Saihtiam

November 2022 I-130 Filers

66 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update: We submitted our documents to NVC on the 8th of December 2023, and we were documentarily qualified on the 14th of December 2023.

Now all that remains is waiting for the consulate interview scheduling and the medical before that.

Great progress before the holidays. The wait felt in the USCIS stage felt like it would never end, but NVC has moved quickly!

Best of luck to everyone else and happy Yuletide :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi, I have a PD 11/28/2022. Reading through recent posts here, are some permanent residents that applied for family members or all US citizens?

My sponsor is a permanent resident. Is there any permanent residents posting here with PDs in November 2022 have had cases approved recently?

Thank you.

Happy 2024 everyone! We started the year off with positive news too. We got a message from NVC saying we were DQ. Now we're just waiting for the consulate date and to arrange the medical. It only took a few weeks after submitting the DS  260 and the financial sponsorship info so we were a little surprised. 

Does anyone know if we need to schedule the medical ourselves after we hear from the consulate or should we do it earlier?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 4:50 PM, caler355 said:

Hi, I have a PD 11/28/2022. Reading through recent posts here, are some permanent residents that applied for family members or all US citizens?

My sponsor is a permanent resident. Is there any permanent residents posting here with PDs in November 2022 have had cases approved recently?

Thank you.

It won’t make a difference at the I-130 stage whether the petitioner is a citizen or LPR. 

It’s only after that that it’l make a difference as you’ll be subject to the visa wait, unlike those married to USC’s. When can your spouse apply for citizenship? 

On 1/12/2024 at 7:57 PM, Saihtiam said:

We just received an email from NVC to tell us we have an embassy appointment date in February 😁

That’s awesome! Congratulations to you and your spouse. Can you share with us your DQ date and which embassy? 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:57 PM, Saihtiam said:

We just received an email from NVC to tell us we have an embassy appointment date in February 😁

Same for us! Updated my timeline accordingly for those who are curious.

Surreal to have reached this point, and exciting!

@caler355 The timeline for green card holders filing for family members are longer than US citizens filing for family members. According to google search, it’s currently between 22 to 33 months for the I-130 to be approved. 

Edited by Moda25

@appleblossom It does make a difference. The I-130 approval timelines for green card holders and USC are different. It’ll take between 22 months and 33 months for the green card holders to be approved. You can do a google search on it.

35 minutes ago, Moda25 said:

@appleblossom It does make a difference. The I-130 approval timelines for green card holders and USC are different. It’ll take between 22 months and 33 months for the green card holders to be approved. You can do a google search on it.

I would personally only use official sources and VJ for processing time info, rather than a Google search which could bring up any website (and there are at least a few that are notoriously unreliable). The quoted processing times are for all applications, regardless of the status of the petitioner.

When the status of the petitioner does make a difference is the wait time for a visa after the I-130 has been approved, and of course it can also make a difference which service centre the I-130 is sent to. 

Edited by appleblossom

@appleblossom I agree with not trusting google but it’s not true that the approval timeline for all immigrant visas are the same. Take for instance when a US citizen files for a sibling, it takes about 10 years to get approval, then you wait at the NVC for additional 10 years or so. If the timelines are the same as you say, why hasn’t OP received approval when everyone else whose petitioner is a citizen received theirs even though they filed at the same time? It’s been 3 months since they all received theirs. On google search, the timelines for USC is 10-14 months which is accurate. Mine took 11 months to approve. Why would the one for GC holders be wrong? 

45 minutes ago, Moda25 said:

@appleblossom I agree with not trusting google but it’s not true that the approval timeline for all immigrant visas are the same. Take for instance when a US citizen files for a sibling, it takes about 10 years to get approval, then you wait at the NVC for additional 10 years or so. 

Can you give me an example of an I-130 taking 10 years to be approved? Never heard of that, and if you look at the timelines on here you'll see most have their I-130's processing within the quoted processing times. Here's a recent thread re: a LPR petitioning for a family member, I-130 took only 4 months to be approved - https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/815880-approved-i-130-need-help/

What does take a long time when petitioning for a sibling is the wait for a visa to become available, that'll be 15+ years. 

45 minutes ago, Moda25 said:

@appleblossom If the timelines are the same as you say, why hasn’t OP received approval when everyone else whose petitioner is a citizen received theirs even though they filed at the same time? It’s been 3 months since they all received theirs. On google search, the timelines for USC is 10-14 months which is accurate. Mine took 11 months to approve. Why would the one for GC holders be wrong? 

If you look at the OP's timeline, you'll see it was approved in September 2023, so took 10 months. 

But there will be various factors that will have an influence on the amount of time the I-130 takes, and the main one is the service centre. USCIS used to give processing times for each service centre, but now lumps them all in together for 10-14 months for some reason, which isn't hugely helpful really. Worth noting too that the 10-14 months quoted is only for 80% of applicants, so 20% of applicants will have their applications take longer or less time than that, not everybody will definitely have their answer by month 14. 

Edited by appleblossom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.