ClemsonC

Petitioner divorce decree or certificate?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, 

is a divorce order/decree ok to submit to nvc? Or does it have to be a certificate? 

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Certificate 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes Sir...I understand. Petitioner needs the certificate 

You can pay for it online via that Vital records thing...

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, ClemsonC said:

Hi all, 

is a divorce order/decree ok to submit to nvc? Or does it have to be a certificate? 

Quoted from the Dept. of State website:  If you were previously married, you must obtain evidence of the termination of EVERY prior marriage you have had. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy of one of the following documents: FINAL legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

Either a divorce decree or divorce certificate is fine as evidence of legally terminating a prior marriage.  In the US, the county clerk or court clerk where the divorce was granted issues a divorce decree, and this is what most people use since they receive an official, original copy after the divorce, or you can request a certified copy later from the same county or court clerk's office.  Some US states can also provide a divorce certificate through the state's vital records office, but you have to request it, pay a fee, and wait for it to arrive.  Whatever document you provide needs to have an official seal and signature from the issuing authority, whether county/court clerk (divorce decree) or state vital records office (divorce certificate).  From the wording of your question, I assume that the USC petitioner already submitted a photocopy of the official divorce decree (all pages) with the I-130 petition, as evidence of legally terminating any prior marriage was required at that stage of the spousal visa process.  The I-130 petition was approved with that evidence, and your case is now at the NVC, so just upload a scanned version of the same divorce document that was sent with the I-130.  The beneficiary should take the same original, official divorce document that was sent as a photocopy with the I-130 and uploaded at the NVC stage to the spousal visa interview in Montreal in case they ask to see it.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Quoted from the Dept. of State website:  If you were previously married, you must obtain evidence of the termination of EVERY prior marriage you have had. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy of one of the following documents: FINAL legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

Either a divorce decree or divorce certificate is fine as evidence of legally terminating a prior marriage.  In the US, the county clerk or court clerk where the divorce was granted issues a divorce decree, and this is what most people use since they receive an official,  original copy after the divorce, or you can request a certified copy later from the same county or court clerk's office.  Some US states can also provide a divorce certificate through the state's vital records office, but you have to request it, pay a fee, and wait for it to arrive.  Whatever document you provide needs to have an official seal and signature from the issuing authority, whether county/court clerk (divorce decree) or state vital records office (divorce certificate).  From the wording of your question, I assume that the USC petitioner already submitted a photocopy of the official divorce decree (all pages) with the I-130 petition, as evidence of legally terminating any prior marriage was required at that stage of the spousal visa process.  The I-130 petition was approved with that evidence, and your case is now at the NVC, so just upload the same divorce document that was sent with the I-130.  The beneficiary should take the same original, official divorce document that was sent as a photocopy with the I-130 and uploaded at the NVC stage to the spousal visa interview in Montreal in case they ask to see it.  Good luck!

Thank you so much! Yes, we submitted the 4 page decree with the i130, and I uploaded it to nvc back with my documents on April 12. I was just worried as I saw someone at the consulate get held back their visa until they got the actual certificate come in. And started to panic a bit since were so close to the review time for DQ!

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Either a divorce decree or divorce certificate is fine as evidence of legally terminating a prior marriage.  In the US, the county clerk or court clerk where the divorce was granted issues a divorce decree, and this is what most people use since they receive an official, original copy after the divorce, or you can request a certified copy later from the same county or court clerk's office.  Some US states can also provide a divorce certificate through the state's vital records office, but you have to request it, pay a fee, and wait for it to arrive.  Whatever document you provide needs to have an official seal and signature from the issuing authority, whether county/court clerk (divorce decree) or state vital records office (divorce certificate).  From the wording of your question, I assume that the USC petitioner already submitted a photocopy of the official divorce decree (all pages) with the I-130 petition, as evidence of legally terminating any prior marriage was required at that stage of the spousal visa process.  The I-130 petition was approved with that evidence, and your case is now at the NVC, so just upload a scanned version of the same divorce document that was sent with the I-130.  The beneficiary should take the same original, official divorce document that was sent as a photocopy with the I-130 and uploaded at the NVC stage to the spousal visa interview in Montreal in case they ask to see it.  Good luck!

Hi! Is this also relevant for the US citizen petitioner? I previously understood that the embassy only requires these if the beneficiary was ever married previously.

It needs to be a certified copy, but not a "certificate".   I imagine it varies from state to state but for California it was just a photocopy of the divorce decree/ judgement, stamp and signed as a certified true copy by the court clerk.  As far as I know there is not even any such thing as a "divorce certificate" in California. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 hours ago, Redrobot said:

Hi! Is this also relevant for the US citizen petitioner? I previously understood that the embassy only requires these if the beneficiary was ever married previously.

Proof of legal termination of any prior marriage is required for both the petitioner and beneficiary, if filing for a fiancé or spousal visa.  My response to the original poster's question was for the USA, for the American petitioner's divorce document.  Check the Dept. of State website for what civil documents each US embassy/consulate will accept from foreign countries.

2 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Proof of legal termination of any prior marriage is required for both the petitioner and beneficiary, if filing for a fiancé or spousal visa.  My response to the original poster's question was for the USA, for the American petitioner's divorce document.  Check the Dept. of State website for what civil documents each US embassy/consulate will accept from foreign countries.

Same situation for us, then, as my US citizen husband is the one with the prior marriage. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.