ZRomper

IR1/IR3 case got approved in a letter from DHS. But no status update for a month now?!? (merged)

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I filed I130s for my wife and my adopted daughter back in June 2021. I've filed an expedite request on January 26th of this year. 
After about a month and a half, on March 13th I got an official response from the DHS Potomac office in my email. Listing all the case information, at the end of the letter it said the following:

We are unable to expedite your case at this time as our service records indicate that we recently approved your Form I-130 and mailed an approval notice to the address of record.

And below information that I should be checking my case status online, etc.

It is now April 11th, the case status online did not change for my wife's nor my daughter's cases from Actively Reviewed.

I have called USCIS. I was told by the agent that the case doesn't appear as approved in their records, however they do see the official response sent by the DHS quoted above. 

The agent told me that neither he nor Tier 2 agents have such detailed information as what DHS agents who reviewed the case have access to and that I should basically continue to wait.

This is unnerving as I have no idea as to what's actually going on with the cases. I have received no official approval notice neither online nor physically. The cases are basically stuck in limbo?

As it stands now, I have no way to find out the status of the case nor expedite it as it's "approved" yet there's no way to confirm this and no way to get in contact with someone who can?

Looks like the only option at this point is contacting the ombudsman, but I'm not sure how effective this actually is.

Has anyone ever gotten a letter like this and how long it actually takes to get an approval notice currently?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Honestly, it sounds like your case has not yet been approved. Sounds like the email was a mistake. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Honestly, it sounds like your case has not yet been approved. Sounds like the email was a mistake. 

But then I can file an expedite based on a USCIS processing error.

Also, the email mentions all the details of the case, quotes the IOE number, status, etc.
Besides they mentioned that the email response from DHS is in their computer records....

Edited by ZRomper

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ZRomper said:

But then I can file an expedite based on a USCIS processing error.

What was the processing error?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

From USCIS regarding Potomac I-130 processing:

image.thumb.png.8bce5d8071bdaaf56b11c35ca29a5c9f.png

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

From USCIS regarding Potomac I-130 processing:

image.thumb.png.8bce5d8071bdaaf56b11c35ca29a5c9f.png

Oh yes, aware of the timing.

That's why I filed an expedite request based on a humanitarian reason and it was accepted.

Above you mentioned that the email might be a mistake. But then they processed the expedite request incorrectly and gave me the wrong response, thus it would be an error in expedite processing on their side.

Edited by ZRomper

Timeline
36 minutes ago, ZRomper said:

Oh yes, aware of the timing.

That's why I filed an expedite request based on a humanitarian reason and it was accepted.

Above you mentioned that the email might be a mistake. But then they processed the expedite request incorrectly and gave me the wrong response, thus it would be an error in expedite processing on their side.

It seems to me that your I-130 is well within normal processing time.  I don't see the error.   Good luck.  I hope you receive good news soon.  

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

It seems to me that your I-130 is well within normal processing time.  I don't see the error.   Good luck.  I hope you receive good news soon.  

Thank you!

No question about the processing time of the I-130, the issue is with how they handled the expedite request and the information they provided regarding its status.

Timeline

Dear @Crazy Cat

Lo and behold I just contacted USCIS and they said my wife's case has been transferred to the National Benefits Center where my daughter's case has been all this time.

However NBC doesn't have a processing time table for I-130 petitions. So I guess it's wait and see time.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, ZRomper said:

Dear @Crazy Cat

Lo and behold I just contacted USCIS and they said my wife's case has been transferred to the National Benefits Center where my daughter's case has been all this time.

However NBC doesn't have a processing time table for I-130 petitions. So I guess it's wait and see time.

I'm glad you got some good info.  Per other VJ members:

image.png.03297053341cd9868b97bb7e19fa3db1.png

Edited by Crazy Cat

On 4/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, ZRomper said:

Are your wife and daughter in the US?  If not, it's strange that the I-130 petitions for them would be transferred to NBC.  Unless the USCIS agent actually meant NSC (Nebraska Service Center)?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Are your wife and daughter in the US?  If not, it's strange that the I-130 petitions for them would be transferred to NBC.  Unless the USCIS agent actually meant NSC (Nebraska Service Center)?

No, they're both outside the US.
Actually this seems to be the normal process for cases with an adopted child. My daughter was processed at NBC from the get go. It was my wife's application that started out in Nebraska, then got transferred to Potomac and is now at NBC since my wife's petition got approved according to the DHS letter. They do this because a spouse-child linked together, don't get processed in separate centers when the child is adopted. They process the parent first to see if everything's ok to continue with the child. This is also why my wife's case was under the "Actively being reviewed" status since October 20th, 2021 and my daughter's case got that status only on February 22nd of this year.

Edited by ZRomper

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hi everyone,

So my wife finally got her I-130 approved on Friday!!

However I also filed for my adopted daughter at the same time as my wife and my daughter's case has been processing at the National Benefits Center all along. We got a case being actively reviewed on February 21rd, 2022.

My question is, since my wife got her approval letter, hopefully USCIS notifies NBC about this? So they can go ahead and process the child?

Because it's impossible to check the timeline for NBC unlike normal processing centers.

I've heard conflicting reports, can someone share their experience?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, ZRomper said:

Hi everyone,

So my wife finally got her I-130 approved on Friday!!

However I also filed for my adopted daughter at the same time as my wife and my daughter's case has been processing at the National Benefits Center all along. We got a case being actively reviewed on February 21rd, 2022.

My question is, since my wife got her approval letter, hopefully USCIS notifies NBC about this? So they can go ahead and process the child?

Because it's impossible to check the timeline for NBC unlike normal processing centers.

I've heard conflicting reports, can someone share their experience?

No each petition stands alone and is processed separately. The child's petition is dependent on evidence of relationship to you, the petitioner, not to her mother  Once they are both at the NVC, you can request they be linked, and pace the submission of documents to keep their processing on the same timeframe. When they are sent to the Consulate you can remind the consulate that the two family members want to be interviewed at the same time   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.