Marklor

Russian company on work history

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a question about employment history for CR1 visa.

My wife worked for the Russian government within the last 10 years (this was a low level position, think like translator in a mayor's office) and this was before politics because really sour —— although, in retrospect, maybe that won't matter anymore.

Further, I myself work for a Russian company (that was not sanctioned, and is still not sanctioned).

Is there even a point to try?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Marklor said:

Hello, I have a question about employment history for CR1 visa.

My wife worked for the Russian government within the last 10 years (this was a low level position, think like translator in a mayor's office) and this was before politics because really sour —— although, in retrospect, maybe that won't matter anymore.

Further, I myself work for a Russian company (that was not sanctioned, and is still not sanctioned).

Is there even a point to try?

To try to file for I-130? Of course. Unless you were specifically involved in some sort of anti-american govt efforts or nefarious agency, then it doesn't really matter. If anything, you might receive and RFE asking to describe you role/position, or get some additional questions during the interview. 

Without going into to much detail, my wife has a somewhat of a similar situation, not 10yrs but still a govt civil servant, and I personally have no concerns about our application.

5 minutes ago, Simplytex said:

To try to file for I-130? Of course. Unless you were specifically involved in some sort of anti-american govt efforts or nefarious agency, then it doesn't really matter. If anything, you might receive and RFE asking to describe you role/position, or get some additional questions during the interview. 

Without going into to much detail, my wife has a somewhat of a similar situation, not 10yrs but still a govt civil servant, and I personally have no concerns about our application.

Well, I still work for this company. I live in Russia with her now. I did not quit because the company was not sanctioned. The founder was sanctioned by the EU, then immediately stepped down. If the company was sanctioned, I would quit immediately. (She has not worked in her role for several years already). I have a lot of anxiety about this situation, it's really a hard position to be in right now.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Marklor said:

Well, I still work for this company. I live in Russia with her now. I did not quit because the company was not sanctioned. The founder was sanctioned by the EU, then immediately stepped down. If the company was sanctioned, I would quit immediately. (She has not worked in her role for several years already). I have a lot of anxiety about this situation, it's really a hard position to be in right now.

You could be eligible for an expedited I-130 as you are resident in Russia and might be able to use the mobilization news as a factor, but that's probably more difficult now (there had been a flurry of expedites approved in March/April but then the dust settled and the same reasoning hasn't been successful for people through the summer.) 

Totally understand your situation, if you can find a job in the US with a certain start date that would almost certainly also be grounds for expedite (financial loss). 

All that said and going back to your original question, no, I don't think your work situation would prevent a successful I-130 application.

Btw, shoot me a message if you want to get looped into Whatsapp group for Russia to US move.

1 minute ago, Simplytex said:

You could be eligible for an expedited I-130 as you are resident in Russia and might be able to use the mobilization news as a factor, but that's probably more difficult now (there had been a flurry of expedites approved in March/April but then the dust settled and the same reasoning hasn't been successful for people through the summer.) 

Totally understand your situation, if you can find a job in the US with a certain start date that would almost certainly also be grounds for expedite (financial loss). 

All that said and going back to your original question, no, I don't think your work situation would prevent a successful I-130 application.

Btw, shoot me a message if you want to get looped into Whatsapp group for Russia to US move.

We are already in the process of leaving Russia, I don't think it's safe to stay here now. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Marklor said:

We are already in the process of leaving Russia, I don't think it's safe to stay here now. 

Then your work history with the Russian company will be in the past tense by the time you file a petition.  Relevant as work history but not otherwise.  If your wife's government work history is within the past 5 years, you will disclose it all in the initial petition but at the visa application stage it will definitely be disclosed.  Unless she was a Party operative, probably not an issue.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Then your work history with the Russian company will be in the past tense by the time you file a petition.  Relevant as work history but not otherwise.  If your wife's government work history is within the past 5 years, you will disclose it all in the initial petition but at the visa application stage it will definitely be disclosed.  Unless she was a Party operative, probably not an issue.

I work for a U.S. subsidiary of the Russian company, I’ll continue to work for them. They share a name with the parent company. Not sure this makes a difference. 

she was not a party operative. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Marklor said:

I work for a U.S. subsidiary of the Russian company, I’ll continue to work for them. They share a name with the parent company. Not sure this makes a difference. 

she was not a party operative. 

She will likely need some sort of resident status wherever you are going to live, in order to have her interview there.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Marklor said:

Thanks. Still, more concerned about the employment status. 

My opinion is don't worry about it.  If you really think there's more to worry about, maybe you're right and need to disclose more details for a better answer.  Sounds like you don't really know.  Find out.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

My opinion is don't worry about it.  If you really think there's more to worry about, maybe you're right and need to disclose more details for a better answer.  Sounds like you don't really know.  Find out.

Nothing more, tried to he as transparent as possible to get best answers. Just a naturally anxious person and wanted to tackle that concern first. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Marklor said:

Nothing more, tried to he as transparent as possible to get best answers. Just a naturally anxious person and wanted to tackle that concern first. 

I mean it doesn't sound like you have details of what your wife's work actually was.  If you do, you have not disclosed it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I mean it doesn't sound like you have details of what your wife's work actually was.  If you do, you have not disclosed it.

She was a translator for an international project related to the development of sustainable (green) cities. So, for example delegates from South Korea might visit and she would translate from English to Russian and vice versa. Or a conference might be held. Or she might travel to somewhere like Greece. She was technically employed by a regional governmental body where the project was based. That’s as far as I understand. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Marklor said:

She was a translator for an international project related to the development of sustainable (green) cities. So, for example delegates from South Korea might visit and she would translate from English to Russian and vice versa. Or a conference might be held. Or she might travel to somewhere like Greece. She was technically employed by a regional governmental body where the project was based. That’s as far as I understand. 

If I were in your shoes, I would make sure I understood as completely as humanly possible.  Sounds to me like the reason you're still worried is you are not sure you understand fully.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

If I were in your shoes, I would make sure I understood as completely as humanly possible.  Sounds to me like the reason you're still worried is you are not sure you understand fully.

Nope, it’s not really hard to understand. I’m just an anxious person and anti-Russian sentiment is incredibly high at the moment and will probably only rise. So, I’m just wondering if it’s already reached that point 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.