annab864

Any experiences with TSA PreCheck enrollment with expired Green card and extension letter?

37 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Correct, on the south boarder they use SENTRI. Same as NEXUS for the southern boarder.

Yep.  I also forgot to mention in my previous post which I can't see to be able to edit, but Nexus also acts like Global entry when entering Canada.  So that's also a nice benefit depending how often one travels to Canada.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nexus would make more sense if you plan on visiting Canada quite often and live in the Northern part of the US as interview locations are primarily located in the northern US or Canada. The fee may be cheaper but if you end up having to travel just to attend an interview then it really isn't. Also, no credit cards that I know of will reimburse you for Nexus application fees. 

So if you don't live anywhere near a Nexus interview site and don't travel to Canada a whole lot it makes more sense to stick with Global Entry. As it stands most credit cards will cover the entire $100 fee so the idea of it being more expensive than Nexus is moot. 

Edited by Alekezam

3 minutes ago, Alekezam said:

Nexus would make more sense if you plan on visiting Canada quite often and live in the Northern part of the US as interview locations are primarily located in the northern US or Canada. The fee may be cheaper but if you end up having to travel just to attend an interview then it really isn't. Also, no credit cards that I know of will reimburse you for Nexus application fees. 

So if you don't live anywhere near a Nexus interview site and don't travel to Canada a whole lot it makes more sense to stick with Global Entry. As it stands most credit cards will cover the entire $100 fee so the idea of it being more expensive than Nexus is moot. 

I agree with most of that, especially the part about traveling to a location closer to the border.

However, most credit cards will not reimburse the global entry application fee.   The list is somewhat small in fact.

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/best-credit-cards-for-global-entry-credit/

There's none I could find with no annual fee.  The cheapest one has $45 annual fee.  Although if one was already planning on getting one of these cards, or already had them, then it works great. 

58 minutes ago, Moe428 said:

I applied for TSA precheck with expired 2 year GC + extension letter 2 months ago. Initially the employees who take fingerprints etc were confused and thought it wouldn't work, then they made some calls and were told to move the expiration date 2 years forward.

I still haven't received the number yet 60 days later, although that's unrelated to having an expired GC + extension letter.  I called them and they said they are just backed up.

Yeah, I was just trying to apply for Global Entry on the website and couldn’t finish the application because my GC expired in 2019, and the automated system wants me to put in ‘2022’, ughh.. I will just go in person! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, annab864 said:

I would like to enroll in TSA PreCheck, i have an appointment scheduled with them 2 weeks from now. My GC expired and so did an extension letter, BUT I do have a stamp in my passport.

Does anyone has experience applying for TSA PreCheck with expired documents, were you given a hard time/rejection/approval? 
I am planning to bring a copy of my expired GC (USCIS took the original when they gave me the stamp), an expired extension letter and my passport with a stamp in it and i’m hoping they accept the documents!

We had the TSA Precheck appointment for my wife in late April and are STILL waiting on a status.  Since we're coming up on 60 days (they tell you to wait this long before calling) we will call and find out what's going on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Moe428 said:

I agree with most of that, especially the part about traveling to a location closer to the border.

However, most credit cards will not reimburse the global entry application fee.   The list is somewhat small in fact.

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/best-credit-cards-for-global-entry-credit/

There's none I could find with no annual fee.  The cheapest one has $45 annual fee.  Although if one was already planning on getting one of these cards, or already had them, then it works great. 

Fair enough. But even with the annual fee (assuming you get a card with an annual fee of no more than say $100) it will still end up cheaper than having to book a trip to the interview location. Also, you can't simply overlook the value of the other benefits a card might offer. It isn't like the Global Entry Fee is the only benefit that justifies the annual fee. 

Another way to get around it is by simply asking any relatives or friends if they happen to have a credit card that covers reimbursement for Global. If they haven't already used it or aren't planning on using it you can simply use their card to pay for your application. When applying for Global they don't associate payment with the applicant nor does the credit company either. In fact I did this very thing with my parents and my wife with 2 separate cards that I have. I didn't use that perk since I'm already a Global member. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Moe428 said:

I applied for TSA precheck with expired 2 year GC + extension letter 2 months ago. Initially the employees who take fingerprints etc were confused and thought it wouldn't work, then they made some calls and were told to move the expiration date 2 years forward.

I still haven't received the number yet 60 days later, although that's unrelated to having an expired GC + extension letter.  I called them and they said they are just backed up.

Moe, we are in the same boat.  That's all they said?  They are backed up?  They didn't suggest an ETA or even a WAG ETA?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling, from ROC - the Topic is traveling~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

17 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

Moe, we are in the same boat.  That's all they said?  They are backed up?  They didn't suggest an ETA or even a WAG ETA?

Yeah, they said they don't need anymore information at this point and just need someone on their side to pick up the application.  No eta either.  However, once the 60 day time hits I can start calling them.  For me, that was over the weekend so I will start calling them today or within next few days.

Edited by Moe428

15 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

We had the TSA Precheck appointment for my wife in late April and are STILL waiting on a status.  Since we're coming up on 60 days (they tell you to wait this long before calling) we will call and find out what's going on.

Looks like my travel plans for August with TSA PreCheck just shattered based on the wait time! Lol i was actually naive enough thinking it’s a quick process and i can already use the benefit this upcoming August! Oh well! Thank you for sharing!

14 minutes ago, Alekezam said:

Fair enough. But even with the annual fee (assuming you get a card with an annual fee of no more than say $100) it will still end up cheaper than having to book a trip to the interview location. Also, you can't simply overlook the value of the other benefits a card might offer. It isn't like the Global Entry Fee is the only benefit that justifies the annual fee. 

Another way to get around it is by simply asking any relatives or friends if they happen to have a credit card that covers reimbursement for Global. If they haven't already used it or aren't planning on using it you can simply use their card to pay for your application. When applying for Global they don't associate payment with the applicant nor does the credit company either. In fact I did this very thing with my parents and my wife with 2 separate cards that I have. I didn't use that perk since I'm already a Global member. 

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment.

Nexus is only worth it if you either live near one of the centers that processes Nexus (they are only in states that border Canada) or if you travel very often to Canada.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Misscloud said:

many people didnt know about it. i didnt know to until my friend told me, and then my USC husband also confirmed ( he has nexus and got GE) hes been using it a lot ( not to canada)

I was wondering about this as well.  I saw this on the cbp.gov site:

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card

It seems that NEXUS cardholders are also given GE privileges, with the exception that they need to use their Passport/GC instead of the NEXUS card when arriving to the US from places other than Canada.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, annab864 said:

Looks like my travel plans for August with TSA PreCheck just shattered based on the wait time! Lol i was actually naive enough thinking it’s a quick process and i can already use the benefit this upcoming August! Oh well! Thank you for sharing!

Anna it OUGHT to be a quick process courtesy of the world's lone superpower <insert your laughter here>.  When I did TSA Precheck first time years ago I showed up at my appointment, the woman was nice and offered me coffee.  I had my TSA Precheck number quick than a Kardashian romance.  Not so in 2022.

The same government that gives us the USCIS also gives us the TSA.  Medicare for All proponents should think about this for a moment.

50 minutes ago, Moe428 said:

i dont have credit card that reimburse global entry. i could apply a new credit card, but too much hassle

my plan is once i got my GC, i will apply for NEXUS, there's one office in ME, 3 hours from where i live, but i have electric car so its no need to pay gas LOL. husband told me i might be able to interview in certain airport, and not NEXUS interview office.

he said he did his interview in the airport, but he cant remember which airport because its been a while and he has " short term memory loss" 

i will cross the bridge when i get my GC card. 

Edited by Misscloud

My understanding is that nexus members can only use GE machines that exist in Canadian airports which have a pre-clearance system with the US. So if you're flying from let's say Paris to JFK, you wouldn't be able to use Nexus at JFK global entry. But if you were flying from a Canadian pre clearance airport to the US , you can use nexus in the GE kiosks in those airports. 

Edited by SS_SS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.