2,958 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

Your package didn't go digital? Most have been digital for awhile now. 

Try to cross the way it is.  Montreal is very slow to get things sorted out. I would try my luck. Years ago anything more then a small rip we would have said get it fixed.

Thanks, I am thinking the same thing: I will try to cross the border a month before visa expiry with the envelopes as they are. If any problems happens will try to contact consulate urging (begging) them to let me deliver envelopes in person and picking them also in person. I wish I could cross border sooner but unfortunately that's not possible. 

1 minute ago, GHSDK said:

Thanks, I am thinking the same thing: I will try to cross the border a month before visa expiry with the envelopes as they are. If any problems happens will try to contact consulate urging (begging) them to let me deliver envelopes in person and picking them also in person. I wish I could cross border sooner but unfortunately that's not possible. 

You could try calling the border and asking them about the damaged package and the wait time from the consulate/post. They may be able to confirm that you need a new one or if that one is fine. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Your package didn't go digital? Most have been digital for awhile now. 

Try to cross the way it is.  Montreal is very slow to get things sorted out. I would try my luck. Years ago anything more than a small rip we would have said get it fixed.

I just crossed on Dec 29 and packages are definitely not digital…not sure where you heard this from.

@GHSDK mine wasn’t ripped so I can’t comment on that. I think your medical and perhaps your 129f is in there. But if you’re worried about the extent of the rip, I think you have to weigh yourself whether you wanna flag it to the Consulate or wait and see if the border cares. It’s a tough call

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all, a few questions for those who couldn't find exact dates for their travel history:

Did you add a note explaining why you couldn't provide the exact date? AND/OR

Did you give an estimate for when you thought the trip was?

I am 100% certain of dates for the majority of my trips. However, for some of my trips from 10+ years ago, I cannot find any record for them (I.e. in my passport/email/messages). I've so far just put a message similar to:

"Country X. Dates: May 2-5 (these dates are an estimate based on talking to others who travelled with me. None of us have  specific information for when the trip was)"

Also, if I happen to go on any trips after submitting my DS-5535 - do I need to update the embassy of these trips as well?

36 minutes ago, mymissingpiece said:

I just crossed on Dec 29 and packages are definitely not digital…not sure where you heard this from.

@GHSDK mine wasn’t ripped so I can’t comment on that. I think your medical and perhaps your 129f is in there. But if you’re worried about the extent of the rip, I think you have to weigh yourself whether you wanna flag it to the Consulate or wait and see if the border cares. It’s a tough call

K1 Visa (129f- Fiancé) are still a package, physically handed to the CBP and they forward to a service center. 

Marriage visa types (CR1/IR1) are digital and are pulled up on the system by CBP. Hope that helps 

13 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

Did you add a note explaining why you couldn't provide the exact date? AND/OR

Did you give an estimate for when you thought the trip was?

A simple (estimate) should suffice. They just copy paste the data into whatever portal they’re using to submit it. 

13 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

Also, if I happen to go on any trips after submitting my DS-5535 - do I need to update the embassy of these trips as well?

No, I wouldn’t. In my opinion the form should be true on the day you submit it - anything after that is 🤷 because 1) They don’t mention this 2) I have a feeling it will delay clearance further

56 minutes ago, Tiabeanie said:

After being in AP for 120 days with no DS-5535, I finally got approved. I'm so happy to be done with this. Now I'm waiting on my passport to be returned.

Congrats @Tiabeanie  ! Wish DS-5535 would go that quick,

5 hours ago, Tiabeanie said:

After being in AP for 120 days with no DS-5535, I finally got approved. I'm so happy to be done with this. Now I'm waiting on my passport to be returned.

Great congrats. very happy for you. Why you were handed 221 g anyways?

On 2/27/2023 at 2:50 PM, GHSDK said:

Interview: Feb 2021, Received DS-5535 forms the same day.

Did not file WOM.

Request to do 2nd medical/send Passport/send new Photos/Redo DS-260: Dec-2021.

Visa expiry: Exactly 6 month after 2nd medical date. 

do you mean feb 2022 and dec 2022 ?

3 hours ago, Mmk2112 said:

Great congrats. very happy for you. Why you were handed 221 g anyways?

do you mean feb 2022 and dec 2022 ?

Originally I was told no additional documents however I was told I need to resubmit my police record when I wrote the first email. Then nearly 3.5 months later I got an email from Montreal FPM saying that they need the faciltiy I'm working at to confirm my full time employment. Then 6 days after the facility wrote the email confirming my employment I got Issued.

All I can say is I'm very frustrated between the lack of communication between the departments of the consulate because had they told me they also needed the facility to confirm my employment along with my police record in the initial email, I could've been approved back in December. Anyways I'm happy I don't have to go through this hell again and I feel sorry for anyone who's still waiting to be approved despite waiting months.

12 hours ago, Tiabeanie said:

Originally I was told no additional documents however I was told I need to resubmit my police record when I wrote the first email. Then nearly 3.5 months later I got an email from Montreal FPM saying that they need the faciltiy I'm working at to confirm my full time employment. Then 6 days after the facility wrote the email confirming my employment I got Issued.

All I can say is I'm very frustrated between the lack of communication between the departments of the consulate because had they told me they also needed the facility to confirm my employment along with my police record in the initial email, I could've been approved back in December. Anyways I'm happy I don't have to go through this hell again and I feel sorry for anyone who's still waiting to be approved despite waiting months.

Gotta love bureaucracy

Timeline
On 2/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, Canucklehead said:

For anyone who does have extensive travel history, are there any tips for ensuring you get the dates/length of stay correct for places you've visited? I unfortunately do not have all of my receipts for flights, etc. over last 15 years and don't want to make any mistakes!

If you have enough time, there is a request form you can send in to get a copy of all the border crossings the CBP has record of.  I had over 700 border crossings, so it was worth it.  I assume this is the same information which would be available to the department reviewing your 5535 file.

Timeline
On 2/23/2023 at 7:46 AM, throwitaway said:

For US visits, you can look at your I-94 online

The I-94 online is perhaps a place to start, but it seems to be not reliable if you want to make sure you don't miss any crossings.  When I access the I-94 online, it only goes back a few years, and does not include every crossing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.