2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone actually know what they are required to do on their end once we send them our DS5535?

I.E. when we send then our 15 year travel/work,etc. history,are they having to contact every single country and place we went to/worked at/lived in?

11 minutes ago, Canucklehead said:

Does anyone actually know what they are required to do on their end once we send them our DS5535?

I.E. when we send then our 15 year travel/work,etc. history,are they having to contact every single country and place we went to/worked at/lived in?

I believe multiple agencies such as Homeland Security, the Department of State, and the FBI conduct background checks. Unfortunately, the timelines for processing our information are unclear, leaving us uncertain about how long these checks will take.

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Canucklehead said:

https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOS-2023-0028-0001

You might look the above link on the ds5535 process or  page 168 of this thread. And find some clues. 

BTW

DOS wants more budget from Congress to do DS5535, asked for public comments, actually they got near 800 feedbacks. 

3 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

You may look at the following link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Advisory_Opinion

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

More than half a dozen posts discussing the L-2 visa have been removed.  This thread is to discuss Montreal only.  There are other places on this site to discuss the L-2, et al.  Anyone who breathes another word about L-2 in this thread should be reported so that harsh administrative action can be applied.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Abriel said:

Anyone have success with contacting your senator? Does it do anything? 

I’ve tried my local congresswoman in California. No help, as they got the same generic response that I would get. Did not get a response from the Senator. 

10 minutes ago, APRIL2023 said:

I’ve tried my local congresswoman in California. No help, as they got the same generic response that I would get. Did not get a response from the Senator. 

Same with us. Nowadays, they don’t even reply to us but do reply to the congressman/woman. Yet with the generic response we used to get previously. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Abriel said:

Anyone have success with contacting your senator? Does it do anything? 

My senator also sent a request but was met with the same generic response. The consulate email they received also said that no government representative may expedite or appear to influence a case in any way, so no, it appears there is nothing they can do.

Edited by cala2023

Timeline

The most recent time I crossed into the USA, the border control officer mentioned that I could just stay in the USA and adjust my status (he supposedly did this with his wife, who was born outside the USA). Of course, I would prefer to go through the way I have set out to do already as it means I can continue to work here in Canada while I am present in the country - but does anyone have any experience with that process? It seems (according to the BCO) that the process is currently only taking a few months to get status adjusted.

Pros seem to be that the process might be faster. Cons being you cannot leave the country and would be unable to work/potentially causes even further delays since you are essentially abandoning this process.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

The most recent time I crossed into the USA, the border control officer mentioned that I could just stay in the USA and adjust my status (he supposedly did this with his wife, who was born outside the USA). Of course, I would prefer to go through the way I have set out to do already as it means I can continue to work here in Canada while I am present in the country - but does anyone have any experience with that process? It seems (according to the BCO) that the process is currently only taking a few months to get status adjusted.

Pros seem to be that the process might be faster. Cons being you cannot leave the country and would be unable to work/potentially causes even further delays since you are essentially abandoning this process.

What's the status the BCO gave you when entered US ?

BCO usually stamped  " Admitted until N/C" on Canadian passport. If no status, it seems not practical ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Canucklehead said:

To be honest I didn't even get a stamp the last time I entered US, but I'm assuming it would be B2 as the few other times I've gotten a stamp it's said that. Just frustrating to hear that I maybe could have just showed up in the USA 2 years ago, filed a change of status and have already been working and living with my spouse there over the past year.

Instead, I (and many people here) have chosen to go the CR-1 or IR-1 route because we wanted to be honest and forthright with our intentions, and yet we are shuffled off to the side and delayed upon delayed by the bureaucratic processes - even when we have proven we would be valuable citizens to the USA (no criminal record, valuable skills). We are separated from our family cruelly and unjustly, and absolutely nothing is being done about it. If anything, the delays are now getting longer.

Makes you wonder if it wouldn't be better to just show up and say "hey I want a new status" and avoid all of this bureaucratic BS. 

Depending on when the border guard did this (years ago pre 90's it was actually perfectly legal to do this), or other circumstances. Today entering with the intent to AOS is fraud and this can lead to a lifetime ban.  Please do not do this. 

Also just a note for others, it would not be the first time border guards gave the wrong advice out. They have turned away many members telling them they cannot travel once their paperwork reaches NVC. We all know that is not correct but it happens. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.