MikeandJessica

NVC made note that case does not meet minimum income

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello, we have been approved "DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED" for wife and children, NVC is passing on to consulate for interview appointment. They made a note that says: "This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p." I submitted full proof of income as Letter of employment, mid-year W2 and paycheck stubs showing full time employment and earnings. Is for family size of 4 which is $34k at 125%  guidelines , my annual income exceeds this by around $20K? Should I be concerned? My wife will have all supporting documents at interview, any reason they would delay visa? 

Edited by MikeandJessica
More info

Timeline

Any comments would be welcome. Don't think I can get joint sponsor. Income should be enough? Family is also already on Full medical plan...... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, MikeandJessica said:

Any comments would be welcome. Don't think I can get joint sponsor. Income should be enough? Family is also already on Full medical plan...... 

its a standard letter sent for all sorts of reasons… some valid, some  not.. the IO has the final say .. if you are confident that your financial situation .. not just current but over the past 3 years.. is more than adequate and stable .. then stick with what has been uploaded and attend the interview. The officer has the  final say 

Timeline

Was just helping someone in your situation, and USCIS wanted to see the prior year's tax return.  When this couple filed, they had not yet submitted their tax return.  Wife makes substantially over the 125% mark.

If you did not send 2021 tax returns or tax transcripts with your case, then you might want to add that.  My friend had exactly the same wording.  Instead of saying "From the documents you sent, we are unable to determine if you fully meet the 125% mark", they send the joint sponsor stuff.

Please note that USCIS prefers tax return transcripts, as that proves to them what your income is from an IRS perspective.

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Sukie,  So I took a break from working for about 5 years in Alaska, but did did work that last year before returning to California. I submitted the transcripts for that year, but it was only part-time jobs. I do have very solid work history before leaving California, 20+ years, last 10 of those same employer ($100K+), government. Should I / can I still upload transcripts for those years? Or have my wife just bring them to the interview? Your thoughts? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, MikeandJessica said:

Sukie,  So I took a break from working for about 5 years in Alaska, but did did work that last year before returning to California. I submitted the transcripts for that year, but it was only part-time jobs. I do have very solid work history before leaving California, 20+ years, last 10 of those same employer ($100K+), government. Should I / can I still upload transcripts for those years? Or have my wife just bring them to the interview? Your thoughts? 

Was your 2021 income sufficient?  That's what they are looking for.  If 2021 was not sufficient, you'll need a joint sponsor.  All that wonderful work in the past doesn't count, unfortunately.

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

7 hours ago, MikeandJessica said:

Hello, we have been approved "DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED" for wife and children, NVC is passing on to consulate for interview appointment. They made a note that says: "This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p." I submitted full proof of income as Letter of employment, mid-year W2 and paycheck stubs showing full time employment and earnings. Is for family size of 4 which is $34k at 125%  guidelines , my annual income exceeds this by around $20K? Should I be concerned? My wife will have all supporting documents at interview, any reason they would delay visa? 

There is a significant wait for interviews in Nigeria (will your family be interviewing in Lagos?). 

I would hold off on uploading a joint sponsor as your wife might have to bring 2022 taxes to the interview. 

And if that is sufficient and your current income at the time of interview is more than enough, you should be fine.

We received the same message and did not upload a joint sponsor and the visa was approved. 

Timeline

ROK2USA,  that makes sense. Yes, from Lagos. If her interview date is past Jan1st then should be able to file taxes in time and show that income which will be above the guideline, guessing that will be sufficient for them? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, MikeandJessica said:

ROK2USA,  that makes sense. Yes, from Lagos. If her interview date is past Jan1st then should be able to file taxes in time and show that income which will be above the guideline, guessing that will be sufficient for them? 

Ultimately, as others have said, it's up to the CO.  They care about your CURRENT financial situation, not the past, so your work in Alaska is moot.  They want to know that when your wife and children arrive, they will not become wards of the state.  If you have a much better financial situation, the newest year's taxes could definitely be helpful. 

I'd still find a joint sponsor, just in case.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

Thanks mam521.... I will get 2022 taxes done as soon as possible.  My wife should do well in convincing the CO we will be fine financially and will have the documents to show.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.