Catseal

N400 Employment history: How to report fill-in mini-jobs?

9 posts in this topic

Hi Visajourney Community

Getting ready to file my N-400 online (while still waiting on the ROC interview to be scheduled...) and have a question regarding employment history.

What is the correct way to report "mini" jobs where one filled-in for regular staff members for a few selected days on an as-needed basis?

As in, I was helping out and got paid and reported this on my taxes and all, but wasn't working there full or even part time in any regular capacity. Only some odd days few and far between.

Since the online form only allows for start and end date without the option to comment, my guess is putting in first and last day worked is the only option. I just am wary how that could come off as wrongfully implying I worked consistently for the employer during that time (the days are months apart), which is not the case and I don't want USCIS to think that. The self employment category is not applicable here, either.

Has anyone perhaps had a similar situation? Is it not a big deal and I will be able to simply clarify at the interview stage?

Probably overthinking this, but I am a bit unsure what the right approach is and would appreciate your thoughts. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Catseal

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Does the online form allow you to enter two jobs with overlapping periods of employment?

Hi Mike, it does but I am not sure how this relates to the question?

Were you affiliated with a temp agency?  That was my situation, and that’s how I reported it as far as I remember.  I believe there is a section at the end of the form that might allow comments, so if worse comes to worst, that’s what I would do.  

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

10 minutes ago, CMJuilland said:

Were you affiliated with a temp agency?  That was my situation, and that’s how I reported it as far as I remember.  I believe there is a section at the end of the form that might allow comments, so if worse comes to worst, that’s what I would do.  

Hi, thanks for your input! Unfortunately that wasn't my situation, no temp agency involved, just me helping out. I didn't see a section for comments on the online form or the paper one, although I would have expected that too, similar to the previous USCIS forms - I am surprised they did away with this useful feature in the N400.

Edited by Catseal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, Catseal said:

Hi Mike, it does but I am not sure how this relates to the question?

I would note first and last dates you worked at each of these employers and indicate in the job role “substitute worker”.  Then explain. At interview that you were like substitute teacher in a public school … you filled in when staff was short due to sickness or other reasons.   

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

I would note first and last dates you worked at each of these employers and indicate in the job role “substitute worker”.  Then explain. At interview that you were like substitute teacher in a public school … you filled in when staff was short due to sickness or other reasons.   

Thank you for your clarification Mike and also @Adventine and Bob for your inputs!

Unfortunately, the online form does not allow for a self indicated job role, it only allows the job descriptions USCIS has set for that tab, although I agree this would be the best approach if there were such an option (I expected there to be an option to just type it in freehand too, but alas, no).

For anyone curious, I briefly tried the descriptor "Occupation not reported/unknown/invalid" in the hope it would prompt a comment box for further explanation, but it doesn't either, unfortunately (I would not choose that option by itself, as the general field for "education" is available and I expect choosing this answer by itself would for sure raise red flags which is the exact opposite of what I want). 

It does sound like the consensus is that there will be room to explain/clarify at the interview though. Keeping that in mind, I think I'll go ahead with first and last day worked and assume it won't be a detrimental issue, it seems at least it shouldn't be, as long as I explain it further at the interview.

(That said, I am aware I could redo the whole application by hand and file via mail as that would at least allow for a self indicated job role with the word "substitute" in it, but I strongly prefer to file online after reading through some threads and decided it is not worth agonizing about it - just for anyone in the same position, know there is a way to circumvent this issue altogether, if you want, by self indicating your job role on the paper form :) ).

Edited by Catseal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.