lindapinda

Advice about CR-1 for marriage in Cambodia

6 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm new here, so please be gentle. ☺️ I've done a lot of scouring, but I want to share some details of my specific situation.

I'm an American currently waiting on the finalization of my divorce which should happen sometime in September. My boyfriend (Cambodian) and I are planning to get engaged in early September when I visit Cambodia. I'm hoping to not have to go through the hoopla of a traditional engagement ceremony. First question: Is it imperative that the engagement ceremony happens?

I was initially planning on filing I-129F (K-1) as soon as my divorce is finalized, but thanks to everyone here, I've learned about the I-130 (CR-1).

I plan to go back to Cambodia in December/January, so I'm wondering if this seems like the right timeline and best course of action for my scenario.

• September 2022 - Get engaged in Cambodia
  • December 2022 - Get married in Cambodia
  • February 2023 - File I-130 when I return to the US (Is it possible to file in December from Cambodia since it's online?)

Considerations: It's important to me that we do this right, and as expeditiously as possible (recognizing it can take years). I want to go with the path of least resistance, but most importantly, I want his transition to American life to be as seamless as possible, hence the consideration for CR-1.

Is there anything I can or should do while I'm in Cambodia in September to make the process smoother? For example, should I make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy to confirm which documents I'll need on my December trip to get legally married?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lindapinda

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
34 minutes ago, lindapinda said:

Hello!

I'm new here, so please be gentle. ☺️ I've done a lot of scouring, but I want to share some details of my specific situation.

I'm an American currently waiting on the finalization of my divorce which should happen sometime in September. My boyfriend (Cambodian) and I are planning to get engaged in early September when I visit Cambodia. I'm hoping to not have to go through the hoopla of a traditional engagement ceremony. First question: Is it imperative that the engagement ceremony happens? No

I was initially planning on filing I-129F (K-1) as soon as my divorce is finalized, but thanks to everyone here, I've learned about the I-130 (CR-1).

I plan to go back to Cambodia in December/January, so I'm wondering if this seems like the right timeline and best course of action for my scenario.

• February 2023 - File I-130 when I return to the US (Is it possible to file in December from Cambodia since it's online?) Yes

Considerations: It's important to me that we do this right, and as expeditiously as possible (recognizing it can take years). I want to go with the path of least resistance, but most importantly, I want his transition to American life to be as seamless as possible, hence the consideration for CR-1. This process takes 1.5 - 2 years from date of filing to interview. Nothing is fast

Is there anything I can or should do while I'm in Cambodia in September to make the process smoother? For example, should I make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy to confirm which documents I'll need on my December trip to get legally married? No. That's not their job

Thanks in advance!

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, lindapinda said:

Hello!

I'm an American currently waiting on the finalization of my divorce which should happen sometime in September. My boyfriend (Cambodian) and I are planning to get engaged in early September when I visit Cambodia. I'm hoping to not have to go through the hoopla of a traditional engagement ceremony. First question: Is it imperative that the engagement ceremony happens?

• February 2023 - File I-130 when I return to the US (Is it possible to file in December from Cambodia since it's online?)

Considerations: It's important to me that we do this right, and as expeditiously as possible (recognizing it can take years). I want to go with the path of least resistance, but most importantly, I want his transition to American life to be as seamless as possible, hence the consideration for CR-1.

Is there anything I can or should do while I'm in Cambodia in September to make the process smoother? For example, should I make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy to confirm which documents I'll need on my December trip to get legally married?

Thanks in advance!

Have you ever met before, in person?

2 hours ago, lindapinda said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

Getting married in Cambodia is a process... I'm not sure you can do everything in advance in September might have to do it in all December.

@Dataunavailable what was your experience like?

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Start here.  https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/additional-resources-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-cambodia/

Whether by courier or online, you can file the I-130 as soon as you have all the necessary supporting documentation.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OP has closed her account, so this thread is now locked.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.