ar & rk

Health insurance planning for CR1 spouse

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

(I) actually don’t, as we are done with all things immigration related for all time.

*Sharing experience only* 

US Citizenship is listed, LPR spouse arriving is not (specifically) listed anywhere.  Appears to be subject to interpretation, which is what I experienced.

I (also) didnt see the benefit of paying premiums for nothing however as it turned out the UnitedHealthcare card was nice interview window dressing.

Yeah LPR spouse arriving is subject to interpretation on the other hand, your spouse quit/left a job or situation that led to the loss of coverage elsewhere.

Most employers make it work and don't try to give the employee a hard time.

But then again as has been mentioned several times, no need paying for coverage that will not be used because spouse is outside the country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

(I) actually don’t, as we are done with all things immigration related for all time.

*Sharing experience only* 

US Citizenship is listed, LPR spouse arriving is not (specifically) listed anywhere.  Appears to be subject to interpretation, which is what I experienced.

I (also) didnt see the benefit of paying premiums for nothing however as it turned out the UnitedHealthcare card was nice interview window dressing.

Luckily it is under moving to a new area 

under the site 

https://www.uhc.com/understanding-health-insurance/open-enrollment/qualifying-life-events

even if i move state to state i  have 30 days to change and/or add to my insurance

Luckily, moving is one of the qualifying life events that count for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP)

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. No SSN no problem.  For getting health insurance, use one of of the known retired SSNs, e.g. https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/misused.html

2. the US goverment says moving to the USA is a QLE, no need to go to dot com web sites and debate the veracity:  https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

If an employer doesn’t want to comply with ACA then get a temporary market place plan until the employer has open enrollment 

Edited by Mike E

I was able to add my husband after marriage through our company benefit changes. BCBS.  He is still abroad.  Few weeks later got letter from BCBS, asking for SS# and I replied, not yet available as he is still outside US.  No response back from BCBS, he is still listed.   We have Global coverage for BCBS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, hunny&me said:

I was able to add my husband after marriage through our company benefit changes. BCBS.  He is still abroad.  Few weeks later got letter from BCBS, asking for SS# and I replied, not yet available as he is still outside US.  No response back from BCBS, he is still listed.   We have Global coverage for BCBS.

I have BC/BS of Alabama. I added my wife as soon as we were married. I received emails about once a month asking me to revise and add her social security number. She did not get it for almost 8 months.

We had no issues in coverage or payments for anything.

I simple added it "online" as soon as she got it.

43 minutes ago, AlaMike said:

I have BC/BS of Alabama. I added my wife as soon as we were married. I received emails about once a month asking me to revise and add her social security number. She did not get it for almost 8 months.

We had no issues in coverage or payments for anything.

I simple added it "online" as soon as she got it.

thank you! I think I may be in this same boat. An ITIN cannot be issued without a return unless there are some exceptions (that do not apply to our situation). I think I will have to wait for the open season then try to add my spouse to my health plan without an SSN. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ar & rk said:

thank you! I think I may be in this same boat. An ITIN cannot be issued without a return unless there are some exceptions (that do not apply to our situation). I think I will have to wait for the open season then try to add my spouse to my health plan without an SSN. 

You can add to policy.

I have coverage thru my employer after we were married. They added as a life event (marriage). 

So no need to wait until you have ss#.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.