2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone on here actually went to visit their spouse in the USA after being given the 221(g)? 

Many people on here have said it's ok to visit as long as you respect all requirements (I.e. 6 months in 12 month window) but I can't help but be a little nervous! 

I would love to fly down for a few weeks just to visit and would love to hear anyone else's experiences (I.e. were you hassled by customs or was it clear sailing, etc.).

Edited by Canucklehead

1 hour ago, Canucklehead said:

Has anyone on here actually went to visit their spouse in the USA after being given the 221(g)? 

Many people on here have said it's ok to visit as long as you respect all requirements (I.e. 6 months in 12 month window) but I can't help but be a little nervous! 

I would love to fly down for a few weeks just to visit and would love to hear anyone else's experiences (I.e. were you hassled by customs or was it clear sailing, etc.).

Clear sailing over here

went down for Xmas for a month. 221g since Nov 8 2022 !

happy Travels 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/18/2023 at 7:56 AM, Canucklehead said:

My fiancé is currently here in the US visiting for a month. No issues at the border.

Timeline

Thanks for responses everyone!

I received an email from the consulate today! It was in response to an email I had sent to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov inquiring about what supplemental info they needed - email was sent 14 days ago.

I'm not sure when I would have received these questions had I not reached out to the consulate directly, so I would advise anyone else in a similar situation to reach out directly to the consulate if you are awaiting next steps after your 221(g) was issued. I was kind and respectful in my initial email, and included all of my pertinent information.

The email asked me to supply a variety of info including:

• My passport and travel history
  • Info about my relatives
  • My address history
  • Contact details history/social media history
  • Employment history

A few questions:

1. It mentions an OMB number and the expiry is a date in the past (Feb 28, 2021) - is this a mistake on their end/something I should be addressing? It also says the estimated burden is 60 minutes. This is going to take me a lot longer than 60 minutes - I've been to over 20 countries in the past 15 years and have held numerous different jobs too. What do they mean by burden?
  2. I already submitted a lot of this information on my initial application - is it better for me to just put it all in again? I would hate to omit anything and face even more delays
  3. There was no mention that this was DS-5535 - is this email considered DS-5535?
  4. For anyone who does have extensive travel history, are there any tips for ensuring you get the dates/length of stay correct for places you've visited? I unfortunately do not have all of my receipts for flights, etc. over last 15 years and don't want to make any mistakes!
Edited by Canucklehead

6 minutes ago, Canucklehead said:

I received an email from the consulate today! It was in response to an email I had sent to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov inquiring about what supplemental info they needed - email was sent 14 days ago.

I'm not sure when I would have received these questions had I not reached out to the consulate directly, so I would advise anyone else in a similar situation to reach out directly to the consulate if you are awaiting next steps after your 221(g) was issued. I was kind and respectful in my initial email, and included all of my pertinent information.

• My address history
  • Employment history

A few questions:

1. It mentions an OMB number and the expiry is a date in the past (Feb 28, 2021) - is this a mistake on their end/something I should be addressing? It also says the estimated burden is 60 minutes. This is going to take me a lot longer than 60 minutes - I've been to over 20 countries in the past 15 years and have held numerous different jobs too. What do they mean by burden?
  2. I already submitted a lot of this information on my initial application - is it better for me to just put it all in again? I would hate to omit anything and face even more delays
  3. There was no mention that this was DS-5535 - is this email considered DS-5535?
  4. For anyone who does have extensive travel history, are there any tips for ensuring you get the dates/length of stay correct for places you've visited? I unfortunately do not have all of my receipts for flights, etc. over last 15 years and don't want to make any mistakes!

Welcome to the 5535 nightmare now.

1/ OMB is just the form reference they use. OMB 1405-0226  so don't worry about that.

2/ Put all the same information in again, it's just very repetitive. 

3/ the questionnaire is your DS-5535 

4/ Check your emails, friends you might have travelled with, tripit app, expedia or other booking sites. 

60 min burden is an understatement, I think I took 36 hours since the 2007-2011 trips were a little blurry to remember but I did my best. I had over 300 lines of trips in 15 yrs so maybe it was just me. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, dennisv said:

Welcome to the 5535 nightmare now.

1/ OMB is just the form reference they use. OMB 1405-0226  so don't worry about that.

2/ Put all the same information in again, it's just very repetitive. 

3/ the questionnaire is your DS-5535 

4/ Check your emails, friends you might have travelled with, tripit app, expedia or other booking sites. 

60 min burden is an understatement, I think I took 36 hours since the 2007-2011 trips were a little blurry to remember but I did my best. I had over 300 lines of trips in 15 yrs so maybe it was just me. 

I can totally see this being me too - thanks for your prompt response! :) For source of funds - did you just put Savings for every trip?

I can already see this being a nightmare - I'm just wondering how they will verify my info for countries visited - it would be great if I had access to whatever they have so I can make sure I get all the dates correct.

Edited by Canucklehead

Hi

i was reading in visa journey eb2 Montreal one guy experience.he had interview last Feb 2022 and he had missing police report.officer gave him 221g and he got his approval after 9 month .he got approval in end of November and got his passport in January 2023

for only 221 g for almost 1 year even no 5535Ds

thank you

On 2/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, Canucklehead said:

• My address history
  • Employment history

A few questions:

1. Ignore that OMB stuff, it’s equivalent to “Office Use Only” 

2. Check the email carefully again - unless they’ve changed it, there’s wording that says:

Aside from your name, date of birth, and visa classification, please only provide information not included in your current visa application. For example, if all of your children are listed in your current visa application (Form DS-160 or DS-260), you do not need to list them again. 

3. Yes. 

4. Check all your former passports, the entry stamps will help. For US visits, you can look at your I-94 online. 

Timeline

Hi Folks,  I requested status update and to have my passport back on Jan 30.  They finally responded on Feb 13 with a generic message and no reference to my passport to be returned.

Today I received email notification via DOS visa system that passport is being returned.  

case status date was updated today, Feb 23 but still showing refused.  Is this just them simply returning passport on my request?  10 days later of replying to my last email without referencing passport to be sent?   Why would they have not sent it back the day they responded to email?

glimmer of hope or fat chance?  Interviewed in Nov and placed in AP DS5355.

thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, WMBB said:

Hi Folks,  I requested status update and to have my passport back on Jan 30.  They finally responded on Feb 13 with a generic message and no reference to my passport to be returned.

Today I received email notification via DOS visa system that passport is being returned.  

case status date was updated today, Feb 23 but still showing refused.  Is this just them simply returning passport on my request?  10 days later of replying to my last email without referencing passport to be sent?   Why would they have not sent it back the day they responded to email?

thanks 

Likely just returning your passport based on your request.

16 hours ago, WMBB said:

thanks 

They only send out on certain days, and it takes a while for it to go from the consulate to the third party mailing site, so it’s completely reasonable that it’s just your passport as you requested.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, throwitaway said:

Did you receive 5535? This thread is specifically for 5535 AP, as it can differ greatly from standard 221g AP. 

Not yet. She issued 221g right away and told me to wait for the email. She said they need to check my military and will ask to send them my cv again. 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, throwitaway said:

Did you receive 5535? This thread is specifically for 5535 AP, as it can differ greatly from standard 221g AP. 

I just received the 5535 email from embassy and asking for the same thing as she explained to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.