AbigailB08

I-131 approval, things to know?

10 posts in this topic

Hello! Not sure if this is the right forum but hopefully it will get directed where it needs to go.

We woke up to an approved i-131 and plan to go back to visit his family for Christmas this year. What are some things to know or any sorts of risk? We only have the approval on the website, how long does it take for actual AP to get mailed out? What's it like travelling with AP? I imagine there's a discussion out there on this site already but I couldn't find it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

The only cases I’ve heard of AP holders being denied entry come from lawyers or customers or lawyers who tell those customers that hearsay. 

I’ve yet to read a single case of an AP holder being denied entry once they arrive a U.S. port of entry.  The only negative experience my wife had using it was the first time:

1. Airline (China Airlines) initially refused to board her. Luckily the station (RGN) manager over ruled his employees. Keep a copy of  https://www.cbp.gov/document/guides/carrier-information-guide-english with you. 

2. upon arrival, she was sent to secondary. The queue was 3 hours long and it was Faraday Cage. To say I was panicking eating for her outside the arrivals halls is an understatement. 

There are plenty of first hand accounts of AP holders being admitted but verbally abused by CBP to the point where they vow to never use it again.  But they were admitted. 

If you do lose your AP document while abroad you are in a lot of trouble (unless you are in Canada or Mexico) though:

Edited by Mike E

Just now, Mike E said:

The only cases I’ve heard of AP holders being denied entry come from lawyers or customers or lawyers who tell those customers that hearsay. 

I’ve yet to read a single case of an AP holder being denied entry once they arrive a U.S. port of entry.  The only negative experience my wife had using it was the first time:

1. Airline (China Airlines) initially refused to board her. Luckily the station (RGN) manager over ruled his employees. Keep a copy of  https://www.cbp.gov/document/guides/carrier-information-guide-english with you. 

2. upon arrival, she was sent to secondary. The queue was 3 hours long and it was Faraday Cage. To say I was panicking eating for her outside the arrivals halls is an understatement. 

If you do lose your AP document while abroad you are in a lot of trouble (unless you are in Canada or Mexico) though:

Thanks for some helpful advice! I should know this but I don't, what IS the AP document? Is it the approval letter or do they create a card? It's not going to be a part of the combo card 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

Thanks for some helpful advice! I should know this but I don't, what IS the AP document? Is it the approval letter or do they create a card? It's not going to be a part of the combo card 

It will be an 8.5 X 11 inch sheet of paper. The Carrier Information Guide has an example on page 45. That example is on green paper with a photo of the holder and says “I-512”

Edited by Mike E

When I got mine in June of this year, it took about 10 days from approval to getting the card in the mail.

You'll have to go to secondary every time you come in on AP, and that can take a while depending on the airport (I've come back on it twice). They didn't ask me any questions, they just took my passport and document, led me to secondary and called my name 30-60 mins later, handed them back and let me through.

09/15/21 - Sent packet via USPS to Chicago lockbox

09/22/21 - Priority date

09/26/21 - Text/email confirmation of receipt by USCIS

09/28/21 - Checks cashed by USCIS

09/30/21 - Received I-797C for I-485, I-765, I-131 and I-130 in mail

10/09/21 - USCIS online account updates to schedule biometrics

11/01/21 - Biometrics appointment (Brooklyn, NY)

11/04/21 - Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

02/14/22 - I-765 Expedite requested

02/24/22 - Expedite evidence sent

03/23/22 - EAD arrived in mail

05/06/22 - AP approved (expedited)

01/03/23 - RFE for I-693, case transferred to Boise, ID office

01/17/23 - I-485 approved

01/25/23 - GC arrived in mail

Timeline
5 hours ago, CelloLover said:

So then what is the combo card?

A combo card is

1. An EAD (the width and length of a credit card) with small print on the front’s bottom: “SERVES AS I-512 ADVANCE PAROLE”.  

2. Rarely issued now

3. Rejected by some airline personnel as a boarding document 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.