Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,174 posts in this topic

Hello my friends. I had my E2-NIW interview today. Unfortunately, it was refused for now and went into Administrative Processing under section 221g. I am 99.9% sure it's because my country of Birth. I am a Canadian citizen, but my place of birth is Iran. I have even studied in the US for 2 years, and travel there couple of times every year. Also, I work for a major US company. 

Typical interview questions (job, education, intended work in US), and then focused on my country of birth. 

Didn't ask for any additional documents for administrative processing. 

Very frustrating after waiting 2.5 years for the interview, but it's what it is. Really can't do anything about it. 

Hi Behnam,

I don't think you need to worry about rejection yet! I applied for a business visa back in July and got the 221g-blue slip, but I got cleared within three weeks and made my trip to the USA.  They mostly do this to buy times since the officer have not reviewed the document before the interview. My business visa got approved while I had an immigration case at Montreal (I did my business visa interview at Ottawa). You are Canadien citizen meaning they have access to your background through Canada since there is a background check for Canadian citizenship. Hopefully you hear back from them very soon!

13 minutes ago, BGO said:

Hi Behnam,

I don't think you need to worry about rejection yet! I applied for a business visa back in July and got the 221g-blue slip, but I got cleared within three weeks and made my trip to the USA.  They mostly do this to buy times since the officer have not reviewed the document before the interview. My business visa got approved while I had an immigration case at Montreal (I did my business visa interview at Ottawa). You are Canadien citizen meaning they have access to your background through Canada since there is a background check for Canadian citizenship. Hopefully you hear back from them very soon!

Thanks for your your support my friend. You brought up a good point. I had already requested job transfer to  US from my company. Maybe, I can still get a TN visa while the AP is ongoing.  

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=202210&RIN=1400-AF31

image.thumb.png.e9164711b897d85878ade6e1fdf5bf97.png

So I was reading that the DOS is ruling to waive in person consular interviews in April. Do we think this is going to apply to EB interviews and do you think this will instantly approve everyone who is already DQ'd? It would be really nice to skip this whole process altogether - or perhaps do some kind of online version!

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, dandelion1 said:

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=202210&RIN=1400-AF31

image.thumb.png.e9164711b897d85878ade6e1fdf5bf97.png

So I was reading that the DOS is ruling to waive in person consular interviews in April. Do we think this is going to apply to EB interviews and do you think this will instantly approve everyone who is already DQ'd? It would be really nice to skip this whole process altogether - or perhaps do some kind of online version!

I'm skeptical.  I wonder if this is in relation to the temporary rule on previous immigrant visa applicants?

On 12/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, kachab said:

When you receive your interview letter and before your actual appointment, you will have to register online for the courier service (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MTL-Montreal.html). This is where you will have to pick the post office or give the address you want them to send your passports and documents to. There is a list of specific post offices where they can be sent to, not any Canada Post Office. From what I remember, the post offices available were only in the main Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc). People who live too far from those post office have no choice but to have them sent to their home address. Maybe it has changed, but there was no option to pick up directly at the Consulate. 

You probably can get your documents sent to the hotel, but I would personally tend to have them sent in a post office in Montreal since you will be sure that they will not fall into someone else's hands at the hotel reception and have trouble getting them. Also, I think you get them a day or two sooner if they are sent to a post office. If I remember correctly,  you also have to pay extra if you want to have your passport sent to an address other than a post office. 

When you register, if you pick the post office option, you will need to specify which ID you will show to pick your documents up and the address on it. I used my New York driver's license with my US address and I was asked to show it at the post office. They really checked if it matched the ID I said I would be using when I registered for the courier. I don't know if you also need to give an ID if they send to a home address. Maybe the postman has to check it and have you sign to give you the documents, I am not sure.  

Hi @kachab May I know how many days or weeks  it took for you to collect your passport from Montreal  post office after your interview date? Please let me know when you get a chance to see this. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, DTCC said:

Hi @kachab May I know how many days or weeks  it took for you to collect your passport from Montreal  post office after your interview date? Please let me know when you get a chance to see this. Thank you!

Hi @DTCC

I had my interview on a Wednesday morning, the next day I was receiving the tracking for my passport and on Friday morning I collected it at the Ottawa post office. They had told me at the end of the interview that I would get it back within 2-3 weeks, but it turned out to be only 2 days. 

10 hours ago, kachab said:

Hi @DTCC

I had my interview on a Wednesday morning, the next day I was receiving the tracking for my passport and on Friday morning I collected it at the Ottawa post office. They had told me at the end of the interview that I would get it back within 2-3 weeks, but it turned out to be only 2 days. 

Thanks @kachab. Couple of more questions:

#1 Can I give change of address during the interview? Or Is this something can be done when I cross the border with Welcome packet? The address provided in  DS260  is no longer valid and I have to update the address. Tried with NVC when my case with them but no luck.

#2 I spoke with US border office at Port Champlin to confirm they process  Immigrant visa with Welcome packet  and the response was affirmative but the person who picked up the phone said they review and approve/disapprove based on their review. Any possibility of getting disapproved at the border? This is a hypothetical question and no one can predict US immigration and in particular at the border but wanted to know your experience. So far I was thinking the border officials job was to review the Welcome letter and ensure all information is correct and send the details out to agency who print the card?

Thanks for your time and help!

2 hours ago, DTCC said:

Thanks @kachab. Couple of more questions:

#1 Can I give change of address during the interview? Or Is this something can be done when I cross the border with Welcome packet? The address provided in  DS260  is no longer valid and I have to update the address. Tried with NVC when my case with them but no luck.

#2 I spoke with US border office at Port Champlin to confirm they process  Immigrant visa with Welcome packet  and the response was affirmative but the person who picked up the phone said they review and approve/disapprove based on their review. Any possibility of getting disapproved at the border? This is a hypothetical question and no one can predict US immigration and in particular at the border but wanted to know your experience. So far I was thinking the border officials job was to review the Welcome letter and ensure all information is correct and send the details out to agency who print the card?

Thanks for your time and help!

Hi @DTCC.

#1. I remember they asked me my address at the interview, so I assume you could ask them to change it (I did not need to). Also, they also ask it at the border, so surely it can be changed there as well. For the green card itself, it would not be an issue if you entered the US without having changed it. When you get your passport back with the documents in a sealed envelope that you have to hand in at the border, there is also a document that explains that you have to create an online account with the USCIS and pay the immigration fees. I think you can change your address directly in that account or you just have to call USCIS and they will change it for you. (There is more info regarding this account and how to contact the USCIS here: https://www.uscis.gov/contactcenter). The card takes a while to get printed, so you would have enough time to contact the USCIS and get your mailing address changed.

Where it gets trickier is with the Social Security Number card. If you asked on your DS260 to have a card (or a new card) issued, when you get to the border and they stamp your visa, it will automatically trigger its issuance and they do it really fast. The printing date on my card was the day after I entered the US and I received it about a week and a half later. There's therefore no time to change your address after having crossed the border and I am not sure how you would go about doing it. I am not sure at that point after you are in the US if changing your address with USCIS would change it at the Social Security office as well. I have heard of many people on VJ  who had asked to get a SSN issued on their DS260 and did not get it. They just had to go and apply in person at a Social Security office. It seems to be a hit or miss, so nothing to worry about if you don't receive it. The border official I had did not even know that he was triggering the issuance of my SSN card. 

#2 I have never heard of anyone who got denied at the border. They ask you a few basic questions (like what job are you going to do in the US, your company and where are you going to live), but they clearly do no review your case in depth. They try to make it look like they could potentially deny you entry to the US, but I think it is more a show than anything else. Anyway, they need to ask you to confirm some information on your case to make sure that the documents that are in the sealed envelope that the consulate sent you and that you then handed to them (do NOT open that envelope!), are really for your case and not someone else's. 

Since you mentioned Port Champlin, I am assuming you will be driving to the US like I did (I crossed at Thousand Islands). When you get to the passport control, you just have to hand in your passport to the border officer and tell him/her that you are entering the US for the first time as a permanent resident. He will ask you to park your car and go inside the office. You will then hand in your sealed envelope and they will go through all the documents and re-enter some information in their computer system. They also took my fingerprints again (and I think my photo, but I am not 100% sure anymore). When this is all done, they stamp the visa that the consulate had put in your passport and you are free to go. 

You just have to make sure that they keep the documents from the consulate that you gave them. I have heard on VJ a few instances where the officer was confused and handed the documents back to the person and it delayed the printing of the green card because they said the packet was lost. My understanding is that the border needs to send that paperwork to the USCIS for the green card to be released for printing. The person had to get an appointment to a local USCIS in the US to hand in the packet and it seemed to have been quite complicated. I think some officers get confused because some immigrant visa categories do not have a packet anymore but the employment-based ones still do. 

My understanding is that the three main things that need to be done right for the green card to be printed are that the physical packet has to be sent by the border officials to the USCIS, you need to have paid the immigrant fee and the USCIS needs to have your fingerprints on file. If one of those three things are missing, your card will be delayed. In my case,  it took 8 months to get it even though it appears that everything was done correctly. Seems I just fell through the cracks. If all goes well, they aim to send you the card within 90 days, but many people seem to receive it sooner than that recently. In case there is a glitch with your card issuance, there is the thread on VJ below that I found quite useful to navigate the delay. Hopefully you don't need it! 

I wish you the best of luck for your interview. You will soon cross the finish line!! 

1 hour ago, kachab said:

Hi @DTCC.

#1. I remember they asked me my address at the interview, so I assume you could ask them to change it (I did not need to). Also, they also ask it at the border, so surely it can be changed there as well. For the green card itself, it would not be an issue if you entered the US without having changed it. When you get your passport back with the documents in a sealed envelope that you have to hand in at the border, there is also a document that explains that you have to create an online account with the USCIS and pay the immigration fees. I think you can change your address directly in that account or you just have to call USCIS and they will change it for you. (There is more info regarding this account and how to contact the USCIS here: https://www.uscis.gov/contactcenter). The card takes a while to get printed, so you would have enough time to contact the USCIS and get your mailing address changed.

Where it gets trickier is with the Social Security Number card. If you asked on your DS260 to have a card (or a new card) issued, when you get to the border and they stamp your visa, it will automatically trigger its issuance and they do it really fast. The printing date on my card was the day after I entered the US and I received it about a week and a half later. There's therefore no time to change your address after having crossed the border and I am not sure how you would go about doing it. I am not sure at that point after you are in the US if changing your address with USCIS would change it at the Social Security office as well. I have heard of many people on VJ  who had asked to get a SSN issued on their DS260 and did not get it. They just had to go and apply in person at a Social Security office. It seems to be a hit or miss, so nothing to worry about if you don't receive it. The border official I had did not even know that he was triggering the issuance of my SSN card. 

#2 I have never heard of anyone who got denied at the border. They ask you a few basic questions (like what job are you going to do in the US, your company and where are you going to live), but they clearly do no review your case in depth. They try to make it look like they could potentially deny you entry to the US, but I think it is more a show than anything else. Anyway, they need to ask you to confirm some information on your case to make sure that the documents that are in the sealed envelope that the consulate sent you and that you then handed to them (do NOT open that envelope!), are really for your case and not someone else's. 

Since you mentioned Port Champlin, I am assuming you will be driving to the US like I did (I crossed at Thousand Islands). When you get to the passport control, you just have to hand in your passport to the border officer and tell him/her that you are entering the US for the first time as a permanent resident. He will ask you to park your car and go inside the office. You will then hand in your sealed envelope and they will go through all the documents and re-enter some information in their computer system. They also took my fingerprints again (and I think my photo, but I am not 100% sure anymore). When this is all done, they stamp the visa that the consulate had put in your passport and you are free to go. 

You just have to make sure that they keep the documents from the consulate that you gave them. I have heard on VJ a few instances where the officer was confused and handed the documents back to the person and it delayed the printing of the green card because they said the packet was lost. My understanding is that the border needs to send that paperwork to the USCIS for the green card to be released for printing. The person had to get an appointment to a local USCIS in the US to hand in the packet and it seemed to have been quite complicated. I think some officers get confused because some immigrant visa categories do not have a packet anymore but the employment-based ones still do. 

My understanding is that the three main things that need to be done right for the green card to be printed are that the physical packet has to be sent by the border officials to the USCIS, you need to have paid the immigrant fee and the USCIS needs to have your fingerprints on file. If one of those three things are missing, your card will be delayed. In my case,  it took 8 months to get it even though it appears that everything was done correctly. Seems I just fell through the cracks. If all goes well, they aim to send you the card within 90 days, but many people seem to receive it sooner than that recently. In case there is a glitch with your card issuance, there is the thread on VJ below that I found quite useful to navigate the delay. Hopefully you don't need it! 

I wish you the best of luck for your interview. You will soon cross the finish line!! 

Thank you so much @kachabfor  taking your time out and sharing the details. Noted them. It helps immensely.

Yes, I drove from GA to Montreal and will drive back to US once I get the Passport/Welcome Packet. I have SSN but have to apply for my wife at the local  SSN office if we run into any issues in-line with what you stated. Not an issue if it's not automatically triggered.

I will make sure three items you called out for the green card to be printed. Fingers Crossed!

Once again, Thank you!

49 minutes ago, DTCC said:

Thank you so much @kachabfor  taking your time out and sharing the details. Noted them. It helps immensely.

Yes, I drove from GA to Montreal and will drive back to US once I get the Passport/Welcome Packet. I have SSN but have to apply for my wife at the local  SSN office if we run into any issues in-line with what you stated. Not an issue if it's not automatically triggered.

I will make sure three items you called out for the green card to be printed. Fingers Crossed!

Once again, Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, are you not getting a new SSN card for yourself even if you already have a SSN? I am asking because I had already been working in the US on a TN and had a SSN, but on my card, it said something like "valid only with work permit", so I had to get a new one after getting approved for the green card. My new SSN card has the same number as before, but the work permit note has been removed. 

2 hours ago, kachab said:

Just out of curiosity, are you not getting a new SSN card for yourself even if you already have a SSN? I am asking because I had already been working in the US on a TN and had a SSN, but on my card, it said something like "valid only with work permit", so I had to get a new one after getting approved for the green card. My new SSN card has the same number as before, but the work permit note has been removed. 

I just looked at my SSN card after saw your message. Yes there is a note which says 'Only for Work Authorization with INS'.  I got my SSN long back and didn't observe this so far. Thanks again.

I didn't opt for SSN in DS260. Looks like I have to go to local SSN office with stamp on the passport to get this note removed and get the new one. Since the number stays the same, Hope I can continue to work for my current employer in the US with no disruption. Not sure have to update my HR team in this aspect once I obtain my new SSN card.

33 minutes ago, DTCC said:

I just looked at my SSN card after saw your message. Yes there is a note which says 'Only for Work Authorization with INS'.  I got my SSN long back and didn't observe this so far. Thanks again.

I didn't opt for SSN in DS260. Looks like I have to go to local SSN office with stamp on the passport to get this note removed and get the new one. Since the number stays the same, Hope I can continue to work for my current employer in the US with no disruption. Not sure have to update my HR team in this aspect once I obtain my new SSN card.

Oh yes, the note you mention is what I had. I couldn't remember the exact wording! Same for me, I hadn't noticed that note on my card until the immigration attorney sent me the draft of the DS260 for review and I saw that he had requested a new SSN card and I asked him why I needed a new one! 

I don't think you even need to tell anything to HR when you get the new card. All they care about is that your number stays the same. I have the suspicion that even if we never got a new card, it would not be a problem. I've been in the US for 10 years now and never once had to show that card to anybody, even when I changed jobs. They were just interested in knowing the SSN number. 

5 minutes ago, kachab said:

Oh yes, the note you mention is what I had. I couldn't remember the exact wording! Same for me, I hadn't noticed that note on my card until the immigration attorney sent me the draft of the DS260 for review and I saw that he had requested a new SSN card and I asked him why I needed a new one! 

I don't think you even need to tell anything to HR when you get the new card. All they care about is that your number stays the same. I have the suspicion that even if we never got a new card, it would not be a problem. I've been in the US for 10 years now and never once had to show that card to anybody, even when I changed jobs. They were just interested in knowing the SSN number. 

You are correct, the number plays a role but good that you brought it up.  Maybe down the line when we go for Citizenship / try to get SSN benefits, the current note on the SSN card may pose an issue. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.