2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/31/2023 at 4:26 PM, ice-qube said:

Ladies, gentlemen, others, I am pleased to announce that 3.5 years and a $5,000 USD mandamus suit later, we have lift-off.

image.png.4888c915566935ee257a3e1a0e08faf3.png

OH MY GOD YESSSSS!!!!! I'm so happy for you. I'd say that's 5k well spent. Please keep the rest of us in your prayers.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
On 2/2/2023 at 10:12 PM, thx1139 said:

Got our tracking number today so I guess it's legit. Will post more next week once I have the visa in hand.

Hey congratulations, when was your interview?

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

5 hours ago, familyapart said:

Thank you so much for this. How long have you been in ap? I’m just curious about timing- we were denied in June and have been in ap ever since. 

We were put in Admin processing at the end of September, so about 4 months into AP, we filed for WOM. We were told by PIC law that the earliest one can apply for WOM is after 60 days. Hope this helps!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, topman said:

We were put in Admin processing at the end of September, so about 4 months into AP, we filed for WOM. We were told by PIC law that the earliest one can apply for WOM is after 60 days. Hope this helps!

Thank you it does. Appreciate it and congratulations again

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

Another quick question for the group today- to date, whenever I inquire about our case with the embassy they always respond with the same message that we are in ‘administrative processing.’ Today, when responding, they stated that our case was ‘under review.’ Do we think this means anything different, or are they using different language that means the exact same thing as ‘stuck in administrative processing?’ They did update the case this morning and it still says refused.  

1 minute ago, familyapart said:

Another quick question for the group today- to date, whenever I inquire about our case with the embassy they always respond with the same message that we are in ‘administrative processing.’ Today, when responding, they stated that our case was ‘under review.’ Do we think this means anything different, or are they using different language that means the exact same thing as ‘stuck in administrative processing?’ They did update the case this morning and it still says refused.  

I believe it's same thing. They do slight change the reply from time to time. As for the case update, I have noticed the day they reply the case, it gets an update. It's just they might have to post reply email to case in their system, or just have a glance at the case before replying, so it gets an updated date. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/3/2023 at 4:17 PM, farzady said:

is there anyone in here or you knew that submitted the hard copy of the medical to Montreal? I just want to know if they accept hard copy or not

I haven't heard of Montreal accepting hard copies since covid.  It's all been fully digital.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, familyapart said:

Hi all. Looking to file a mandamus and would like the names of GREAT lawyers that specialize in this. Of course I see Josh Goldstein- wondering if he’s actually any good. I saw a previous post about PIC law firm- wondering who they are. Any help/guidance would be very appreciated. TIA.  

I’ll +1 for PIC Law - you might’ve seen my post about them but it was way back. 

They’re a genuine immigration law firm that deals with complex issues and know the ins and outs. As others have mentioned, you only deal with actual lawyers, not assistants or paralegals. 

I personally communicated with mostly Chris Casassaza and Alex Isbel. They’re fantastic, not expensive and actually competent. 

Many of the popular names you see mentioned in forums and group chats are what I call “churn firms” that charge 5k+ USD to submit the same copied and pasted documents with some personal details changed. Really gross behaviour in my opinion. 

PIC writes it specifically based on your case, your information, relevant laws and case history that apply to your situation. 

I’m framing my copy of the lawsuit. 

edit: anyone that ONLY files WoM, in my opinion, is a lazy lawyer. If there is an entire law firm set up to file one of the simpler legal filings in bulk, you’re paying them to file paperwork and not do much else. 

Edited by Siarg
Added addendum

Timeline
1 hour ago, Tiabeanie said:

Has anyone filed a WoM for being in AP without receiving a questionnaire/DS-5535? I'm deciding to weigh my options if I should continue to wait or consider filing WoM. I've been in AP for 100 days with no questionnaire/DS-5535 given. My category is EB3.

Usually non-5535 is because of a missing document or questions about validity of documents. 

if everything was all good and nothing seemed weird, it is probably the same background check as 5535 anyway. The questionnaire usually doesn’t give them much new information 

20 minutes ago, Siarg said:

Usually non-5535 is because of a missing document or questions about validity of documents. 

if everything was all good and nothing seemed weird, it is probably the same background check as 5535 anyway. The questionnaire usually doesn’t give them much new information 

Initially I was only given a 221g form and they checked off additional processing is required. I emailed them 2 weeks after my interview and they said I needed to resend my police certificate. I sent it back in early December.

Whenever I email them I get this generic message: "This case is currently pending to be reviewed by a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case"

I'm stumped because I wasn't given DS-5535 and I thought with them needing my police certificate I'd be approved right away but at the same time I've been in administrative processing for over 90 days and I don't like the lack of transparency and feeling in the dark. I'd hate to file a lawsuit and spend 6k when I would've been approved 2 weeks later if I just waited a little longer. This waiting game has been difficult and I hate the fact I may have to pay thousands of dollars to get my case moving. Sorry for the rant I'm just irritated with the bureaucracy.

4 hours ago, Siarg said:

I’ll +1 for PIC Law - you might’ve seen my post about them but it was way back. 

They’re a genuine immigration law firm that deals with complex issues and know the ins and outs. As others have mentioned, you only deal with actual lawyers, not assistants or paralegals. 

I personally communicated with mostly Chris Casassaza and Alex Isbel. They’re fantastic, not expensive and actually competent. 

Many of the popular names you see mentioned in forums and group chats are what I call “churn firms” that charge 5k+ USD to submit the same copied and pasted documents with some personal details changed. Really gross behaviour in my opinion. 

PIC writes it specifically based on your case, your information, relevant laws and case history that apply to your situation. 

I’m framing my copy of the lawsuit. 

edit: anyone that ONLY files WoM, in my opinion, is a lazy lawyer. If there is an entire law firm set up to file one of the simpler legal filings in bulk, you’re paying them to file paperwork and not do much else. 

Thank you so much for this. I was in touch with them today. Hoping to schedule a meeting and get things rolling.  Can you share your timeline once filing? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tiabeanie said:

Initially I was only given a 221g form and they checked off additional processing is required. I emailed them 2 weeks after my interview and they said I needed to resend my police certificate. I sent it back in early December.

Whenever I email them I get this generic message: "This case is currently pending to be reviewed by a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case"

I'm stumped because I wasn't given DS-5535 and I thought with them needing my police certificate I'd be approved right away but at the same time I've been in administrative processing for over 90 days and I don't like the lack of transparency and feeling in the dark. I'd hate to file a lawsuit and spend 6k when I would've been approved 2 weeks later if I just waited a little longer. This waiting game has been difficult and I hate the fact I may have to pay thousands of dollars to get my case moving. Sorry for the rant I'm just irritated with the bureaucracy.

No need to apologize, almost everyone  here has had the same or very similar situation happen to them. 

When you’re placed in AP, it very much appears that Montreal does a SAO (Security Advisory Opinion) which is essentially what 5535 is. 

Montreal has a reputation for doing this more than almost any other consulate in the world, and nobody knows exactly why. There have been theories, but honestly the thing that makes the most sense to me is that Canada is very easy to immigrate to. There are people that move to Canada just to be closer to America. 

Basically whenever you’re placed in AP at Montreal, there are two “pathways” your AP goes. One is with your consular officer, keeping note of your case and what they need to follow up on. The other is DOS background check. 

This seems to have been the cause of everyone’s issues, and became very obvious when the Afghanistan withdrawal took over as priority #1 over any other background check. Thousands of visas put into a pile that wasn’t moving, and then 1-2 years of cases backed up by putting them all into the “we’ll do this after the background check” pile. 

In this group the wait time varies from 4 months to over a year. Most of the movement has been due to lawsuits, with the occasional organic case movement. 
Obviously it’s up to you, but if you want to have this resolved in the next few months, I would recommend filing a lawsuit if you can. 

A lawsuit guarantees something will happen, waiting could be another year. 

I’m very pro-lawsuit after experiencing it here, in DV, and in multiple visa categories. The most happy people are the ones that file a lawsuit and almost everyone wishes they did it earlier. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, familyapart said:

Thank you so much for this. I was in touch with them today. Hoping to schedule a meeting and get things rolling.  Can you share your timeline once filing? 

I was a Diversity Visa, so I had to have a result as quickly as possible. We had been on 5535 waiting for months and the deadline to be issued a DV visa is September 30th. 

I actually filed a WoM and TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) at the same time. The TRO is to get a court response forced, and not allow them to delay. 

We got our visa issued within 1 week. Received the visas/passports in the mail a week later. 

I contacted Chris and he handled it all for us, and Alex stepped in for a day when Chris was away. 

Just let him know your situation, your plan, the relevant dates, etc 

WoM is pretty standard and straightforward, the part where having a good lawyer is the relationships they have with the District attorneys of the court. Lazy lawyers don’t do that, but Chris knew the clerks and DAs etc 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.