Denis74

Questions about I-130 and I-130A

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello all, 

We are two newly weds living in France (one French and one Half American...i .e. me) and we have a few questions about the form I-130.

Here we go :

1. In the section "about you" and address history, we are wondering what end date to put as we are currently living at that address. It's mandatory to insert a date but we are still living there. 

2. In "Your beneficiary" and "beneficiary addresses" : we don't know yet where we will be living in the States so what address can we write ? Can it be left blank ?

3. My husband will have is passport remade and we are wondering i the passport number can be changed after we submit the form. 

4. In the "evidence" and "proof of US Citizenship" section : is only one document enough or do we need to add more ?

5. In the "evidence" and "proof of marriage" : do I need to have my marriage certificate translated professionnally or can I do it myself as I speak both languages? 

In the form I-130A

1. In the "information about parents" section : my husband has no contact with his father and doesn't know where he lives. What can we write in the sections 22 and 23 (city and country of residence)? 

2. In the sections about employment history : we don't have enough space to add all five years of information. How do we provide that extra information on the "additional information" page at the end ? Under what form ?

For now, we added information for the past 3 years (2019 and on), is that enough or do we really need to provide the full 5 years ?

Thank you very much !

Annie and Denis

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just did the online form as well, I encountered some similar questions/thoughts myself and here is what I understand after combing through the forums here as well as the I-130 instructions... Take it with a grain of salt as I'm not a professional, but I felt confident enough to put in my application.

1. About you/current address - I just updated this to the current date right when I submit the form

2. Dunno, sorry

3. From what I have read, yes. I submit the form with my wife using my last name, even though her passport and ID still need to be updated, as in the US a marriage license is a legal name change document. The determining factor on what name goes onto the green card from my understanding, is the passport you take to the final interview (and ideally the one you will use to fill out the DS-260 form at NVC.)

4. Technically, one document is enough. Since I had two, I uploaded two, it won't hurt. 

5. I didn't have to get anything translated though I did research that, and I think it would be much better to have it professionally translated... See this form: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/checklists/I-130_Petition_Checklist.pdf 

I-130A: 

1. Yes, you can write "Unknown", and then in the "Additional Information" section just write a sentence or two describing the situation.

2. Additional information goes under Part 7, Additional Information (the last page of the I-130a PDF.) Or, if you read the fine print a the top of that page, you can add a separate sheet of paper as long as you include your name and A-Number if applicable, as well as the reference to original Page/Part/Item number.

Edit: if they ask for the last five years, provide the last five years. My wife had a gap of employment, and we wrote a statement explaining why.

Edited by Simplytex

Timeline
10 hours ago, Misscloud said:

hi, do you download i-130 instruction on uscis website? they are very detail and informative

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf

Hi and thank you for your answer !

Of course we did, but we want to make sure that everything has been understood correctly by the two of us as we don't want to get a RFE.

10 hours ago, Simplytex said:

I just did the online form as well, I encountered some similar questions/thoughts myself and here is what I understand after combing through the forums here as well as the I-130 instructions... Take it with a grain of salt as I'm not a professional, but I felt confident enough to put in my application.

1. About you/current address - I just updated this to the current date right when I submit the form

2. Dunno, sorry

3. From what I have read, yes. I submit the form with my wife using my last name, even though her passport and ID still need to be updated, as in the US a marriage license is a legal name change document. The determining factor on what name goes onto the green card from my understanding, is the passport you take to the final interview (and ideally the one you will use to fill out the DS-260 form at NVC.)

4. Technically, one document is enough. Since I had two, I uploaded two, it won't hurt. 

5. I didn't have to get anything translated though I did research that, and I think it would be much better to have it professionally translated... See this form: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/checklists/I-130_Petition_Checklist.pdf 

I-130A: 

1. Yes, you can write "Unknown", and then in the "Additional Information" section just write a sentence or two describing the situation.

2. Additional information goes under Part 7, Additional Information (the last page of the I-130a PDF.) Or, if you read the fine print a the top of that page, you can add a separate sheet of paper as long as you include your name and A-Number if applicable, as well as the reference to original Page/Part/Item number.

Edit: if they ask for the last five years, provide the last five years. My wife had a gap of employment, and we wrote a statement explaining why.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answers ! 

For the numbers 1/3 and 4 this is what wanted to do !

For the number 2, maybe can we do the same as for the I-130A, type "UNKNOWN" and just explain that we are both living in France for now and we do not have any address yet ? Or maybe just write a member's family address (Even if we will not be living at this address)

For the number 5, after research, lot of people did translate their own documents without any problems, so we'll maybe do that, but thank you again for your time !

Also, we will provide evidences of or bona fide marriage as health insurance, lease and bank account with both names on it. Everything will be in French, do we have to get them translated or it is not necessary ?

Another question, because this is not very clear. For the 2 passport photos, as we're both living in France, do we have to Scan them and joint them as a pdf of this is not needed yet ?

Thank you again everyone for your time !

7 hours ago, Denis74 said:

Everything will be in French, do we have to get them translated or it is not necessary ?

Every document you submit to USCIS must be in English or must come with a certified English translation.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Every document you submit to USCIS must be in English or must come with a certified English translation.

Hello, thank you so much for your answer. As we have lived together since 2019, do we need to send more proof (bank statments etc - translated of course) ?  Or is the certificate of marriage enough ?

Thanks again

1 minute ago, Denis74 said:

As we have lived together since 2019, do we need to send more proof (bank statments etc - translated of course) ?  Or is the certificate of marriage enough ?

While your petition may be approved with just your marriage certificate as evidence, I strongly recommend you submit additional evidence of bona fide marriage to reduce the chance of getting RFE.  You already have lots of strong evidence anyway since you live together.  No need to go overboard with the number of documents too.  Around 10 pages will be fine.  Prioritize evidence of you living together, like lease documents and insurance/bank statements showing same address.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

While your petition may be approved with just your marriage certificate as evidence, I strongly recommend you submit additional evidence of bona fide marriage to reduce the chance of getting RFE.  You already have lots of strong evidence anyway since you live together.  No need to go overboard with the number of documents too.  Around 10 pages will be fine.  Prioritize evidence of you living together, like lease documents and insurance/bank statements showing same address.

Thank you ! If we submit bank statements, do we have to translate it ? Seems nothing can be translated

We don't think we will submit our lease because there is more than 7 pages ... 

Maybe just the marriage certificate, few bank statements and utility bills

Capture banque.JPG

3 minutes ago, Denis74 said:

If we submit bank statements, do we have to translate it ? Seems nothing can be translated

We don't think we will submit our lease because there is more than 7 pages ... 

Yes, you have to translate all the French words in the bank statements, except maybe the bank/place/people names.  No need to include the entire statement.  Just screenshot the top half until maybe the first transaction.  The important part is showing that you have an account in both your names and that you share an address.

I strongly recommend including your lease document.  It is strong evidence of living together.  Again, no need to include the entire document.  Just the part that shows that it is a lease document with both your names and your shared address.  USCIS will not care about all the terms of your lease, except the dates.  You may label the evidence as something like, "Excerpt of lease agreement from xx 2019 to xx 2020, in both <Petitioner> and <Beneficiary>'s names".

Timeline
12 hours ago, Chancy said:

Yes, you have to translate all the French words in the bank statements, except maybe the bank/place/people names.  No need to include the entire statement.  Just screenshot the top half until maybe the first transaction.  The important part is showing that you have an account in both your names and that you share an address.

I strongly recommend including your lease document.  It is strong evidence of living together.  Again, no need to include the entire document.  Just the part that shows that it is a lease document with both your names and your shared address.  USCIS will not care about all the terms of your lease, except the dates.  You may label the evidence as something like, "Excerpt of lease agreement from xx 2019 to xx 2020, in both <Petitioner> and <Beneficiary>'s names".

Thank you, it is very helpfull, then we will do exactly what you suggested ! 

Again, can I ask you, as we are both living in France, we do not have an address in the US, what can we write for this question :

In "Your beneficiary" and "beneficiary addresses" : Where in the United States does the beneficiary intend to live? 

Can it be left blank ?

Denis

9 hours ago, Denis74 said:

Again, can I ask you, as we are both living in France, we do not have an address in the US, what can we write for this question :

In "Your beneficiary" and "beneficiary addresses" : Where in the United States does the beneficiary intend to live? 

Can it be left blank ?

If you really have no place in mind yet, enter something like "To be determined".  If you have a state in mind at least, it could be something like "Planning to move to Louisiana".

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Chancy said:

If you really have no place in mind yet, enter something like "To be determined".  If you have a state in mind at least, it could be something like "Planning to move to Louisiana".

Thank you very much ! 

I think we have everything that we needed and probably submit the petition very soon !

We will then update our VJ timeline !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.