Bri74

DV lottery eligibility when retired

27 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Bri74 said:

They would be able to keep their french health insurance, it helps!

No US health care provider or hospital will accept that.  They would have to pay up front and hope to get reimbursed.

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

No US health care provider or hospital will accept that.  They would have to pay up front and hope to get reimbursed.

Curious as to what insurance exactly it is - clearly not French public health insurance, which ceases coverage for those who spend more than 6 months a year outside France and doesn’t cover medical costs abroad.  If it’s private insurance it’s not clear why that’s preferable to just getting US insurance.

Under the terms of France’s public healthcare system, if you are planning to spend more than half of the year out of the country, you aren’t eligible for continuous coverage. Thus, short-term expatriates going abroad for a short work term will be happy to know that their coverage continues. But that only applies when they are home. They aren’t covered for medical expenses that happen in another country. And if they are gone for more than 6 months, whether or not it's continuous, they lose their eligibility.  Furthermore, they will have to reapply for coverage once they return home.

https://www.internationalinsurance.com/expatriates/french-citizens-abroad.php

anyway this is all a long digression for the 0.5% or so chance they have to win the lottery. They can worry about it when they get selected.

On 11/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, SusieQQQ said:

French health insurance to pay indefinite medical bills throughout their retirement in the US? Really? I’m surprised. Anyway if not, it sounds like they won’t have a problem paying for health insurance plus deductibles in the US, so that’s fine. Probably be a couple thousand dollars a month plus the deductibles for the couple, sounds like their rental incomes should be more than enough for that. If your mom gets selected.

No, of course, it won't work in the US, they would have to go back to France if they need expensive care or just for a yearly check-up.

4 minutes ago, Bri74 said:

No, of course, it won't work in the US, they would have to go back to France if they need expensive care or just for a yearly check-up.

On 11/2/2022 at 2:56 AM, Bri74 said:

They would be able to keep their french health insurance, it helps!

Bit contradictory

also seems they wouldn’t be able to keep it anyway if they’re living elsewhere 

anyway 99.5% chance they don’t need to worry about it at all, and I’m sure they’ll figure it out if your mom gets selected.

10 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Curious as to what insurance exactly it is - clearly not French public health insurance, which ceases coverage for those who spend more than 6 months a year outside France and doesn’t cover medical costs abroad.  If it’s private insurance it’s not clear why that’s preferable to just getting US insurance.

Under the terms of France’s public healthcare system, if you are planning to spend more than half of the year out of the country, you aren’t eligible for continuous coverage. Thus, short-term expatriates going abroad for a short work term will be happy to know that their coverage continues. But that only applies when they are home. They aren’t covered for medical expenses that happen in another country. And if they are gone for more than 6 months, whether or not it's continuous, they lose their eligibility.  Furthermore, they will have to reapply for coverage once they return home.

https://www.internationalinsurance.com/expatriates/french-citizens-abroad.php

anyway this is all a long digression for the 0.5% or so chance they have to win the lottery. They can worry about it when they get selected.

Well, the website you are referring to is wrong! French citizens can live abroad and keep their public health insurance coverage if they get pension from the French system!

Since July 1, 2019, if you live in a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland/United Kingdom that has not signed a social security agreement with France providing for the payment of your care, the reimbursement of your health during your temporary stays in France will be possible on the condition that you have contributed for at least 15 years to one or more compulsory French social security schemes during your professional career.

If you were affiliated with Cnarefe before July 1, 2019 and if you live in a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland/United Kingdom that has not signed a social security agreement with France providing for the payment of your care and if you can justify a contribution period equal to or greater than 10 years, you can continue to benefit from the coverage of your care during your temporary stays in France by Cnarefe. To allow the regularization of your file, you can contact the Cnarefe:

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Bit contradictory

also seems they wouldn’t be able to keep it anyway if they’re living elsewhere 

anyway 99.5% chance they don’t need to worry about it at all, and I’m sure they’ll figure it out if your mom gets selected.

Yep, as you said, first step is to get selected😉 If it happens, they won't have to worry about their French health insurance, they know exactly their rights!

28 minutes ago, Bri74 said:

Well, the website you are referring to is wrong! French citizens can live abroad and keep their public health insurance coverage if they get pension from the French system!

Since July 1, 2019, if you live in a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland/United Kingdom that has not signed a social security agreement with France providing for the payment of your care, the reimbursement of your health during your temporary stays in France will be possible on the condition that you have contributed for at least 15 years to one or more compulsory French social security schemes during your professional career.

If you were affiliated with Cnarefe before July 1, 2019 and if you live in a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland/United Kingdom that has not signed a social security agreement with France providing for the payment of your care and if you can justify a contribution period equal to or greater than 10 years, you can continue to benefit from the coverage of your care during your temporary stays in France by Cnarefe. To allow the regularization of your file, you can contact the Cnarefe:

Reimbursement of health during temporary stays in France. That doesn’t cover most of what they’ll need. Anyway, not worth the time discussing until it actually becomes an issue. Let us know if your mom gets selected. 

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Reimbursement of health during temporary stays in France. That doesn’t cover most of what they’ll need. Anyway, not worth the time discussing until it actually becomes an issue. Let us know if your mom gets selected. 

It covers a lot! Being able to just fly back to France for expensive surgery or any other high-cost care is a great advantage!

I'll let you know if my mom gets selected, or me, or my brother 😉

Edited by Bri74

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does it cover the cost of an Air Ambulance?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Bri74 said:

It covers a lot! Being able to just fly back to France for expensive surgery or any other high-cost care is a great advantage!

I'll let you know if my mom gets selected, or me, or my brother 😉

That’s quite funny. Or would be if the implications weren’t so serious. What happens if there is an emergency like an accident and they have to operate immediately in the US? You know surgery can go into 6 figures? I really hope you’re not stupid enough to go completely uncovered in the US. It’s pretty clear you’ve never experienced a system where almost all healthcare is private.

How old are you and your brother?

14 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

That’s quite funny. Or would be if the implications weren’t so serious. What happens if there is an emergency like an accident and they have to operate immediately in the US? You know surgery can go into 6 figures? I really hope you’re not stupid enough to go completely uncovered in the US. It’s pretty clear you’ve never experienced a system where almost all healthcare is private.

How old are you and your brother?

Who do you think you are to judge people without knowing them?? This conversation becomes ridiculously insulting!

My mother is an extremely organized person, my parents would never go uncovered!! And as I said before, they have enough money to get insurance in the US. They are not stupid, they know they need coverage in case of an emergency, and for everything that can be planned ahead, they would rather go back to France where they wouldn't have to pay deductible or out-of-pocket! It will probably cost them $2.000 to $3.000/month for coverage in the US + 200 €/month for a "mutuelle" in France, that's not a big deal!

Why are you so upset about this French health insurance? What is it you don't understand?

I didn't know I would have to explain and justify everything I say to be taken seriously!!! How crazy!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.