gearheadgeek

Your Mileage May Vary (or YMMV)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

While doing research here on AOS, it was obvious that experiences differed, but I was not prepared for our experience. Well, I guess I was over prepared.

I spent days printing photos, gathering origionals, double checking against the list on the appointment NOA, etc. Since Nadya's English is not that good yet, we took along friend as an interpreter. We arrived 10 minutes late with my stomach churning. The drive to Indy took longer than anticipated with stops for coffee, etc. I handed in the invitation letter and was told to take a seat - we would be called in a short while. "short while" turned out to be maybe 2 minutes. We were ushered in, and the agent seemed gruff and abrupt, which did not help my stomach. He started with the pledge to tell the truth and identiy checks. The interpreter and I used driver's licenses and Nadya used her passport. The agent asked Nadya a couple questions from the I-485 (was she tossed out of the country or a communist, etc) and if she had children, then what their names and ages were. He asked her for her (our) address. He asked me my name and address. He asked if we had taken a honeymoon, and I replied that we couldn't take a serious honeymoon until Nadya got her green card, but we had taken a trip to Niagra Falls. Which was true, but it wasn't intended to be a honeymoon. He spent a lot of time looking at the file. Then he chatted about my work as a software engineer, how most of the people he sees are from northern Indiana and how they should really have an office up there, and such. He pecked away on the keyboard and said Nadya was approved and would get her card in 2 to 4 weeks. He apologized for having to take the card from her passport that she received when we landed (I-74???) and said that she would soon have a green card so it would not matter. He did not stamp her passport with I-551 as the guides here suggest. He never asked for photos, any proof of relationship, any origional documents, or anything from the 1" thick packet I had assembled. I was stunned, relieved, joyous. Maybe it helped that we had brought an interpreter who was obviously a friend. Maybe it helped that Nadya and I are only 4 years apart (60 and 64) instead of me being old and her young. I really have no idea why it went so well, but my point here was how different our experience was than what I expected after reading this site. Again, YMMV.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Glad, everything went so well for you guys! :thumbs:

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Congratulations! :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Actually, your experience sounds very typical. Ours lasted about 20 minutes but that was because the officer made some copies for the file (photos). Like you I was shocked at how easy it was. In my case, I was sure something was wrong because it was so easy and quick.

Now you just need to wait the two years to remove the conditional status. Review the form I-751 for things that you need to begin doing now.

Congratulations to both of you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You know I think that the majority of interviews are very easy and simple, there are just cases when things get pretty crazy and we remember those better. I have friend who went through the interview and said it's quite overrated.

Congratulations on the approval and it's always a good thing to be prepared anyway.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
Actually, your experience sounds very typical. Ours lasted about 20 minutes but that was because the officer made some copies for the file (photos). Like you I was shocked at how easy it was. In my case, I was sure something was wrong because it was so easy and quick.

Now you just need to wait the two years to remove the conditional status. Review the form I-751 for things that you need to begin doing now.

Congratulations to both of you.

I don't think ours lasted more than 10 minutes. I was stunned. On reflection, I really think perception is the key. His job is to make sure it is not a sham marriage to circumvent immigration laws. If it looks suspicious (me 64 with a super hot 25 year old babe), you need tons of proof to convince him. If not (we are about the same age - both old), he does not need all that proof to make his decision.

Thanks for the tip re: I-751

Timeline
You know I think that the majority of interviews are very easy and simple, there are just cases when things get pretty crazy and we remember those better. I have friend who went through the interview and said it's quite overrated.

Congratulations on the approval and it's always a good thing to be prepared anyway.

LOL!!!! You know Murphy's laws - If you are prepared, you won't need it, but if not, you certainly will. Yes, I would highly recommend being prepared even though my experience was easy. All it takes is for the immigration agent to have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed, to have had a fight with his wife on the way out the door, to have gotten a traffic ticket on the way to work, etc. They are human and their mood is subject to external influence just like the rest of us.

My last traffic ticket was because I did not slow down when I passed a trooper writing someone else up. I was on the cruise and a few miles over, but he ran me down and wrote me up for 19MPH over, 1 short of losing my license. He was in a bad mood and I ticked him off, so he nailed me to the cross. Fair? No, but what are you going to do?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just wanted to add a final footnote to the saga ....

Nadya recieved her green card in the mail 13 days after the interview!!!!!

Yes, we danced around the kitchen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on getting the card! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats!

My wife and I are still waiting for her GC, thanks for the follow-up! We have no idea when to expect it, the AO said within two weeks after the interview, the welcome notice 60 days and the email 30 days.

Glad that you can celebrate now, I would too if I have the chance. I don't like my wife to worry anymore It worries me worse :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.