Laud

Photocopies for visa interview

4 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, 

Visa interview scheduled for THIS THURSDAY! Getting a bit paranoid about a few things and hoping someone here can help:

1.  On its checklist for visa interviews, NVC says to bring "Your original marriage certificate, English translation, and a photocopy. A certified copy from the issuing authority is acceptable." The wording here is confusing. We have the original marriage certificate and were planning on bringing a scanned photocopy of that original. Will that suffice or do we need to get a certified copy?

2. For proof of domicile, I plan on bringing a scan of my spouse's passport to my visa interview. Do I need to bring a scan of each page of her passport or will the biometric page suffice?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

It wouldn't need to be the original certificate it could be a certified copy. Plus a normal photocopy for them to keep.

What does the passport show that proofs the domicile?

20 minutes ago, Laud said:

Hi Folks, 

Visa interview scheduled for THIS THURSDAY! Getting a bit paranoid about a few things and hoping someone here can help:

1.  On its checklist for visa interviews, NVC says to bring "Your original marriage certificate, English translation, and a photocopy. A certified copy from the issuing authority is acceptable." The wording here is confusing. We have the original marriage certificate and were planning on bringing a scanned photocopy of that original. Will that suffice or do we need to get a certified copy?

2. For proof of domicile, I plan on bringing a scan of my spouse's passport to my visa interview. Do I need to bring a scan of each page of her passport or will the biometric page suffice?

Proof of domicile required to have the address where your spouse lives. Thus, a passport doesn’t work. Are you able to bring the driver license or state id? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Laud said:

Hi Folks, 

Presumably you uploaded the marriage certificate to the NVC. That takes care of the “photocopy” for the file because they already have a digital copy for the file. No paper copy needed in London. The entire IR1/CR1 file (excluding DCF cases)  is now digital and you won’t get a big white ‘Do Not Open’’ envelope of papers with your passport/visa delivery like years ago. 

The original is brought to the interview so they can verify it in person compared to what you uploaded. They want originals of your other civil documents as well (birth certificate, police certificate, divorce decree if applicable) to verify with things you scanned and uploaded. They hand originals back to you before you leave. 

I’ve never heard of petitioners living in the US needing to show domicile at London  interviews. That usually applies to DCF filers when the American spouse lives in the UK.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.