

Your situation is a first for me. I agree with the advice to bring all documents to the N-400 interview and let the Rhodes scholars at the USCIS sort it all out during the interview.

2 hours ago, digitalplumbing said:

Make sure to show up to the first morning appointment no matter what. It's best to be there early than to skip it and discover it was indeed for you at N-400 interview.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline

Talking about dysfunction at USCIS...  If you guys recall, my hubby gave his oath last week. Guess what! Yesterday he received his 10-year green card! :D What are we supposed to do with it now???

K-1

NOA1: 01/25/2019

NOA2: 04/22/2019

I-485

NOA1: 07/25/2019

Interview: 11/21/2019 Approved

I-751

NOA1: 09/03/2021

Interview: 02/08/2024

Approved: 02/08/2024

N-400

NOA1:08/24/2022

Interview: 02/08/2024

Oath:02/21/2024

Timeline
19 minutes ago, zanzala said:

Talking about dysfunction at USCIS...  If you guys recall, my hubby gave his oath last week. Guess what! Yesterday he received his 10-year green card! :D What are we supposed to do with it now???

In all seriousness, CYA. Contact the USCIS immediately about next steps. It may be as simple as them telling you to destroy the card. Or, they may have a procedure for you to follow.

But yes I am shaking my head at the dysfunction.

Hi team!

Last November, I was granted approval for my 10 years green card, which I now have in my possession. However, I received a surprising letter today regarding an interview for I751, which happens to be scheduled for the same day and time as my  N400 interview.

I think I am the winner here (haha).

I was planning to take with me my husband to the N400 Interview anyway. Now, should we prepare for a I751? I already have my permanent Green card.

Edited by Cata&Ben

10 minutes ago, Cata&Ben said:

Hi team!

Last November, I was granted approval for my 10 years green card, which I now have in my possession. However, I received a surprising letter today regarding an interview for I751, which happens to be scheduled for the same day and time as my  N400 interview.

I was planning to take with me my husband to the N400 Interview anyway. Now, should we prepare for a I751? I already have my permanent Green card.

10 minutes ago, Cata&Ben said:

Hi team!

No, I don't think you need to worry about the i-751 interview. I do think it's wise for your husband to come along, and, just in case I think you can take the initiative and mention to the interviewer that there seems to have been a glitch with the notice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.