jp1000

[London] I got the 221(g) and have been requested to provide my partners (the petitioner) divorce certificate - does anyone have any experience with this or are able to tell me what to expect? (merged)

26 posts in this topic

So as the title says, today I got the 221(g) and have been requested to provide my partners divorce certificate.

We're looking into how to get the original certificate now. I had thought we included a divorce decree with the initial application but I never had a copy myself to show them, and they did ask for the original.

I have been told that within 1-2 days I should get an email with further instructions but as it's Friday I guess (and hope) this will come early next week.

Has anybody else gone through this? I would appreciate any advice or just being told what I can expect next / what the process is and time frames on additional processing?

Thanks.

You provide what they ask for - you get issued your visa. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

52 minutes ago, jp1000 said:

So as the title says, today I got the 221(g) and have been requested to provide my partners divorce certificate.

We're looking into how to get the original certificate now. I had thought we included a divorce decree with the initial application but I never had a copy myself to show them, and they did ask for the original.

I have been told that within 1-2 days I should get an email with further instructions but as it's Friday I guess (and hope) this will come early next week.

Has anybody else gone through this? I would appreciate any advice or just being told what I can expect next / what the process is and time frames on additional processing?

Thanks.

Whatever you provided in the petition wasn’t adequate for the consulate.   Just follow the instructions when you get them.   There is no ‘timeline’ for RFEs that are for missing documents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 10/21/2022 at 8:17 AM, jp1000 said:

Here’s someone who posted in the UK forum how they sent documents.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/789663-frustrated-post-k1-interview/

The embassy also writes this in the FAQs on their website

If you have been asked to submit your passport or any additional documents, you should log on to your account via https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb and print off a Courier-in Receipt

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

17 minutes ago, jp1000 said:

Last Friday I got the 221(g), requesting a copy of my partners divorce certificate. 

She mailed it to me on Friday and it arrived Monday (Fast right? I thought so).

The person who interviewed me at the embassy said that within 1-2 days I should get an email from the embassy with further instructions, but as of now, no email. 

He also gave me a green 221(g) form in which he ticked a box to indicate that what's required is a divorce certificate from the petitioner.

The form has a box with instructions on sending stuff to the embassy, which pretty much directs me to this page: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb

So my question is, do I need to wait for the email from them or can I just go ahead and start the process of sending them my documents? 

I've logged in and had a quick look around and I can see the attached image. I'm a little confused about whether I can go ahead and click 'send request' to proceed before getting the email from them.

And also what's the process after that - I understand I must use their courier service rather than using the normal postal service? 

Any help is appreciated.

img.png

Update -

Last Friday I got the 221(g), requesting a copy of my partners divorce certificate. 

She mailed it to me on Friday and it arrived Monday (Fast right? I thought so).

The person who interviewed me at the embassy said that within 1-2 days I should get an email from the embassy with further instructions, but as of now, no email. 

He also gave me a green 221(g) form in which he ticked a box to indicate that what's required is a divorce certificate from the petitioner.

The form has a box with instructions on sending stuff to the embassy, which pretty much directs me to this page: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb

So my question is, do I need to wait for the email from them or can I just go ahead and start the process of sending them my documents? 

I've logged in and had a quick look around and I can see the attached image. I'm a little confused about whether I can go ahead and click 'send request' to proceed before getting the email from them.

And also what's the process after that - I understand I must use their courier service rather than using the normal postal service? 

Any help is appreciated.

img.png

Timeline
1 hour ago, jp1000 said:

Is there a choice for Courier In Certificate? Can you screenshot the options after logging in?

Yes you must use the courier to send documents to the embassy. There is no charge to you. 

Just now, Wuozopo said:

Is there a choice for Courier In Certificate? Can you screenshot the options after logging in?

Yes you must use the courier to send documents to the embassy. There is no charge to you. 

I didn't see anything relating to that, what you see in my screenshot above is 2 screenshots stitched together, with the bototm half being what you see after clicking "ConsularSection instructed me to send more documents". I presume that's where you go to start the process of sending more documents to them.

I would expect to see further instructions related to couriers after writing in the box and clicking "Send request" - but I'm just guessing, for all I know the embassy then needs to process it before you get to that stage.

What I'm trying to work out is if I'm allowed to fill out that box and begin the process of sending them more documents, OR if I need to wait for them to send me an email with instructions of hat to do first.

The guy who interviewed me gave me the form which has instructions, but he also mentioned to me that I should get an email in a day or two (it's been 4 days now but that includes the weekend).

I wish I'd have asked him at the time if I could just use the form he gave me as the instructions as I suspect the automated email will just say the same as the form, but I'm not sure.

Timeline
15 hours ago, jp1000 said:

What I'm trying to work out is if I'm allowed to fill out that box and begin the process of sending them more documents, OR if I need to wait for them to send me an email with instructions of hat to do first.

Sorry I never read that picture you posted because it was small and fuzzy.

I personally would click it and carry on without an email.

Next thing I want you to report back on is if you get the choice for the courier to come to yours and pick up the document or if you have to go to a depot to send. They used to come collect from the sender. 

Edited by Wuozopo

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Sorry I never read that picture you posted because it was small and fuzzy.

I personally would click it and carry on without an email.

Next thing I want you to report back on is if you get the choice for the courier to come to yours and pick up the document or if you have to go to a depot to send. They used to come collect from the sender. 

I didn't notice any option for them to pick it up. 

I was eventually directed here - https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/niv/information/courier_dropboxes where they list the locations you can submit from. 

There is one about 15 mins from me so I dropped it off there. 

Incidentally I got an SMS from them this morning that I have a delivery due, which I'm guessing will be my passport. 

Now I'm wondering, since I paid £20 for that courier service when scheduling my interview, if it only counts for one delivery, and when they send my visa (all being well) if they will delivery to my home again, or just send to a courier dropbox. 

I hope they'll send to my home.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, jp1000 said:

I didn't notice any option for them to pick it up. 

I was eventually directed here - https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/niv/information/courier_dropboxes where they list the locations you can submit from. 

There is one about 15 mins from me so I dropped it off there. 

Incidentally I got an SMS from them this morning that I have a delivery due, which I'm guessing will be my passport. 

Now I'm wondering, since I paid £20 for that courier service when scheduling my interview, if it only counts for one delivery, and when they send my visa (all being well) if they will delivery to my home again, or just send to a courier dropbox. 

I hope they'll send to my home.

Your £20 covers home delivery still. The extra “courier in” is part of the embassy contract I suppose because nobody is charged for that. 

Are you sure the SMS message isn’t acknowledging the delivery to the embassy? If you only sent the document today, having your visa approved, printed, and packaged up the same day would be quite the miracle. Check your CEAC status. Has it changed to “Nonimmigrant”?  How about “Issued”. 

Just now, Wuozopo said:

Are you sure the SMS message isn’t acknowledging the delivery to the embassy? 

I got the SMS before I woke up, few hours before I'd even applied for the courier shipping label, and it's from the same company and I'm not expecting any other deliveries so I assume it's my passport.

I also got an email from the embassy starting "The U.S. Department of State Consulate located in London has released document related to your Visa application to our courier DX Group. The document is being sent via the courier option you selected at registration."

I asked the courier when my package would be shipped and he said tonight and should be with the embassy tomorrow morning.

7 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Check your CEAC status. Has it changed to “Nonimmigrant”?  How about “Issued”. 

Just done this and it says: 

U.S. Department of State
NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
Issued
Application ID or Case Number:    REDACTED
Case Created:    24-Oct-2022
Case Last Updated:    25-Oct-2022

Your visa is in final processing. If you have not received it in more than 10 working days, please see the webpage for contact information of the embassy or consulate where you submitted your application.
For more information, please visit U.S. Embassy London.

What does this mean?

Timeline
7 hours ago, jp1000 said:

What does this mean?

It means the visa was approved and done. They don’t need the original of the divorce decree. 

For me:

21 October - I had the interview, got a 221(g) and asked to submit the divorce certificate of my partner (the petitioner)

25 October - My visa was issued

26 October - I submit the divorce certificate they had asked for, courier told me it would be with them in a day.

27 October - I received the visa in the post today, issue date 25th October. 

Is this relatively common? I can't think why they would have changed their mind on the 221(g) unless they had another look through our petition documents and found that what we submitted for proof of divorce was enough.

I also hope that the document I sent them won't re-open the case and interrupt anything, though I guess it shouldn't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.