supernk

N400 address change after interview scheduled

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, supernk said:

yes, I understand regarding AR-11 and I have time till 9/24 to update new address, I have read some forums that if I update address now, there might be chances of getting interview cancelled so I plan to attend interview and explain to IO. 

As explained earlier, I did go to DMV offices multiple days at 6 AM and stood in line for walk-in appointment but unfortunately none of dmv offices have walk-in appointments these days. I explained the situation to dmv officers but they said they can't honor my urgent request and asked me to check if there is any walk-in in Houston.

Houston has had many appointments for many months, pre covid (in 2018, when you moved) and post covid.  When DPS first opened after COVID, yes, there was a backlog.  These days, appointments were only a week out.  We just booked my kid for an appointment not long ago.  You may be stuck in line for a walk in, but that's the price you pay for not changing it within 90 days of moving in state.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

20 hours ago, Stuff2447 said:

You are REQUIRED to file Form AR-11 within 10 days of moving each time you move until you become a US citizen.  However, you should go TODAY to switch your DL from CT to TX. It will look much better to have a valid TX license than to explain why you have lived in TX for 4 years and didn't bother to change your license. If you cannot make an appointment online, I would just go in person an deal with it there. This is not optional. It may not be a big deal to the IO, but are you willing to risk that?

I drove about 2 hours and finally got a location where I was allowed for a walk in this early morning.  I got my DL switched today from CT to TX though I got only a temporary paper permit as it takes 2 weeks to get the actual license card. If I show the temporary license, will the officer question why I didn't get that changed earlier? I'm finding it hard to find a good reason to let the IO know why my DL was not changed earlier, any suggestions?

1 minute ago, supernk said:

I drove about 2 hours and finally got a location where I was allowed for a walk in this early morning.  I got my DL switched today from CT to TX though I got only a temporary paper permit as it takes 2 weeks to get the actual license card. If I show the temporary license, will the officer question why I didn't get that changed earlier? I'm finding it hard to find a good reason to let the IO know why my DL was not changed earlier, any suggestions?

I'm sure the IO will question it, but who knows whether or not he/she will make a big deal of it...Let's face it, there is really no good reason/excuse why you didn't change your license until today after living in Texas for 4 years. You have to tell the truth. Period.  Not telling the truth could put your good moral character into question and result in a denial.  Lying to an IO is the absolute worse thing you can do. Hopefully this will all be a non-issue and you will pass your interview.  

3 hours ago, supernk said:

One reason could be that you weren’t sure if you wanted to stay in TX but I don’t know if 4 years will cut it. 

Honestly, it all comes down to the personality of the IO.

Some understand the difficulties people have, after all they also are humans and have their own regrets in life as everyone does.
Some have a bad day and unfortunately you become the target.

Some just saw NCIS or something last night and are pumped to investigate.
And some only see black and white in terms of law.

What you can’t do is live all of your life in fear. Do your best and let fate determine rest. 

There is a research, “90% of the things we worry about don’t even happen” 

Edited by Mobius1

2 hours ago, Mobius1 said:

One reason could be that you weren’t sure if you wanted to stay in TX but I don’t know if 4 years will cut it. 

Honestly, it all comes down to the personality of the IO.

Some understand the difficulties people have, after all they also are humans and have their own regrets in life as everyone does.
Some have a bad day and unfortunately you become the target.

Some just saw NCIS or something last night and are pumped to investigate.
And some only see black and white in terms of law.

What you can’t do is live all of your life in fear. Do your best and let fate determine rest. 

There is a research, “90% of the things we worry about don’t even happen” 

Hey All: Just for everyones benefit, I went to "119 Conrads Ln, New Braunfels, TX 78130" location and enquired about same day walk-in's ...initially they said nothing is available , i explained her my situation and asked to re-check once and it was about 8:45 AM , I would say that I was lucky enough that she told me one slot just popped on her screen for 9:30 AM and she gave me that slot. 

True that "can’t do is live all of your life in fear. Do your best and let fate determine rest. "  but how would I know you are doing the best 🙂  ? because honestly i don't know  appropriate answer or any answer for that matter. All I plan to say is "temporary license is what i have right now and it takes about 2 weeks to get the permanent card". another reason i'm thinking is  "address change" as I moved from the address given in N400 to a new address within the same city though.

10 minutes ago, supernk said:

Hey All: Just for everyones benefit, I went to "119 Conrads Ln, New Braunfels, TX 78130" location and enquired about same day walk-in's ...initially they said nothing is available , i explained her my situation and asked to re-check once and it was about 8:45 AM , I would say that I was lucky enough that she told me one slot just popped on her screen for 9:30 AM and she gave me that slot. 

True that "can’t do is live all of your life in fear. Do your best and let fate determine rest. "  but how would I know you are doing the best 🙂  ? because honestly i don't know  appropriate answer or any answer for that matter. All I plan to say is "temporary license is what i have right now and it takes about 2 weeks to get the permanent card". another reason i'm thinking is  "address change" as I moved from the address given in N400 to a new address within the same city though.

Great. After all my consultations with lawyers, one thing they all agree on is that don't speak too much. ONLY answer what's asked in the shortest way possible. I would think that "Sorry, Sir/ Mam, it won't happen again" would be a good option. Making up stories with no documentation can really infuriate them. 

Hello Everyone: I finished my interview today at 7:30 AM and my application is approved. My oath ceremony is scheduled for Oct 21st, wish Oath ceremony happened today itself so I could apply for passport. Unfortunately I need to wait for 4 weeks to apply for my passport.

I showed my temporary DL and IO just validated my name and address, she didn't ask any question on why I got temporary DL. Interview went smooth and she was so nice and friendly. I had to do lot of updates to my N400 application since I applied Job Change, Address Change, Out of US trips etc. the IO was kind enough to update all of them without any questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.