Mrs. Dea

Will remarrying affect the process?

9 posts in this topic

Good Day viewers:

I was married to a US Citizen for 4 years, after joining him in the US things did not work out as the distance and wait took a toll on our relationship and many things were being discovered on my arrival. We tried to work it out but ended up getting divorce shortly after. I was granted a 10 Yr GC before. I understand I will have to wait 5 years minimum to begin the naturalization process.

1. During this 5-year wait period, if I remarry, would my new marriage have any impact on the outcome of my naturalization application and how so?

2. Or does it mean I should wait until after I naturalize to consider getting remarried ?

Thank you in advance. 

20 minutes ago, Mrs. Dea said:

Good Day viewers:

I was married to a US Citizen for 4 years, after joining him in the US things did not work out as the distance and wait took a toll on our relationship and many things were being discovered on my arrival. We tried to work it out but ended up getting divorce shortly after. I was granted a 10 Yr GC before. I understand I will have to wait 5 years minimum to begin the naturalization process.

1. During this 5-year wait period, if I remarry, would my new marriage have any impact on the outcome of my naturalization application and how so?

2. Or does it mean I should wait until after I naturalize to consider getting remarried ?

Thank you in advance. 

New marriage has no effect on the 5 year waiting period or your eligibility for naturalization under the 5 year rule.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

no effect

to get 10 year green card there was ample evidence of a real relationship and bona fida marriage

still wait 5 years and follow rules for naturalization

sorry for the divorce / it probably took a toll on u both

15 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

no effect

to get 10 year green card there was ample evidence of a real relationship and bona fida marriage

still wait 5 years and follow rules for naturalization

sorry for the divorce / it probably took a toll on u both

Thank you. "still wait 5 years and follow rules for naturalization" ...are you saying I should wait 5 years to remarry? 

24 minutes ago, Mrs. Dea said:

Thank you. "still wait 5 years and follow rules for naturalization" ...are you saying I should wait 5 years to remarry? 

24 minutes ago, Mrs. Dea said:

Thank you. "still wait 5 years and follow rules for naturalization" ...are you saying I should wait 5 years to remarry

She means that you have to wait 5 hears to file for Naturalization. You can remarry at any time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

She means that you have to wait 5 hears to file for Naturalization. You can remarry at any time

Is your soon to be your new spouse American?

Depending on when you divorced even being a green card holder you won't be able to sponsor your new spouse

6 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Is your soon to be your new spouse American?

Depending on when you divorced even being a green card holder you won't be able to sponsor your new spouse

Thank you. No I am not planning to sponsor a new spouse. Just a general question to consider in dating a citizen, if I had to consider marriage out of the question until after 5 years, but based on previous responses, this is ok.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 hours ago, Mrs. Dea said:

no 

remarry when u want

and be happy

only the naturalization now is not based on 3 year rule for the USC that sponsored your petition 

so,  u need 5 year rule to naturalize

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.