roughlyworried

Does NVC keep track of previous CEAC applications? [merged threads]

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Now this might be an outreach here, but it could definitely be possible. My wife filed for an interview back in 2020 for a B1/B2 (DS-160) for us to meet together. Once we saw the difficulty behind it, we decided to just cancel the interview and meet in a third country. Anyways, moving on to now, we are getting close to the NVC stage, and will have to file a a DS-260. There’s only one problem. When we did the DS-160, we answered the questions of her employment and address history the best we could since it’s not something she clearly remembers. And now, we don’t remember what dates and such she put on the DS-160. Soooo, we will most likely have some conflicting data for the DS-260. I’m curious of your guys opinions if they would keep track and compare info such as employment history and address history from previous applications. And if they did, would they issue an RFE based on it. Maybe a stretch, but a little thought that came to my mind recently.

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They certainly keep track

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They certainly keep track

Wonder if they would actually compare it though. And what they do if they found a discrepancy in address dates 

1 hour ago, Kyl123 said:

My wife filed for an interview back in 2020 for a B1/B2 (DS-160) for us to meet together.

NVC does not get involved with B1/B2 applications, but the Department of State does keep the submitted DS-160 in their records and the consulate will have access to it.  That said, minor inconsistencies with dates is unlikely to be an issue.  No need to worry.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

NVC does not get involved with B1/B2 applications, but the Department of State does keep the submitted DS-160 in their records and the consulate will have access to it.  That said, minor inconsistencies with dates is unlikely to be an issue.  No need to worry.

Ok great! I’m hoping it will be just minor inconsistencies with dates and not actual addresses (as I tried to enter the addresses into English the best I could), so I have a feeling there will be a lot of inconsistencies. We also never showed up to the interview. I wanted to cancel it, but wasn’t able to contact them. 

9 minutes ago, Kyl123 said:

Wonder if they would actually compare it though. And what they do if they found a discrepancy in address dates 

Almost guaranteed that they would compare, as they do check the applicant's entire US immigration record.  We've seen many reports here on VJ of immigrant visa applications denied due to discrepancies with prior tourist visa applications.  But not with address dates, which are not really significant for immigrant admissibility, unless the applicant knowingly hid having resided in certain countries like North Korea or Iran.  The denials were due mostly to discrepancies in marital status or family info, like lying about being married in a previous tourist visa application in the mistaken belief that doing so would increase the chances of being approved.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Almost guaranteed that they would compare, as they do check the applicant's entire US immigration record.  We've seen many reports here on VJ of immigrant visa applications denied due to discrepancies with prior tourist visa applications.  But not with address dates, which are not really significant for immigrant admissibility, unless the applicant knowingly hid having resided in certain countries like North Korea or Iran.  The denials were due mostly to discrepancies in marital status or family info, like lying about being married in a previous tourist visa application in the mistaken belief that doing so would increase the chances of being approved.

27 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Deleted.  See @Chancy's comment above.

I just referred back to my old documents that I saved and some pictures, and we filed her as married(which we were), with an attached marriage certificate, my ID and passport. So on that end we are good, I never lied to them about being married to her. Although I don’t particularly remember what we put down as her purpose for visiting, although I think I would have put down to visit family since I listed her as married haha. 

I also looked at a DS-160 online to see the questions again, and what they ask for is not address history like I thought, but employment history. This maybe an issue since she’s had small part time jobs and we may miss one from the tourist visa application if I’m being honest. So that’s really the only concern at this point, missing a job and/or dates of a job and forgetting the exact thing we selected for her trying to come over. 

Edited by Kyl123

7 minutes ago, Kyl123 said:

This maybe an issue since she’s had small part time jobs and we may miss one from the tourist visa application if I’m being honest. So that’s really the only concern at this point, missing a job and/or dates of a job and forgetting the exact thing we selected for her trying to come over.

Purpose of travel for a prior B1/B2 application is not relevant for current immigrant visa application, so no need to worry about that at all.  As for missing entries for part-time jobs, also not significant, unless those missing jobs were related to prostitution, drug/human trafficking, or terrorist activity.

3 minutes ago, Kyl123 said:

Further, is the consulate likely to bring this up and ask her during her interview? If so, what are they likely to ask?

The consul officer is not likely to ask about addresses and employment in the applicant's native or resident country.  If the applicant ever lived or worked in other countries AND does not have the corresponding police certificates, the CO might ask about it.  In my case, I mentioned in a prior tourist visa application that I had been assigned for work abroad, but I did not list any foreign addresses in the DS-260 for my spouse visa application.  The CO asked me about it, but he made it clear that he was only interested in any overseas stays 6 months or longer.  When I said that I traveled abroad only for short business trips, he was fine with it and didn't ask further.  I suspect he only asked to see if I needed to submit additional police certificates.

As for the likely interview questions at Guangzhou, check the consulate reviews here -- https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=China&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Purpose of travel for a prior B1/B2 application is not relevant for current immigrant visa application, so no need to worry about that at all.  As for missing entries for part-time jobs, also not significant, unless those missing jobs were related to prostitution, drug/human trafficking, or terrorist activity.

Well I mean in reference to the reason we would have listed on the DS-160 application. I don’t recall what we put, whether it was family or tourism or even if they combined. But the point there was if they ask about why she was visiting, I hope we answer in line with the DS-160.  

Also, a side question that I can’t fully find an answer to is, on the CR1 I-130 and/or any other documents we submitted to the USCIS, would we have had to declare the application of a DS-160? If so, we didn’t and forgot if it wasn’t even asked. And what would need to do to rectify that if they did in fact ask for it.

11 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The consul officer is not likely to ask about addresses and employment in the applicant's native or resident country.  If the applicant ever lived or worked in other countries AND does not have the corresponding police certificates, the CO might ask about it. 

Gotcha. We have stayed abroad in another country for longer than six months, but this happened AFTER the B1/B2 visa application and she never even visited another country.(Maybe Hong Kong, but that was just visiting) As we didn’t follow through on the tourist visa due to coming to a third country, there’s no employment or address history involved on the B1/B2. We will have the police certificates though so that’s no worries. 

12 minutes ago, Kyl123 said:

would we have had to declare the application of a DS-160?

Need to disclose prior US visa refusals in the DS-260.  If the prior tourist visa application did not even reach interview, there's no visa refusal to declare.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Need to disclose prior US visa refusals in the DS-260.  If the prior tourist visa application did not even reach interview, there's no visa refusal to declare.

Understood. Appreciate all the answers and help! It’s a life saver.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Title kind of says it all. I know I posted along these lines before, but I did look into it more on the forms I submitted and definitely see that on the I-130, we missed entirely a job she had back in 2020.

The main problem is, this is the very job we listed her as having on a DS-160 we did back in late 2020, even though she never went the interview for the tourist visa, but they definitely have that on record, the fact she had that specific job. And that’s the job we Forgot to list on the I-130. What should we do about this? Should we try to get a corrected I-130 to the USCIS? Or contact them? Would the embassy even care she omitted a job on her I-130 when they can clearly see we submitted it on her DS-160?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I-130 is at USCIS.  Be sure not to make such an error on the DS260 during the NVC stage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
33 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I-130 is at USCIS.  Be sure not to make such an error on the DS260 during the NVC stage.

Understood. Is the embassy likely to have a problem with conflicting information on the I-130 and DS-260? I would think they would question the whole validity of the I-130, but I’m not sure. If they ask her, what should her approach?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.