2,958 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, AnimeLover89 said:

Hello Guys so I just received a reply from the montreal consulate after I emailed them to inquire about my case. I know its a very generic reply but this is what I received.

“We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and the additional documents you have provided. 

This case is currently pending to be reviewed by a consular officer. As soon as the review is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case. 

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the Department of State are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete. 

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.  

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.”

Pretty much exactly the response I got last week. I just emailed them again today. I'm sure the response would be the exact same but, I figured it's worth a try because I was told things would be resolved in a "few weeks" and today it has been 6 weeks.

59 minutes ago, kryptonite said:

Pretty much exactly the response I got last week. I just emailed them again today. I'm sure the response would be the exact same but, I figured it's worth a try because I was told things would be resolved in a "few weeks" and today it has been 6 weeks.

Does emailing them again works? Or in other words does it make any difference like making them speed up with our cases?

1 minute ago, AnimeLover89 said:

Does emailing them again works? Or in other words does it make any difference like making them speed up with our cases?

I guess we’ll find out! My second time emailing IS today so they’ll probably get back to me in about a week. I believe others have emailed more than once and responses have been more or less the same. I could be wrong though. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, AnimeLover89 said:

In my experience... not at all.

Timeline
2 hours ago, kryptonite said:

I guess we’ll find out! My second time emailing IS today so they’ll probably get back to me in about a week. I believe others have emailed more than once and responses have been more or less the same. I could be wrong though. 

In the last 1 year and 2 months of being in AP I have emailed these guys many times. The responses are more or less cut and paste, change a couple of words if necessary, and that is it. If you get a response in a week, you are very lucky--I have found 2-3 weeks is the norm. Sometimes, they didn't respond at all.

4 hours ago, ice-qube said:

In the last 1 year and 2 months of being in AP I have emailed these guys many times. The responses are more or less cut and paste, change a couple of words if necessary, and that is it. If you get a response in a week, you are very lucky--I have found 2-3 weeks is the norm. Sometimes, they didn't respond at all.

That’s absolutely insane. Waiting 2-3 weeks just to get a generic response is ridiculous. I know you’ve been on this thread and this forum for quite a while but I haven’t gone back far enough to know your story. If you don’t mind, what’s the reason your case is in AP for that long? Did you get the DS-5535 or 221g?

On 12/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, kryptonite said:

Hi everyone,

Quick back story on my case. I had my interview in Montreal for IR1 on November 2, 2022. The officer gave me a 221(g) form and said they have to do some additional processing on my case (AP). He told me it was related to my refusal of entry to the US earlier this year in May 2022. This wasn't in my DS-260 as it happened after the fact. The reason the border officer gave me was that because my case is currently in the immigration process, I cannot cross until that is done. It was a bit strange because I had crossed multiple times before this just as a visitor but, I was told I couldn't do that anymore either. He said I wasn't doing anything illegal and it is just the law and that I should just wait for the immigration process to be complete.

Fast forward, I told this story to the interview officer on November 2nd and he told me this was the reason he is putting it into AP just to confirm my story. He said it shouldn't be any issue based off of what the story is but he has to do his due diligence. He kept my original police certificate and my passport. I asked him how long it would take and he said a few weeks but, could not say for sure. As of today is has been a little over 5 weeks. Last week on December 1st, I emailed the Montreal consulate and just yesterday (5 business days later) I got a response from them.

"Your case is currently under administrative processing. While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete."

Looks like it is just a generic response as nothing in their email mentioned any specifics from my case. The interview officer at the time told me that there was nothing I had to do and even in this email there was no direction provided so I'm assuming they are not waiting on any documents from me or anything like that. I know some people were told that they did not need to give any documents but after reaching out to them via email they realized that the consulate is actually waiting on stuff. That doesn't seem like the case for me.

Has anybody ever received a response like this before from them? Does responding to that email again even do anything? The CEAC last update date changed to the date they sent me the email but the status still says Refused. So they probably took a glance at my case when emailing me back.

P.S. I know this is the thread for DS-5535 but, I was told to visit it as people might have some good insight on AP. Reading all of your posts and how long you all have been waiting makes my 5 weeks of waiting sound like nothing. Congrats to those who have finally heard back - saw a few of those recently. 

I received the exact same message when I inquired about my case. Hopeless. Good luck

Timeline
1 minute ago, Tikitch said:

pretty sure supplemental questions is DS5525, check the subject line of your email to confirm.

You’re right, the “supplemental questions” is usually just another name for DS-5535.

Timeline
7 hours ago, kryptonite said:

That’s absolutely insane. Waiting 2-3 weeks just to get a generic response is ridiculous. I know you’ve been on this thread and this forum for quite a while but I haven’t gone back far enough to know your story. If you don’t mind, what’s the reason your case is in AP for that long? Did you get the DS-5535 or 221g?

Yes, I got DS-5535 (221g is just the reference to the section of law under which you are being refused; indeed, this includes people like myself who are given 5535). 

As for the “reason”, well my friend, i would love to know that myself. Needless to say, I find it a travesty and extremely unjust. I am not shady in the least and have nothing to hide. I have been married to my wife over 9 years (10 in Feb!). I was born in Canada and so were my parents. I have no criminal

record or arrests. I resent very much what I have been put through, the strain on my marriage, my life and my mental health.

I filed a WOM suit in November in hopes that this would be rectified at long last. I have seen no movement to this date yet. Really, there should be ZERO need for me to file a WOM and bear this extra expense. I am now the sole surviving “O.G.” left this thread, and it is not an honour I want. But here I am.

2 hours ago, ice-qube said:

Yes, I got DS-5535 (221g is just the reference to the section of law under which you are being refused; indeed, this includes people like myself who are given 5535). 

As for the “reason”, well my friend, i would love to know that myself. Needless to say, I find it a travesty and extremely unjust. I am not shady in the least and have nothing to hide. I have been married to my wife over 9 years (10 in Feb!). I was born in Canada and so were my parents. I have no criminal

record or arrests. I resent very much what I have been put through, the strain on my marriage, my life and my mental health.

I filed a WOM suit in November in hopes that this would be rectified at long last. I have seen no movement to this date yet. Really, there should be ZERO need for me to file a WOM and bear this extra expense. I am now the sole surviving “O.G.” left this thread, and it is not an honour I want. But here I am.

I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. I couldn't even imagine being in this limbo for so long especially with 0 explanation and no history or flags under your name. 

Really really hoping that WOM starts to move along for you.

10 hours ago, Gha said:

Hi 

I have one question what the difference between DS5535 or supplement questions in mail 

Thank you 

Nothing, they are the same. Have you filled it out yet? Your interview was in October, you should have gotten the DS5535 by now. 

Edited by throwitaway

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.