supernk

N400 address change after interview scheduled

22 posts in this topic

My situation is very complicated  and I seek some help. Appreciate any ideas on how to handle this complex situation.

I live in San Antonio, TX.
I applied for N400 Interview on 01/19/2022 and I got the interview scheduled for 07/15 but unfortunately 

I travelled to India on 06/13/2022 due to an emergency, my apartment lease was due to end 06/30 so I vacated apartment and left to India. 

I called USCIS and cancelled/rescheduled my interview that was supposed to happen on 07/15

My interview got rescheduled to 09/22/2022
I came back to USA, San Antonio, TX. on 09/14/2022 and I'm staying in a house where house owner rented me his one of the bedrooms as a paying guest. I have a room lease agreement of this new address as address proof and nothing else to prove my texas state residency.  Is it better to have apartment lease agreement instead of room agreement?

Also, my DL is from Connecticut and I didn't get that transferred to Texas. Will that be a problem? 

Should I update the new address today or just go and attend the interview on 9/22 and inform the field officer during the interview?  Appreciate your help and response.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Since you have to file AR-11 by 9/24, and since your interview is before 9/24, I don’t see a need to file AR-11 before the interview. As you are living  in the same state there should not be a need to change field offices. 

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Since you have to file AR-11 by 9/24, and since your interview is before 9/24, I don’t see a need to file AR-11 before the interview. As you are living  in the same state there should not be a need to change field offices. 

thanks Mike E.

May I know if there is an issue if my DL is not showing  TX address? My DL shows Connecticut address where I lived in 2018 and I moved to TX in 08/2018 but never got that changed to TX. Is it mandatory to take DL to N400 interview? Is it ok to say that I don't have DL if IO asks for DL?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, supernk said:

thanks Mike E.

May I know if there is an issue if my DL is not showing  TX address?

Not that I know of.  

My DL shows Connecticut address where I lived in 2018 and I moved to TX in 08/2018 but never got that changed to TX. Is it mandatory to take DL to N400 interview?

IMO if you have a DL you can be required to produce it.  

Is it ok to say that I don't have DL if IO asks for DL?

Before your interview starts you will take an oath stating that everything you say is true. So if you lie, that’s perjury to a federal officer.  Why do you think that’s ok? It’s a serious criminal offense.  

6 hours ago, supernk said:

May I know if there is an issue if my DL is not showing  TX address? My DL shows Connecticut address where I lived in 2018 and I moved to TX in 08/2018 but never got that changed to TX. Is it mandatory to take DL to N400 interview? Is it ok to say that I don't have DL if IO asks for DL?

Its the law to change you DL when you move to a new state and since 2018 is a long time. 

Don't make that mistake. Its better to get scolded by him than lying. They can pull your last DL from their database.

To prove your continued residency in TX, bring your rental / lease agreements, payments, bills to show that you were living here.

I read of a case like yours where the applicant moved states right after their interview and got another interview in their new state. But if your LOCAL uscis office remains the same, for example, you moved from Dallas, TX to Forth Worth, TX, you should be fine.

Edited by Mobius1

Texas law states that you were supposed to change your drivers license to a Texas license within 90 days of moving to the state.  You are 4 years past that date and are technically driving illegally now as Texas law only provides for a 90 day grace period to change your license when moving from another state or territory. Not sure how the IO will view this- I guess it depends on who you get.  

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/moving-texas

31 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

Its the law to change you DL when you move to a new state and since 2018 is a long time. 

Don't make that mistake. Its better to get scolded by him than lying. They can pull your last DL from their database.

To prove your continued residency in TX, bring your rental / lease agreements, payments, bills to show that you were living here.

I read of a case like yours where the applicant moved states right after their interview and got another interview in their new state. But if your LOCAL uscis office remains the same, for example, you moved from Dallas, TX to Forth Worth, TX, you should be fine.

31 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

thank you Mobius1. Yes, absolutely agree with you on DL change but due to Covid, most of the time I stayed at home and never got the opportunity to change. Nevertheless, it's completely my mistake not to change it. I have been trying to get appointment from the day I landed here but unfortunately there are no walk-in appointments in any of the San Antonio/New Braunfels locations. In fact, I went around 6 AM to stand in the queue and returned empty as there were no walk-ins due to heavy backlog that they have. Right now, DL appointment is scheduled for 12/5/2022 and is way beyond my Interview. Should I postpone the Interview? I'm kind of lost to know what's the best course of action here.

1 minute ago, supernk said:

thank you Mobius1. Yes, absolutely agree with you on DL change but due to Covid, most of the time I stayed at home and never got the opportunity to change. Nevertheless, it's completely my mistake not to change it. I have been trying to get appointment from the day I landed here but unfortunately there are no walk-in appointments in any of the San Antonio/New Braunfels locations. In fact, I went around 6 AM to stand in the queue and returned empty as there were no walk-ins due to heavy backlog that they have. Right now, DL appointment is scheduled for 12/5/2022 and is way beyond my Interview. Should I postpone the Interview? I'm kind of lost to know what's the best course of action here.

You said you moved to Texas in August 2018 - that's two years before Covid.  You had until November 2018 to change your license.  You cannot use Covid as an excuse. You're 4 years late in changing your license. Using Covid as an excuse is not going to fly. Tell the truth and hope for the best.

7 minutes ago, supernk said:

Dont postpone again....they may notice this trend and ask you for a legitimate reason.

Just go in and let them know that you made a mistake and it will never happen again.

A lot depends on your IO too but I hear Texas offices are relatively accommodating.

I don't think DL non-renewal will be a huge issue. 

Let us know how it goes. It could help someone in similar situation down the road.

8 minutes ago, Stuff2447 said:

You said you moved to Texas in August 2018 - that's two years before Covid.  You had until November 2018 to change your license.  You cannot use Covid as an excuse. You're 4 years late in changing your license. Using Covid as an excuse is not going to fly. Tell the truth and hope for the best.

ok. thanks. When I try to update address on the online profile page, I get the below message but however I can edit the address. Should I update the address or wait till the interview is over? or Should I update the address using AR-11 form?

"You cannot edit your mailing address or physical address during this part of the adjudication process."

image.png

ok. thanks. When I try to update address on the online profile page, I get the below message but however I can edit the address. Should I update the address or wait till the interview is over? or Should I update the address using AR-11 form?

"You cannot edit your mailing address or physical address during this part of the adjudication process."

image.png

Take a screenshot of this and bring it to your interview.

Remember, a part of the interview process besides the Tests is to verify if any information has changed. You can update the new address during the interview. I have done that in my interview, its not a problem.

And also I see that you scheduled an appointment for 12/05/2022, while it doesn't cure everything but does show that you are making efforts to correct your mistake. Also mention that you have tried (number of times you tried) to join the early bird line but returned empty handed. All in all, don't speak too much but do offer the needed information when prompted.

image.png

You are REQUIRED to file Form AR-11 within 10 days of moving each time you move until you become a US citizen.  However, you should go TODAY to switch your DL from CT to TX. It will look much better to have a valid TX license than to explain why you have lived in TX for 4 years and didn't bother to change your license. If you cannot make an appointment online, I would just go in person an deal with it there. This is not optional. It may not be a big deal to the IO, but are you willing to risk that?

36 minutes ago, Stuff2447 said:

You are REQUIRED to file Form AR-11 within 10 days of moving each time you move until you become a US citizen.  However, you should go TODAY to switch your DL from CT to TX. It will look much better to have a valid TX license than to explain why you have lived in TX for 4 years and didn't bother to change your license. If you cannot make an appointment online, I would just go in person an deal with it there. This is not optional. It may not be a big deal to the IO, but are you willing to risk that?

yes, I understand regarding AR-11 and I have time till 9/24 to update new address, I have read some forums that if I update address now, there might be chances of getting interview cancelled so I plan to attend interview and explain to IO. 

As explained earlier, I did go to DMV offices multiple days at 6 AM and stood in line for walk-in appointment but unfortunately none of dmv offices have walk-in appointments these days. I explained the situation to dmv officers but they said they can't honor my urgent request and asked me to check if there is any walk-in in Houston.

42 minutes ago, Mobius1 said:

Take a screenshot of this and bring it to your interview.

Remember, a part of the interview process besides the Tests is to verify if any information has changed. You can update the new address during the interview. I have done that in my interview, its not a problem.

And also I see that you scheduled an appointment for 12/05/2022, while it doesn't cure everything but does show that you are making efforts to correct your mistake. Also mention that you have tried (number of times you tried) to join the early bird line but returned empty handed. All in all, don't speak too much but do offer the needed information when prompted.

thank you for the great advise. Hoping for the best. Will update the forum on my interview outcome.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.