Motet

Family visit

16 posts in this topic

My sister is a resident in Germany, have a permanent resident card, she has her own business and want to visit us in the US but she does not have normal passport, instead she has a Travel Document since she have had a refugee status. 

I am a US citizen and would like her to visit for a few months here. Not sure of the process on my end or hers'.  Can her family visit using that kind of travel document? what is the process, what kind of forms does she need to apply for? And, do I need to proof anything, like citizenship or sending her an invitation letter? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing to do with you, up to her to apply.

Does not sound like a strong case

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well I disagree with the opinion just above, if she already has legal residence status in Germany what would be the incentive to overstay illegally in the US?

Is her travel document a German RTD?

7 minutes ago, Motet said:

Yes it is a German RTD. 

I cannot find the exact info on Google, but Germany allows holders of US RTDs to enter visa free so there is a possibility that may be reciprocal (but not necessarily). She should contact her closest US consulate to find out if she needs a visa to travel to the US. The RTD certainly will be accepted in place of a passport (indeed, that is its raison d’etre).

edit: IF there is visa free travel allowed it will be limited to a 90 day stay. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I cannot find the exact info on Google, but Germany allows holders of US RTDs to enter visa free so there is a possibility that may be reciprocal (but not necessarily). She should contact her closest US consulate to find out if she needs a visa to travel to the US. The RTD certainly will be accepted in place of a passport (indeed, that is its raison d’etre).

I would have thought it was unlikely she was from a VWP country or Canadian

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I would have thought it was unlikely she was from a VWP country or Canadian

As I said, Germany accepts holders of US RTDs visa free and there may be reciprocity. I am sure many if not practically all holders of US RTDs also come from countries that normally need visas for Germany. That’s a different matter. Regardless, luckily for OP it’s only a few weeks to a visa appointment in Germany so that’s not the issue so much as answering the two main questions of can she use the RTD (yes), does she need an invitation letter (no).

23 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

what are you referring to is ESTA, not possible since she is not a citizen yet. 

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

As I said, Germany accepts holders of US RTDs visa free and there may be reciprocity. I am sure many if not practically all holders of US RTDs also come from countries that normally need visas for Germany. That’s a different matter. Regardless, luckily for OP it’s only a few weeks to a visa appointment in Germany so that’s not the issue so much as answering the two main questions of can she use the RTD (yes), does she need an invitation letter (no).

Thank you for the help! 

1 minute ago, Motet said:

what are you referring to is ESTA, not possible since she is not a citizen yet. 

Well if you and she are sure there is no special reciprocal dispensation for RTD holders then I suggest she move ahead with making a visa appointment without delay.  The visa process is pretty simple and straightforward for the US.

You say she is a German resident but what is her country of origin and country of her travel document? As that's also an important factor.

Regardless, I very very very much doubt she will get approved for a B2 visa considering she is a refugee. Personally I would not even waste money applying.

Wait till she gets citizenship and passport.

1 hour ago, Motet said:

My sister is a resident in Germany, have a permanent resident card, she has her own business and want to visit us in the US but she does not have normal passport, instead she has a Travel Document since she have had a refugee status. 

I am a US citizen and would like her to visit for a few months here. Not sure of the process on my end or hers'.  Can her family visit using that kind of travel document? what is the process, what kind of forms does she need to apply for? And, do I need to proof anything, like citizenship or sending her an invitation letter? 

Does she have the Reiseausweis für Flüchtlingle?
She need to do a better research.

Here some good information:

https://handbookgermany.de/en/traveling-abroad-refugees

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.