CDNgirl09

Update SSN to remove DHS restriction?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 9/15/2022 at 3:17 AM, Rocio0010 said:

Reason #1: 

Removal of conditions is taking anywhere between 18 months to three years. When you file, you get an extension letter valid for 24 months, which is proof of status, but it usually expires before the approve the 751. If you need to change jobs in between, your green card will not be valid proof because it is expired. You will also have an expired 797. Therefore, it is one less document from the I9 you can present. Am unrestricted SS card will allow you not to have to run to USCIS to make an info pass appointment to get an i-551 stamp. They are not giving these appointments easily either. 
 Reason 2: 

To apply for loans, etc 

I showed the expired GC and extension letter to the employer and they didn't ask me anything.

I got a mortgage back in March also with the expired GC and extension letter, no lenders asked for my SS card.

30 minutes ago, aznhouston said:

I showed the expired GC and extension letter to the employer and they didn't ask me anything.

I got a mortgage back in March also with the expired GC and extension letter, no lenders asked for my SS card.

Was the extension letter expired?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 9/14/2022 at 6:35 AM, CDNgirl09 said:

Amazing ty so much!!

I’ve had been  dreading doing this for my wife. Compounding the dread was we  moved from California to Arizona this past summer.  Here is what we did:

1. Visit SSA.gov

2. Clicked  replacement social security card link, and work though dialog. It ends up with an “online control number” for your application.  

3. Went to SSA office several weeks later (last week).  Our local office in Tucson opens at 9am. We arrived at 8:40 am with about 30 people standing in line ahead of U.S.  Made mistake of wearing sandals.  Experienced ants of varying size and venom crawling on our feet. 

4. Doors open. Masks were required. 

5. Started off with a kiosk. The kiosk wasn’t interested in our control number. Kiosks issued number and we said down waiting  for our number  to be  called. 

6. Number called 10 minutes later 

7. We explained to the clerk what we were trying to do, and handed clerk her SS card, gc, and extension letter. 

8. The clerk asked my wife for her zip code. 

9. The clerk knew where our new  address.  Score 1 for AR-11s having some effect I suppose or maybe that control number exercise from step 2 actually did something. Or maybe the official address change with USPS did something 

10. Clerk handed my wife a print out or her name, address, and ssn and asked her to confirm details. 

11. Clerk approved new card and said we would get it in 2 weeks. She returned my wife’s SS card, gc, and extension letter. 

12. New card with same ssn and no DHS stuff on  it arrived this week, less than a week after applying.  

Summary tips:

* wear shoes, socks, masks, hat 

* arrive a half hour before office opens 

* make sure your address with USCIS, USPS,  and SSA is current 

* gc, extension letter, SS card are all you should need 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.