YouToo1

First weeks after 1st entry in the US

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am wondering about the following, once we first enter in the US as a permanent resident:

• I assume it takes a couple of weeks to receive the green card. In that case, is is possible to leave the US and come back, if the green card is not yet receive before leaving? Would it be possible to re-enter with passport and immigrant visa or could it be difficult?
  • About the social security number:
  1. My employer will issue a US contact for me; would it be possible to work in the US as soon as I enter as a permanent resident even if the SSN isn't received yet? Or do we have to wait for it (I assume it will be mailed)?
  2. How can we make sure we've requested a SSN to be issued? Is it at the POE? or was it in the DS260?

Thank you very much :)

You can work as soon as you go through PoE - stamped visa turns into 1-yr green card (read the whole info in comments of visa - serves as I-551).  You should be getting your green card within 2-3 months, just don’t forget to pay for it prior or after your move to the US. 

if you’ve asked for SSN on ds-260 it should be sent to you after you activate your visa but I’d still go with a completed application a week or so after arrival. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I did exactly that. I entered the US for a week and left, returned almost 5 months later. My green-card was mailed to my US address and someone mailed it to me in my home country via DHL. I had my green-card at my second entry, no questions asked. If you enter in June, and leave just try and return before the 6th month after exiting (count from date of exit). When you return try and stay in the US a couple of months after that.

I worked immediately upon entry. All you need to show is the stamp. I received my SSN exactly 2 weeks after entry.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:45 PM, YouToo1 said:

Thank you :)

Concerning the minimum stay in the US of at least 6 months per year, how is this counted?

Is this per calendar year, or every 365 days after first entry? (for example, if the first entry is after June 30..)

Thank you very much!

Edited by Kenyan Couple

On 4/25/2022 at 5:45 PM, YouToo1 said:

Thank you :)

Concerning the minimum stay in the US of at least 6 months per year, how is this counted?

Is this per calendar year, or every 365 days after first entry? (for example, if the first entry is after June 30..)

Thank you very much!

Familiarize yourself with the concepts of continuous residence and abandoning residence  - this is  crucial for a green card holder. What you need to keep your green card and what you need to naturalize are not exactly the same thing, and you want to be mindful of both.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-d-chapter-3
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/maintaining-permanent-residence (see especially the section on abandoning permanent residence on this page)

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.