2,958 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Admitt said:

I have been on AP since May 3rd and have gotten multiple automatic response. I emailed them on Oct 16 and got a response that sounded generic but added in the and acknowledged the date of my interview.

Does this mean anything? All my kids got their green cards while I am stuck waiting....

One of my parents got stuck in AP earlier this month. The case status updated 6 or 7 times in 2 weeks after submission of DS-5535 and after that no more updates. I can guess they may be preparing  file/data based on DS-5535 and DS-260 to send it to State Dept for further processing as our case is in the earlier stage of AP.

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Admitt said:

I have been on AP since May 3rd and have gotten multiple automatic response. I emailed them on Oct 16 and got a response that sounded generic but added in the and acknowledged the date of my interview.

Does this mean anything? All my kids got their green cards while I am stuck waiting....

Maybe because you are at the 6 month milestone? It says on their website to not even reach out to them until at least 6 months. The March - May AP people are getting close to hearing back I think.

Do you mind adding yourself to:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0. I find it useful to see where I am relative to everyone else. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Gha said:

@ak47 when was your last update on visa status.I also received Ds 5535 and my last update in June .after June no update

thank you 

Mine was in mid June when I sent them an email. Earlier the date got updated when they responded to my email but now the date doesn't even update if they respond. 

Also.my.last email to them was on Sept 20 when I completed 6 months but still no response. 

5 minutes ago, ak47 said:

Mine was in mid June when I sent them an email. Earlier the date got updated when they responded to my email but now the date doesn't even update if they respond. 

Also.my.last email to them was on Sept 20 when I completed 6 months but still no response. 

They also didn’t reply to my email which I sent early September whereas previously they would send a response in ~2 weeks time. They did, however, respond to my husband’s congressmen who inquired on our case. The response to him was their standard generic reply. Currently at 206 days post interview. We also consulted with PIC lawyers but were told, as others mentioned already, judges are a lot more strict and he referenced the case where WOM was denied in spite of it having been 16-18 months after the interview citing that this was not a long duration. 

42 minutes ago, haruharu said:

They also didn’t reply to my email which I sent early September whereas previously they would send a response in ~2 weeks time. They did, however, respond to my husband’s congressmen who inquired on our case. The response to him was their standard generic reply. Currently at 206 days post interview. We also consulted with PIC lawyers but were told, as others mentioned already, judges are a lot more strict and he referenced the case where WOM was denied in spite of it having been 16-18 months after the interview citing that this was not a long duration. 

Does your husband had a lot of travel history? Also, would you mind sharing what’s the background of your husband, educational and backhome ties with any MENA countries or India, Pakistan? Just trying to see the pattern of this drastic DS-5535. Thank you 

1 hour ago, haruharu said:

You may also file in the state where your spouse lives, if you look on pacer, other districts (especially California,  Texas, NY) don't really waste time fighting these cases. DC is a very tough district, avoid filing there if you can.

I think for many WOM is the only way out, even after a year they aren't required to finish processing you. They can keep this going forever.

Edited by ShawnK

27 minutes ago, Ahmad0606 said:

Does your husband had a lot of travel history? Also, would you mind sharing what’s the background of your husband, educational and backhome ties with any MENA countries or India, Pakistan? Just trying to see the pattern of this drastic DS-5535. Thank you 

Anyone can get it, however,  more likey if you have an Islamic name or born in/travel to Islamic countries. Any Middle East country , especially Iran/Iraq almost always = endless admin processing,  Pakistan, Afghanistan...yep you will be in admin processing for a long long time. Somalia too. Basically they want to discourage folks from certain backgrounds. They don't care if you are a Canadian citizen, they look at your background. 

Also, I think Canada has a reputation for being more lenient on immigration, letting in people the US wouldn't,  so I think that is a factor as to why they are so strict. 

You won't just waltz your way to a  greencard, the United States is the greatest, richest and most powerul nation to ever exist, top bond and capital markets. Immense power. They will make you really earn that greencard.

Edited by ShawnK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Today marks 10 weeks since interview and 8 weeks since we sent in 221g additional documents... 

Has anyone been approved after a 221g recently? How long did it take to hear back from the consulate? 

We had the "wrong birth certificate".... I hate to think he would be here with me right now if we had the right one on interview day. 

31 minutes ago, ShawnK said:

You may also file in the state where your spouse lives, if you look on pacer, other districts (especially California,  Texas, NY) don't really waste time fighting these cases. DC is a very tough district, avoid filing there if you can.

I think for many WOM is the only way out, even after a year they aren't required to finish processing you. They can keep this going forever.

Unfortunately, we are in the DMV area so it would go to DC or Virginia which is also known to be tough. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, ShawnK said:

Also, I think Canada has a reputation for being more lenient on immigration, letting in people the US wouldn't,  so I think that is a factor as to why they are so strict. 

I don't think you're completely off the mark here.  There appears to be a good number of people who seem to use Canada and the ease of obtaining Canadian PR and citizenship as a gateway to the US. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

6 hours ago, mam521 said:

I don't think you're completely off the mark here.  There appears to be a good number of people who seem to use Canada and the ease of obtaining Canadian PR and citizenship as a gateway to the US. 

The CBC just had a story on it, tech folks from Bombay appalled at the cost of the living/low pay, high taxes in Canada etc..in the story it specifically mentioned people sticking around so they could become a citizen and get a TN in the US, where there were much better opportunities to grow their career and buy homes.

This is a well-known thing in certain communities, probably since the 90s.

People give the US a lot of criticism,  but it is the place to be. 

7 hours ago, haruharu said:

Unfortunately, we are in the DMV area so it would go to DC or Virginia which is also known to be tough. 

So did the lawyer suggest you just wait? At least he is honest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.