Bri74

DV lottery eligibility when retired

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Bri74 said:

Hi!

My father is retired. He doesn't have a high school degree, but he meets the work requirement ..... 2 years of work experience, only not in the past 5 years. If selected, would he be denied at the interview? 

Thank you all for your help.

two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience to perform. 

The above statement from yhe official DV info page is very clear. From the information you have given, your father is not eligible. His application wpukd be rejected. He would not enter yhe lottery, let alone get an interview 

If you are a USC, you can look at sponsoring him for IR5 immigrant visa. If you are LPR, you can pursue Naturalization if/when eligible and once you take the oath, can petition for him immediately 

Yes, he would be denied, he does not meet the requirements. As you correctly noted, the work experience being in the past 5 years is a requirement.  (It’s not actually clear from your post if the work experience is at the required level but the time frame disqualifies him anyway.)

19 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience to perform. 

The above statement from yhe official DV info page is very clear. From the information you have given, your father is not eligible. His application wpukd be rejected. He would not enter yhe lottery, let alone get an interview 

If you are a USC, you can look at sponsoring him for IR5 immigrant visa. If you are LPR, you can pursue Naturalization if/when eligible and once you take the oath, can petition for him immediately 

Just to point out that what I bolded above is not correct.  If someone is selected and they have submitted a DS260 and their number is current, they will get an interview.  There is no pre-sorting done - only a consular official in an interview can determine whether or not the applicant is qualified for a DV. In any case the eligibility criteria do not have to be met at the time of entry, only by interview - and there is no way to prove work eligibility on the entry form anyway. So no one is selected out on eligibility criteria at any stage of the process before interview.   So in this case the applicant if selected would go through the entire process, pay for medicals etc and the interview fee and only then get officially told what they knew all along, that they are not eligible. The only disqualification right after entry /selection would be for duplicate entries, and if they pick that up the entry itself does not get announced as selected (this is why DV case numbers are not all consecutive).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Thanks! .... that's what I thought, hoping there may be a way for retirees 😒

He has the required level, just not in the past 5 years! So only my mother should enter the lottery (she has a high school diploma). Unfortunately, I'm not USC or LPR, trying my luck at the lottery too 😉. Maybe I should also consider a EB3.

It's not easy to immigrate to the us, there are only a few ways 😒

Have a nice day!

Edited by Bri74

Well, if the retiree is rich enough they can do an EB5 visa. Other than that or family sponsorship, no. Not sure where you are but it’s a lot cheaper to get a golden visa in a number of EU countries than in the US, if that’s an attractive alternative. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Bri74 said:

We are in France and Belgium 😉 My parents are not rich enough for an EB5, and never-ending neither am I. The lottery is our best chance, and I'm looking at the EB3 requirements as an alternative! I know the EB3 is a long process, but the lottery can be a never-ending one if we never get selected!

The cost of medical insurance for older non working immigrants is astronomical. Make sure you look into all these costs .. it will very quickly use up any $$ you or they may have. 

Edited by Lil bear

25 minutes ago, Bri74 said:

We are in France and Belgium 😉 My parents are not rich enough for an EB5, and never-ending neither am I. The lottery is our best chance, and I'm looking at the EB3 requirements as an alternative! I know the EB3 is a long process, but the lottery can be a never-ending one if we never get selected!

Curious why elderly, retired, not-rich parents want to move to the US. Have you looked at how expensive medical care for the elderly is? As they have already retired they will not be able to do any contributions for social security /Medicare (much less max them, requires 10 years) - Medicare funds the vast majority of elderly medical expenses in the US and not having it can be financially crippling if things go wrong. Things went pretty wrong with my dad and his medical /hospital expenses are somewhere in the upper 6 figures by now, thankfully all paid by Medicare + gap insurance. He certainly didn’t have $600-700k lying around to pay it all.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They could get Medicaid for Day 1 in California and New York, maybe elsewhere but certainly those 2 provide it to new immigrants.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They could get Medicaid for Day 1 in California and New York, maybe elsewhere but certainly those 2 provide it to new immigrants.

Well, maybe , seeing as they are not looking at family sponsors but would have to rather show they would be not a public charge to get DV, they could well fall into the donut hole where they don’t qualify for Medicaid but can’t afford medical care. Of course that’s even aside from the how the general cost of living in California and New York factors into the overall affordability equation. Assuming most immigrants dont  want to live in the sticks just to be able to afford to be here.

12 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

they are not looking at family sponsors but would have to rather show they would be not a public charge to get DV,

I thought it didn't really matter for DV, since there isn't sponsorship, etc?

32 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I thought it didn't really matter for DV, since there isn't sponsorship, etc?

It matters more because there’s no sponsorship - it’s up to the applicant to prove they won’t be a public charge. Being selected for DV doesn’t get you off of any fundamental immigrant visa requirements, of which public charge is obviously a critical one.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions.pdf

FAQ 37

If you are selected to apply for a DV, before being issued a visa you must demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States.  If you are selected and submit a diversity visa application, you should familiarize yourself with the Department of State’s public guidance on how the likelihood of becoming a public charge is assessed and what evidence can be provided to demonstrate that you are not likely to become a public charge.

17 hours ago, Lil bear said:

The cost of medical insurance for older non working immigrants is astronomical. Make sure you look into all these costs .. it will very quickly use up any $$ you or they may have. 

They would be able to keep their french health insurance, it helps!

17 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Curious why elderly, retired, not-rich parents want to move to the US. Have you looked at how expensive medical care for the elderly is? As they have already retired they will not be able to do any contributions for social security /Medicare (much less max them, requires 10 years) - Medicare funds the vast majority of elderly medical expenses in the US and not having it can be financially crippling if things go wrong. Things went pretty wrong with my dad and his medical /hospital expenses are somewhere in the upper 6 figures by now, thankfully all paid by Medicare + gap insurance. He certainly didn’t have $600-700k lying around to pay it all.  

I said they are not rich enough for EB5 (which requires $850.000 and is a risky investment), it doesn"t mean they are poor! In fact, they own multiple condos for rental income, and 1 for family use (we've spent our vacations there for the past 20 years). My father is retired, but my mother is still working, remotely, they have assets in the US,  they would have enough money to support themselves, and they certainly don't want to be a public charge.

The point of my first post was just to know if there may be a way around the "2 years of work experience in the past 5 years" requirement for a retiree!

French health insurance to pay indefinite medical bills throughout their retirement in the US? Really? I’m surprised. Anyway if not, it sounds like they won’t have a problem paying for health insurance plus deductibles in the US, so that’s fine. Probably be a couple thousand dollars a month plus the deductibles for the couple, sounds like their rental incomes should be more than enough for that. If your mom gets selected.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.