TastyCake

N400 status - Attention Boston filers !!!

164 posts in this topic

I had the combo interview today and it was a touch more mixed than I would have liked.

The N400 part was open and shut. Nailed the questions and English tests due to studying and from speaking English since I was 4.

The I751 portion didn't go as well as I would have liked. We brought a bunch of documents and photos, but the officer didn't seem to care about most of this. He asked me why our driver licenses had different addresses (one was old and nearing expiration) and seemed to take issue with that. He also didn't like that we didn't have bank statements from our savings account where we pay our mortgage from (we instead took statements from only our checking account). He also didn't seem to care about the actual legally recorded mortgage document, which seemed odd.

He asked us some general questions but never cross-examined us. As in, he asked us about ourselves, never each other. This section was also very short. Maybe 10 minutes?

At the end of the interview he confirmed that he was satisfied with the N400 interview but needed to do some "checking on background things" to process the I751. We confirmed he didn't want to see any photos or any other documents and then left. Of note, he did not give us any paperwork detailing the outcome of the N400 interview.

Unable to edit the original post, but my N400 case status did update to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled" around 2 hours after the interview. Probably in the clear but will continue to monitor.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Robbernosky said:

Unable to edit the original post, but my N400 case status did update to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled" around 2 hours after the interview. Probably in the clear but will continue to monitor.

So, was this guy being nice about it but he just had some general concerns about some inconsistencies he felt he saw?

Or was he cantankerous and just being a world class pr!ck?

Was your interview yesterday or today? No change in I-751 status yet?

I hope we don't get him in a couple of weeks.

Not a ####### but definitely cold and standoffish from the beginning. Very different from our last interviewer who was warm and looked at our pictures and asked us to talk about each other.

Interview was about 3 hours ago.

No change in I751 status.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Robbernosky said:

Not a ####### but definitely cold and standoffish from the beginning. Very different from our last interviewer who was warm and looked at our pictures and asked us to talk about each other.

Interview was about 3 hours ago.

No change in I751 status.

When you got there how long did it take before you were called in? Long wait? A lot of people there?

Geez, you wait all this time only to get there and have to deal with an attitude.

2 hours ago, Robbernosky said:

Arrived 15 minutes early, waited about 30 minutes in total! And yeah, I was really hoping for the last officer.

Congratulations! You are almost done! Actually had a very different experience in February. I waited for almost an hour for an interview. The interviewer was really nice and we just chatted the entire time. We bonded over some tri-state experiences and he picked my brain about a couple of career related issues. I was surprised that he didn't ask me to use an iPad to take the civics test

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Robbernosky said:

My minor trepidation yesterday seems unwarranted as I was scheduled today for an oath ceremony at the end of March. Hopefully nearing the end!

I think you had a legit concern because of the way the officer behaved. The problem is these officers have a 'god' complex and some probably get a charge out of rattling people's cages.

They hold the cards. Absolute power. This person was just being a jerk for no good reason.

Congrats! We hope to be in your position a couple of weeks from now (successfully adjudicated cases, oath ceremony scheduled, etc.).

Any change in the status of your I-751? <<insert laughter here>>

On 3/6/2024 at 4:00 PM, Robbernosky said:

I had the combo interview today and it was a touch more mixed than I would have liked.

The N400 part was open and shut. Nailed the questions and English tests due to studying and from speaking English since I was 4.

The I751 portion didn't go as well as I would have liked. We brought a bunch of documents and photos, but the officer didn't seem to care about most of this. He asked me why our driver licenses had different addresses (one was old and nearing expiration) and seemed to take issue with that. He also didn't like that we didn't have bank statements from our savings account where we pay our mortgage from (we instead took statements from only our checking account). He also didn't seem to care about the actual legally recorded mortgage document, which seemed odd.

He asked us some general questions but never cross-examined us. As in, he asked us about ourselves, never each other. This section was also very short. Maybe 10 minutes?

At the end of the interview he confirmed that he was satisfied with the N400 interview but needed to do some "checking on background things" to process the I751. We confirmed he didn't want to see any photos or any other documents and then left. Of note, he did not give us any paperwork detailing the outcome of the N400 interview.

This is so odd!

On 3/7/2024 at 3:49 PM, Cata&amp;Ben said:

This is so odd!

Not odd at all. Drivers licenses should have matching addresses. This is the basics. Bringing jointly filed tax return transcripts, statements from all joint banking accounts is a must with pending I-751. Just because in many cases people don't get asked for those doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken to the interview.

Timeline

Question to those who have recently taken the civics test (as part of the N-400 interview) at the downtown Boston USCIS office (JFK Federal Building across from City Hall).

How is the civics test administered? Do they hand you an iPad to take the test interactively? Does the officer read the questions off verbally and you reply with your answer(s)? Other?

Any information and guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

46 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

Question to those who have recently taken the civics test (as part of the N-400 interview) at the downtown Boston USCIS office (JFK Federal Building across from City Hall).

How is the civics test administered? Do they hand you an iPad to take the test interactively? Does the officer read the questions off verbally and you reply with your answer(s)? Other?

No iPad. He read the questions and I gave him the answers. It wasn't a multiple choice test, as they do on the app.

Timeline
11 hours ago, TastyCake said:

Yes, no IPad. You have to answer verbally.  Our officer was nice, when my hubby answered one question wrong, but then asked a clarifying question, and then answered correctly- the officer accepted the right answer. 

K-1

NOA1: 01/25/2019

NOA2: 04/22/2019

I-485

NOA1: 07/25/2019

Interview: 11/21/2019 Approved

I-751

NOA1: 09/03/2021

Interview: 02/08/2024

Approved: 02/08/2024

N-400

NOA1:08/24/2022

Interview: 02/08/2024

Oath:02/21/2024

Timeline
1 hour ago, zanzala said:

Yes, no IPad. You have to answer verbally.  Our officer was nice, when my hubby answered one question wrong, but then asked a clarifying question, and then answered correctly- the officer accepted the right answer. 

I hope we get your officer. 😉

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.