2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Fayisa said:

Guys wondering how often you reach to the consualte for an update, I have received the last email from them on the 25th, and it was the last time they updated my case. Should I reach out again ? It is almost 4 weeks since they recieved my passport. 

Do you mind adding yourself to here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0?

I have a WoM active so I haven't reached our directly. They do say on their website to not reach out until at least 6 months after you give them your DS-5535.

2 hours ago, Fayisa said:

Guys wondering how often you reach to the consualte for an update, I have received the last email from them on the 25th, and it was the last time they updated my case. Should I reach out again ? It is almost 4 weeks since they recieved my passport. 

I’m wondering what they say in their response email back to you after sending a case inquiry to the Montreal consulate? I am trying to understand the logic behind the “case last update” in correlation with the emails. Thanks in advance 

38 minutes ago, Ahmad0606 said:

I’m wondering what they say in their response email back to you after sending a case inquiry to the Montreal consulate? I am trying to understand the logic behind the “case last update” in correlation with the emails. Thanks in advance 

The last time I emailed them they took a  week to respond they told me my case is pending consular review. It was the last day they updated my case. Actually when you see an update on your case it gives you hope that they are working on your case. At least that how I feel. 

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Do you mind adding yourself to here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0?

I have a WoM active so I haven't reached our directly. They do say on their website to not reach out until at least 6 months after you give them your DS-5535.

I will add myself for sure. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Ahmad0606 said:

Today submitted the DS-5535 form and the case date updated to today's date. It mean form submission trigger the case update. Before it was showing the date when MTL sent DS-5535 email.

17 hours ago, Ahmad0606 said:

Case last updated changes are not useful - it happens when your file is checked. Could be progress, could be routine admin stuff, could be an email inquiry. 

15 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

I stopped checking my status everyday now, cause there’s no point in speculating anything.

This is the way

3 hours ago, ShawnK said:

So after researching this a bit more, if you do need to file a WOM, it's DC and Maryland that you want to avoid. The DC area seems to give more dismissals, something to discuss with your lawyer. 

Choice of venue isn’t so simple - many going through consular processing must file in DC as they have no ties to another state. If you file in a state you lack ties to, your case may be transferred (added delays) or at worst dismissed. This is the reason DC in particular is busy - because it’s the appropriate venue for DOS suits. 

Maryland is also busy because it’s where USCIS is HQ’d - but only a specific set of plaintiffs can file there - likely not any Montreal peeps as they need to sue DOS, not USCIS, unless they have existing ties to Maryland. 

Edited by throwitaway

Timeline

For what its worth, we filed our WoM in Northern Illinois since my wife lives outside of Chicago and we just got a motion to dismiss. I'm hoping we can connect with our lawyer on Monday.

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

For what its worth, we filed our WoM in Northern Illinois since my wife lives outside of Chicago and we just got a motion to dismiss. I'm hoping we can connect with our lawyer on Monday.

Very unfortunate. They seem to be giving these out like hotcakes. It's odd they would rather fight than just spend 30 min and adjudicate. 

Edited by ShawnK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
6 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Do you mind sharing why you think they dismissed? Did you file too early? I just got my extension (filed in NJ after 3 months in AP making it 5 months total) and I’m terrified!!

Edited by Niccie

Timeline
9 hours ago, Niccie said:

Do you mind sharing why you think they dismissed? Did you file too early? I just got my extension (filed in NJ after 3 months in AP making it 5 months total) and I’m terrified!!

Not sure at this point. Hoping to find out later today. We filed at 90 days, so you and I are very close I guess. If you could check out here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0 you could see my progress. Please add yourself as well. I'll second what was said earlier, the only comforting thing is knowing others are going through this and we aren't alone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
5 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Not sure at this point. Hoping to find out later today. We filed at 90 days, so you and I are very close I guess. If you could check out here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0 you could see my progress. Please add yourself as well. I'll second what was said earlier, the only comforting thing is knowing others are going through this and we aren't alone.

Thank you, I’ll make sure to add myself. I just saw yours and our dates are very close! My interview was April 26. Also, what embassy and what country are you from?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Niccie said:

Thank you, I’ll make sure to add myself. I just saw yours and our dates are very close! My interview was April 26. Also, what embassy and what country are you from?

This forum is only for Canada consular applications. All of us have to go through Montreal.

Edited by Superluminal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.