Michael2017

Selling House in Europe

13 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello,

I have a difficult tax question and hope someone knows the answer here:)

1. I got a house gifted in Austria from my parents in 2013.

2. I got my green card in 2019 and became PR during that tax year.

3. I am now selling the house in 2022. 

4. The tax treaty between Austria and USA says that taxes for real property sales need to be taxed in the country of the property.

5. Based on other similar threads on VJ, I assume that If capital gain tax is calculated in USA, it is on the profit calculated based on the house worth on the day of my immigration (2019)

and the difference to the sales price. 

Now my questions:

a) Is there a link to IRS that says the basis of the house is the worth of the date of immigrating? I could not find anything like that to be honest in writing although it has been mentioned as a rule on VJ.

b) Do I still need to pay capital gain tax in USA if the double tax treaty says that taxation is made in the other country? I assume in that case I can deduct the tax paid abroad but the double tax treaty should

actually prevent paying taxes in 2 countries.

c) I do not know the exact worth of the house in 2019. Is it ok to estimate as follows: house sales price 2022 - average price increase of similar properties in Austria for 2021,2020,2019? I would check how much similar properties appreciated in that period of time and estimate the worth based on that? 

Thanks for the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Michael2017 said:

a) Is there a link to IRS that says the basis of the house is the worth of the date of immigrating? I could not find anything like that to be honest in writing although it has been mentioned as a rule on VJ.

Did you read Publication 551 Basis of Assets https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p551.pdf

Page 9 says

Property Received as a Gift
To figure the basis of property you receive as a gift, you must know its adjusted basis (defined earlier) to the donor just before it was given to you, its FMV at the time it was given to you, and any gift tax paid on it.

Just based on that, I would think an asset is an asset and you acquired it in 2013 so would use the FMV on the day you received it.  I am not familiar with what others have said on VJ, but like you, I want a source because some people say off the wall things that aren’t accurate. 

b) Do I still need to pay capital gain tax in USA if the double tax treaty says that taxation is made in the other country? I assume in that case I can deduct the tax paid abroad but the double tax treaty should

actually prevent paying taxes in 2 countries.

I wonder the same thing. If you are allowed to use a treaty benefit and it is not taxable by the US, do you have to report the gain?  I suppose it is worldwide income. How does the IRS even know the gain when it happened in another country and they got no official notification? Yeah, I’m no help. 😂 

c) I do not know the exact worth of the house in 2019. Is it ok to estimate as follows: house sales price 2022 - average price increase of similar properties in Austria for 2021,2020,2019? I would check how much similar properties appreciated in that period of time and estimate the worth based on that? 

Sometimes you do have to estimate and save your comps in you records if you ever have to explain. However, I’m still of the notion that you use the value from 2013 based on Pub 551. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Sometimes you do have to estimate and save your comps in you records if you ever have to explain. However, I’m still of the notion that you use the value from 2013 based on Pub 551. 

This exactly what my CPA instructed me to do last year when I sold a house which was gifted to me in 2011.  I estimated the FMV at the time the gift was made.  She said that estimating was fine as long as we explained that we were using an estimate.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

"I wonder the same thing. If you are allowed to use a treaty benefit and it is not taxable by the US, do you have to report the gain?  I suppose it is worldwide income. How does the IRS even know the gain when it happened in another country and they got no official notification? Yeah, I’m no help. 😂 "

Well the money will go into a bank account and this means the foreign bank will report it to IRS automatically. I will have to file FBAR/FATCA. So IRS will know about a large amount of money that hit my accounts in any case.

"This exactly what my CPA instructed me to do last year when I sold a house which was gifted to me in 2011.  I estimated the FMV at the time the gift was made.  She said that estimating was fine as long as we explained that we were using an estimate."

Was this property overseas in a tax treaty country? Also the main question is if the date of becoming a LPR is the data that counts or the date it was gifted. Also with the EUR so low now there actually is a currency loss thus the capital gains in USD will not be as high as in EUR.

My previous tax returns for 2019, 2020 all cost $5k so I really hoped I could figure this out without a specialized expat CPA that charges crazy amount of money.

Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Michael2017

Timeline

https://hodgen.com/property-you-acquired-before-coming-to-the-usa/

I now found this one which seems to clearly state that 2013 will be the date. 

Now the only question is, does the treaty prevail, e.g. tax paid in Austria is the only tax and US tax does not apply because this is what

the treaty actually specifies? 

Capital Gains 1. Gains derived by a resident of a Contracting State from the alienation of real property situated in the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State.

Timeline

https://hodgen.com/property-you-acquired-before-coming-to-the-usa/

I now found this one which seems to clearly state that 2013 will be the date. 

Now the only question is, does the treaty prevail, e.g. tax paid in Austria is the only tax and US tax does not apply because this is what

the treaty actually specifies? 

Capital Gains 1. Gains derived by a resident of a Contracting State from the alienation of real property situated in the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State.

So how much is your capital gain since 2013?

How  much tax did you pay to Austria?

Timeline

In Austria the tax is 4.2% of the sales price = $10,500. The capital gain on $100k (reasonable assumption since 2013 based on Austrian price indices ) would be 23.9% = $23,900 (yes I am in a terrible tax bracket for this one). Now the question is if the double tax treaty would do it and the tax paid in Austria is final or if US capital gain of 23,900 - $10,500 = $13,400 needs to be paid or not.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Michael2017 said:

In Austria the tax is 4.2% of the sales price = $10,500. The capital gain on $100k (reasonable assumption since 2013 based on Austrian price indices ) would be 23.9% = $23,900 (yes I am in a terrible tax bracket for this one). Now the question is if the double tax treaty would do it and the tax paid in Austria is final or if US capital gain of 23,900 - $10,500 = $13,400 needs to be paid or not.

Isn’t there a capital gain tax in Austria….based on the gain, not the sales price.

https://www.taxes.at/the_austrian_tax_system/index_eng.html#tax_system_income_tax_on_non-residents
Capital gains tax

a) Capital gains of the sale of non-business property are tax-free if the property has been held for at least one year.

b) Capital gains from the sale of new properties or real estate acquired as of 31 March 2002 and later will be taxed at the flat rate of 30%. In certain cases real estate properties acquired as of 31 March 1997 and later are also treated as new assets. The tax assessment base will be the profit, calculated as the sales price minus acquisition costs. 

You should be paying 15% max to the US on a long term gain. It’s not your income bracket. 

2021 Long-Term Capital Gains Tax Rates
Tax Rate 0% 15%
Single Up to $40,400 $40,401 to $445,850
Head of household Up to $54,100 $54,101 to $473,750
Married filing jointly Up to $80,800 $80,801 to $501,600
Married filing separately Up to $40,400 $40,401 to $250,800

So if you claim the gain, the foreign taxes paid could be claimed as a credit. You can also reduce the gain by various things like agent fees. Legal fees, improvements you paid for, etc.  You’d have to read about that in detail in Pub 551. 

Timeline

No it is 23,9%, I paid it already the past years. It is 20% plus 3.8% additional penalty to fund Obamacare. It is not about the amount of your capital gain it is about your total taxable income. So if you are in the 37% bracket your long term capital gains are also 23,8%. At least since I am in the USA always my capital gain tax was 23.8% and there was even some additional Investment Income Penalty. I can´t speak for others but my CPA`s always got my taxes for Capital Gains on that. Yes, Improvements etc. could be deducted but I did not do much. Thanks for your efforts in looking into this too.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/capital-gains-tax-rates Here is the calculator that actually does ask for the taxable income as a basis of the capital gain bracket. The 3.8% (not 3.9% sorry) is another law that was added to fund Obamacare for higher earners.https://www.irs.gov/individuals/net-investment-income-tax

Edited by Michael2017

Timeline

This calculator adds the 3.8% already making capital gain taxes 23.80%

https://smartasset.com/investing/capital-gains-tax-calculator#run1hHa0kl

our Capital Gains Taxes
Tax Type Marginal Tax Rate Effective Tax Rate Tax Amount
Federal 23.80% 23.80% $23,800
State 0.00% 0.00% $0
Local 0.00% 0.00% $0
Total Capital Gains Taxes   $23,800

However, I read the treaty over and over again and also the explanation to it. It seems 99% sure that there is no tax in the USA on property sales in Austria as the double taxation treaty overrules every local rule and the treaty clearly says real property sales are taxed in the country it is located in. 

Edited by Michael2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.