sidmando

Question about Document Qualification

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am in the process of applying for visas for both my wife and stepdaughter. A couple months ago I got an email from NVC stating that my stepdaughter's application has been DQ'd, but there was still one document on my wife's application that was rejected. I resubmitted that document and recently received another email. When I log into the site, it now shows that all of the civil documents (as well as the affidavit of support) have been accepted. However, unlike in the case of my stepdaughter, I have still not received an email from NVC stating that my wife's application has been DQ'd. There is also a message in my inbox instructing me to submit evidence of my income (which I already did on the affidavit). So I am confused about whether my wife has been DQ'd or whether there is something more I need to do. Any thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, sidmando said:

I am in the process of applying for visas for both my wife and stepdaughter. A couple months ago I got an email from NVC stating that my stepdaughter's application has been DQ'd, but there was still one document on my wife's application that was rejected. I resubmitted that document and recently received another email. When I log into the site, it now shows that all of the civil documents (as well as the affidavit of support) have been accepted. However, unlike in the case of my stepdaughter, I have still not received an email from NVC stating that my wife's application has been DQ'd. There is also a message in my inbox instructing me to submit evidence of my income (which I already did on the affidavit). So I am confused about whether my wife has been DQ'd or whether there is something more I need to do. Any thoughts?

Evidence of income is pay stubs , bank deposits and Employment letters. Not the I-864.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

6 hours ago, sidmando said:

So I am confused about whether my wife has been DQ'd or whether there is something more I need to do.

Your wife's case is only DQed when you receive the email and/or CEAC inbox message that explicitly states that particular case is "Documentarily Qualified".  Without that email, it means there is some action pending on your part.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

Evidence of income is pay stubs , bank deposits and Employment letters. Not the I-864.

Agreed, but change the and to or.  Evidence of current income only comes from a tax return if you are self employed.  If you are employed, current income evidence is the following, in order of effectiveness.  1 of the 3 is enough.

1. One recent pay stub for a full pay period

2.  An employer letter from HR on Letterhead and signed, stating your income.

3. If you can get neither, then use a few recent bank statement showing the deposits from your employer.  (RARE)

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the NVC forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
On 6/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, pushbrk said:

Agreed, but change the and to or.  Evidence of current income only comes from a tax return if you are self employed.  If you are employed, current income evidence is the following, in order of effectiveness.  1 of the 3 is enough.

1. One recent pay stub for a full pay period

2.  An employer letter from HR on Letterhead and signed, stating your income.

3. If you can get neither, then use a few recent bank statement showing the deposits from your employer.  (RARE)

Thanks for the information. Here's the problem. I am self-employed and virtually all of my income for the past 3 years (during which I have been living abroad and living off of savings and passive income) is from two rental properties I own, but there are no 1099s to document this.

I have also already submitted documentation demonstrating that I have cash savings well in excess of 5 times the difference between my income and the required minimum income. Yet in spite of having already provided all of this information, NVC is still asking me to document my income. But there is no further documentation available, and this one issue is preventing our application from being DQ'd.

Also, in the event that my financial situation is deemed inadequate, my mother is prepared to co-sponsor the application, but we would obviously prefer not to do that unless it is necessary. So our hope is that we can get DQ'd and go into the interview with all of my individual financial information and see if they deem my financial situation as adequate. But we can't even get to that point unless we get DQ'd and move forward with the interview.

Any advice on how to get past this hurdle?

Timeline

Generally, a tax return showing a positive taxable income on the "total income" line is all the evidence of current income you would need.  What EXACTLY does the notice say about submitting evidence of your income?

Note that many landlords have a NEGATIVE number in the total income line of their 1040.  Do you?  If so, you need to provide evidence of more liquid assets.  For example, with a 30k income requirement and a minus 10k total income, you would need 5X 40k in liquid assets, not 5X 30K.  Note that for the spouse of a US Citizen, the multiplier is actually 3X not 5X, but you need to be well over.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Generally, a tax return showing a positive taxable income on the "total income" line is all the evidence of current income you would need.  What EXACTLY does the notice say about submitting evidence of your income?

Note that many landlords have a NEGATIVE number in the total income line of their 1040.  Do you?  If so, you need to provide evidence of more liquid assets.  For example, with a 30k income requirement and a minus 10k total income, you would need 5X 40k in liquid assets, not 5X 30K.  Note that for the spouse of a US Citizen, the multiplier is actually 3X not 5X, but you need to be well over.

My income is positive, just not high enough to meet the minimum requirement for a family of four. But I have liquid savings well in excess of 5x the difference (and I also own two residences with no mortgages).

The message from NVC is as follows:

Please submit Joshua's Evidence of Income. For more information, visit https://nvc.state.gov/fin.

I also got this message from them previously:

This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

15 minutes ago, sidmando said:

My income is positive, just not high enough to meet the minimum requirement for a family of four. But I have liquid savings well in excess of 5x the difference (and I also own two residences with no mortgages).

The message from NVC is as follows:

Please submit Joshua's Evidence of Income. For more information, visit https://nvc.state.gov/fin.

I also got this message from them previously:

This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

Your stepdaughter's case was DQ'ed without the additional "evidence of income" proof, correct?

I would write and sign a statement explaining your source of income. Where are the rental properties? In the US or in another country? I would include bank statements showing the monthly transfers... Maybe that will get you DQ'ed. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Your stepdaughter's case was DQ'ed without the additional "evidence of income" proof, correct?

I would write and sign a statement explaining your source of income. Where are the rental properties? In the US or in another country? I would include bank statements showing the monthly transfers... Maybe that will get you DQ'ed. 

Yes, my stepdaughter's application was DQ'd with the same financial/tax info. The rental properties are in the US.

Cool, I'll write a statement with additional explanation & bank statements. Thanks!

1 minute ago, sidmando said:

Yes, my stepdaughter's application was DQ'd with the same financial/tax info. The rental properties are in the US.

Cool, I'll write a statement with additional explanation & bank statements. Thanks!

As my husband (the USC) currently lives overseas we uploaded quite a few statements explaining why he didn't have certain documents 😅

Thankfully we were DQ'ed after our first submission. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, sidmando said:

If it were me, I'd call them.

Again, the income number NVC and Consulates care about is the one called "Total Income".  If you submitted a tax return transcript or a complete return with all schedules, they are in error to request additional evidence of income.  You fix that most quickly and effectively with a phone call, particularly when you have one case qualified and another not.  If your stated and documented self employment income is correctly handled, you should NOT have gotten any message that the income doesn't meet the requirements.  I'm confused about that, so asking again if you stated your current income as the number called "total income" which is far different than total revenue.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

If it were me, I'd call them.- Phone lines are closed:

Important Notice Effective May 23, 2022

To address critical backlogs, the National Visa Center has suspended our public inquiry telephone line.  We apologize for any inconvenience.  The suspension of public inquiry telephone lines will not impede any essential functions of the National Visa Center and individuals will still be able to contact us using the methods identified below and find information regarding common IV and NIV inquiries on our Helpful Hints pages.

Again, the income number NVC and Consulates care about is the one called "Total Income".  If you submitted a tax return transcript or a complete return with all schedules, they are in error to request additional evidence of income.  You fix that most quickly and effectively with a phone call, particularly when you have one case qualified and another not.  If your stated and documented self employment income is correctly handled, you should NOT have gotten any message that the income doesn't meet the requirements.  I'm confused about that, so asking again if you stated your current income as the number called "total income" which is far different than total revenue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.