smore

Advise On Traveling To Philippines

103 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, smore said:

10 days will have to be long enough, I am not retired, have a job, have responsibilities. So 10 full days not including the flights will have to be enough time.

I am going to have to research the money thing, what to bring, how to get more if needed with both my credit card company and bank. But thanks for the advise on setting up another account.

Trying to see if I am following what you said you carry around 5k USD, which is 5000.00? is that correct, um I will not be planning on that at all, no way this trip should cost that much, not including the flight, hotel which mainly will be paid for in advance. I mean even here in the USA where things are highly priced I would not plan on spending that much on vacation, and never have.

Thanks for the tip on expired food.

I spend alot when I go there, I do alot of bar hopping and nightlife especially in Manila, I enter with about 5K USD all unmarked 100 bills. But I stay at least 30 days.

You can always Western Union yourself money before you leave. Maybe do one Western Union for 900 bucks and another for $800, when you run low just go to western union (everywhere in Philippines) and get money, you will be the sender/receiver.

Once you get there you can get "Gcash" on your phone, you can buy load to use with it, I was using "Smart" and I could call USA for 2 peso per minute and it was a great connection.  Gcash you sign up once your in Philippines I didn't tie it to my bank acct, I went to advertised location and gave them pesos and then that money was loaded on my Gcash Acct.  

I did not have time to read all of the posts but I will give you the things I have learned over the years.

I saw people comment about traveling without checked bags??? What about pasalubong??? I always have 2 checked bags, and a carry on.

My last 7 flights have all been PAL. I live in Hawaii and they fly direct. Hawaiian Airlines used to have a flight to MNL but they stopped flying there. I flew them 2x and United once. United had a quick layover in Guam. I have been very happy with PAL and usually upgrade to premium economy.

As for money. When I first started going there I would send money there to myself and pick up. After that I used to just send money to my wife's bank account. My last two trips I would just bring cash because the exchange rates are better there than when you transfer. Changing money at the airport is not the best rates so avoid it if you can, or just change for what you need and do the rest at your destination. I have all my transportation needs and arranged for before I even leave. We hire a driver and van (I have used him every trip since my first). He picks up my wife and family members that want to come, they get me at the airport and bring me home.

Cell phone in the Philippines. My first trip I took an unlocked phone and got a SIM there. I have T-Mobile and ever since my first trip I just use my phone. International data is free with T-Mobile along with international texting. I just don't answer or make calls unless I am on wifi and using wifi calling.

In the Philippines I use a simple wallet and keep my drivers license in it and cash I need for the day. Nothing else. I leave my passport and credit cards where I am staying. I keep my drivers license just to have some sort of ID on me in case of emergency or something and that is easy to replace if lost or stolen. I keep the wallet in my front pocket.

Wile with your gf/fiance whenever shopping or buying things stand away from her, only approach when a price is agreed upon and it's time to pay. Otherwise you will always pay the foreigner price. Of course this does not apply to malls where prices are all set.

Remember that when you go there you are in a different country, different world. Do not expect things to be like America. Appreciate the differences and embrace their culture. Try to learn and understand their way of life. No one likes a foreigner coming there criticizing them and their culture. Things like "in America we _____". Filipinos are very prideful and get offended being told how much better it is where you live and that the way they do it is wrong.

Edited by RO_AH

One last thing that I forgot to add is that no one is in a hurry in the Philippines. Nothing moves at the pace that it does in most of America. Develop patience because you will need it.

Be Aware facemasks enforcements is still in full effect, for some reason everyone still is required to wear a facemask even being outside or driving a car alone.

I did have a few mall in the province still request vaccine cards to enter, they have the people brained washed about social distance and washing hands.

You will feel like you traveled back in time 2 years seeing all the facemasks.

12 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Cell phone in the Philippines. My first trip I took an unlocked phone and got a SIM there. I have T-Mobile and ever since my first trip I just use my phone. International data is free with T-Mobile along with international texting. I just don't answer or make calls unless I am on wifi and using wifi calling.

The international free data sounds awesome along with free texting, Can that be done without wifi? 

Can you text from PI to USA? Or is it only form USA to PI?

Compare Plan Details | T-Mobile

Edited by Palawan

4 hours ago, Palawan said:

The international free data sounds awesome along with free texting, Can that be done without wifi? 

We have Mint mobile. It uses T-Mobile systems. When my wife was in the Philippines in March and April we found out by accident that she could text and call me for free using wifi calling. We have wifi calling set up automatically on both of our phones. It worked seamlessly as long as she had a wifi connection. Bonus.

Edited by Carpe Vinum

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

37 minutes ago, Carpe Vinum said:

We have Mint mobile. It uses T-Mobile systems. When my wife was in the Philippines in March and April we found out by accident that she could text and call me for free using wifi calling. We have wifi calling set up automatically on both of our phones. It worked seamlessly as long as she had a wifi connection. Bonus.

Interesting

I have Metro PCS which uses T-Mobile as well last trip before the pandemic I could also do the same using wifi, I just got back a few weeks ago and I couldn't this time

When was the last time you tried?  

April 2022

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

On 8/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, smore said:

Seems like what I am finding is 2 stop flights from where I am, and goes through Seoul Korea. Also seems like when I go to an airline site like Delta I actually come up with less options, sometimes just 1 or 2. There are lots of travel sites so I am just seeing what will be best, flight time which seems to be around 22-28 hours, cost wise, etc. Still have not given up on the LAX nonstop to Manila, just would have to have all the stars to align to fly from where I am to LAX and not have a long layover to catch flight to Manila.

Assuming you're flying to LA and then taking the nonstop Philippine Airlines flight to Manila, you don't want to focus too much on avoiding a long layover.  You fly to LA, then you have to get your bags and walk down to the international terminal.  You have to go through the check in process at the Philippine Airlines counter and go through all the security checks.  This process can take a few hours.  You'll probably want to get something to eat and at least relax a little bit.  Then you wander down to your gate and wait for your flight.  Don't try to cut it too close on time.  It's better to wait than to hurry.

7 hours ago, Palawan said:

No wifi needed for text and data only for calling, You don't need wifi for calling but roaming prices are very high. You can text anywhere internationally for free. But if someone with a PI carrier (Smart, Globe, etc.) replies of course they get charged international rate. But anyone that I text there already knows this and replies through Whatsapp or messenger.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, RO_AH said:

I did not have time to read all of the posts but I will give you the things I have learned over the years.

I saw people comment about traveling without checked bags??? What about pasalubong??? I always have 2 checked bags, and a carry on.

My last 7 flights have all been PAL. I live in Hawaii and they fly direct. Hawaiian Airlines used to have a flight to MNL but they stopped flying there. I flew them 2x and United once. United had a quick layover in Guam. I have been very happy with PAL and usually upgrade to premium economy.

As for money. When I first started going there I would send money there to myself and pick up. After that I used to just send money to my wife's bank account. My last two trips I would just bring cash because the exchange rates are better there than when you transfer. Changing money at the airport is not the best rates so avoid it if you can, or just change for what you need and do the rest at your destination. I have all my transportation needs and arranged for before I even leave. We hire a driver and van (I have used him every trip since my first). He picks up my wife and family members that want to come, they get me at the airport and bring me home.

In the Philippines I use a simple wallet and keep my drivers license in it and cash I need for the day. Nothing else. I leave my passport and credit cards where I am staying. I keep my drivers license just to have some sort of ID on me in case of emergency or something and that is easy to replace if lost or stolen. I keep the wallet in my front pocket.

Wile with your gf/fiance whenever shopping or buying things stand away from her, only approach when a price is agreed upon and it's time to pay. Otherwise you will always pay the foreigner price. Of course this does not apply to malls where prices are all set.

Remember that when you go there you are in a different country, different world. Do not expect things to be like America. Appreciate the differences and embrace their culture. Try to learn and understand their way of life. No one likes a foreigner coming there criticizing them and their culture. Things like "in America we _____". Filipinos are very prideful and get offended being told how much better it is where you live and that the way they do it is wrong.

Not being experienced flying and all the horror stories you hear about lost bags it would be nice to just do a carry on and no checked bags, esp since I will have a few flights, but just have to think if a carry on is big enough.

I have not done extensive research, but the research I have done is no direct flights for me to Manila where I am from. I do still see the LAX direct flight but I have not had any searches help me get to LAX, than to Manila in a decent amount of time, I would be better picking 2 layovers it seems and going through Seoul Korea I think, about 24-26 hour flights is what it seems with layovers of only 1-3 hours. I will have to research more and hope these sites you search are smart enough to figure it all out.

I will have to figure out the money thing, what to bring, where to exchange. Arriving late at night sorta does not help, but at least the hotel and that will probably be paid for in advance. I am also hoping that she will have more advise, guidance for me once we can talk more and try and figure this out.

I will have to figure out the cell phone, I want to be able to use my phone on the plane to communicate and when I arrive to let her know I am there, so that is why I am hesitant about this sim card switch thing as arriving late at night and also on the way there my phone would be useless. Even if I have to get a temporary plan with T Mobile or something where I can use another phone just for the trip or something, at least I have coverage and can use my phone all the way thru. I am not sure if that is possible? Is WiFi pretty good in Philippines? I was suggest a pocket wifi? by my phone company they said that I do not have to connect to any local wifi? I do like the idea of being able to keep using my phone on the way there and through the trip.

Thanks for the advice on the wallet and only caring cash and ID. If I am at a hotel, do you think its safe to leave my passport there? I only carry my wallet in my front pocket.

Good tip on the stand away from her until a price is figured out, I am assuming that is mainly at markets and such, like you said malls its probably a set price and that.

I am certainly an open minded person, just a down to earth, simple person so I should not have any issues with it not being like America, and would be able to embrace and appreciate new things, different things I see and am around. From what I have heard the culture is really amazing, more family values and such. I agree with the not criticizing, not being like this is how things are done in America, thats not my type of personality so I should not have any issues with just letting others be them and letting it all soak in.

Thanks for the tips.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, RO_AH said:

One last thing that I forgot to add is that no one is in a hurry in the Philippines. Nothing moves at the pace that it does in most of America. Develop patience because you will need it.

Its refreshing that things will not move at the pace they do in America. Getting tired of the pace in America which just wears a person out. Slowing down and enjoying things will be a nice change of pace.

On 8/22/2022 at 4:50 AM, Palawan said:

Be Aware facemasks enforcements is still in full effect, for some reason everyone still is required to wear a facemask even being outside or driving a car alone.

I did have a few mall in the province still request vaccine cards to enter, they have the people brained washed about social distance and washing hands.

You will feel like you traveled back in time 2 years seeing all the facemasks.

I certainly plan on bringing N95 masks. I will also bring a copy of my vaccine card and carry it with just in case when out and about.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.