JayFromTexas

Is It Still Possible for a Russian to Get a US Tourist Visa?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Is anyone having success getting a B1/B2 visa for the US? My Russian girlfriend wants to visit me in the US. She's filled out the DS160 and filed it with the Mauritius embassy, but appointments don't seem to be coming available. Now travel has become prohibitively expensive. Are there any Russians out there who have been successful in getting a US tourist visa? If so, from which embassy location?

Edited by JayFromTexas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

She's filled out the DS160 and filed it with the Mauritius embassy, but appointments don't seem to be coming available.

If she already paid the fee for that one and decides to go to another embassy or consulate, that fee is lost. Just be aware the fees are non-transferrable. To get an idea of wait times, check here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

The answer to the question is yes, Russians can still apply for visitor visas. There was a recent thread about this. Please read for more info on potential embassies/consulates to go through:

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In the circumstances I would think it will be very difficult to show non immigrant intent but you can apply 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, millefleur said:

If she already paid the fee for that one and decides to go to another embassy or consulate, that fee is lost. Just be aware the fees are non-transferrable. To get an idea of wait times, check here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

The answer to the question is yes, Russians can still apply for visitor visas. There was a recent thread about this. Please read for more info on potential embassies/consulates to go through:

Thanks Millefleur! I've just now read that thread and understand the process. We were already pursuing the visa as the thread describes, but I don't see anyone saying they've actually received a visa, recently.

People traveling to the US under a tourist Visa now, probably received the visa prior to the war. It seems like every day more sanctions are added and relations between the US and Russia get worse. I was wondering if anyone has been successful receiving a Visa in the past week or 2 or if it is wasted effort right now.

Thanks again.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

In the circumstances I would think it will be very difficult to show non immigrant intent but you can apply 

Kinda what I was thinking. Was just curious if anyone had heard of someone getting a tourist visa under these circumstances.

Thanks for your reply.

Timeline

I have seen quite a few Ukrainian denials

Probably not that many Russians applying not an obvious time to go on holiday

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, JayFromTexas said:

Thanks Millefleur! I've just now read that thread and understand the process. We were already pursuing the visa as the thread describes, but I don't see anyone saying they've actually received a visa, recently.

Unfortunately there are no examples on VJ of any Russians who obtained a B visa since the invasion started. That doesn't mean it's not possible, it's just that no one here has posted about it yet.

2 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

It seems like every day more sanctions are added and relations between the US and Russia get worse. I was wondering if anyone has been successful receiving a Visa in the past week or 2 or if it is wasted effort right now.

There has been no sanction or ban of visas between Russians and Americans (except diplomatic visas but that goes back way before this war even started.) Thus, nothing has fundamentally changed in terms of tourist visas for Russians. The process is the same as it was before: find an embassy or consulate who will accept appointments, pay the fee and fill out the form, make an appointment, attend interview and then wait for the outcome.

The applicant still has to prove the strong ties/good reasons to return to Russia and overcome suspected immigrant intent to stay in the US. Having a USC significant other makes this a challenge. It's not impossible, just means the odds are stacked against you. With the current political situation in Russia and many people fleeing daily, the odds are probably harder to overcome. I don't think the chances are good but nobody here can say with certainty what the decision will be as that's the CO's job and it depends on each applicant's individual circumstances.

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
4 hours ago, millefleur said:

There has been no sanction or ban of visas between Russians and Americans (except diplomatic visas but that goes back way before this war even started.) Thus, nothing has fundamentally changed in terms of tourist visas for Russians. The process is the same as it was before: find an embassy or consulate who will accept appointments, pay the fee and fill out the form, make an appointment, attend interview and then wait for the outcome.

The applicant still has to prove the strong ties/good reasons to return to Russia and overcome suspected immigrant intent to stay in the US. 

I have been doing some research on this and have come to the same conclusion as millefleur. Although there are many sanctions against Russia and diplomatic relations are pretty bad, there are actually no changes in the rules, laws, or proclamations or EOs that restrict Russians from applying for a visitor visa to the US. The only problems are practical, i.e. the US consulates in Russia are not processing visa applications and it's incredibly difficult to find a US consulate outside Russia that is willing to accept visitor visa applications from Russia.

I am wondering why you went for Mauritius? 

I have written to several US consulates but didn't get a reply.

I guess the only possibility is to just submit an application (and pay the fee) and hope they will process it.

(I am thinking Nur-Sultan in Kazakhstan which has a listed appointment wait time of 106 days and there are stories of Russians getting a visitor visa appointment there in the past, but that was pre-war)

@JayFromTexas if you do find out more about a US embassy/consulate willing to take on your girlfriend's visa application please let us know!

Edited by Wouter

Timeline

Wouter-

We chose Mauritius because it has historically had one of the shorter lead times for consulate appointments. My girlfriend frequents a Russian forum where they discuss these topics and, prior to the war, some people were having success there.

Instead of writing, I call the Mauritius embassy directly, again prior to the war, and asked if they were accepting application from non-residents for non-immigrant visa requests and they confirmed that they were. If you have mailed other consulates, I recommend you just call them. I assume that since they are all US embassies that they speak english. That has been my experience, so far, but I've only talked to a couple different embassies.

The other benefit to Mauritius is you don't have to pay a fee until after you have an interview scheduled. There are several embassy locations where you don't have to pay the fee first.

Here is a website the compiles all embassy wait times and other information. You can limit it to embassies in countries not requiring a Visa for a Russian citizen and for those embassies that you can apply to prior to paying the fee. You'll have to translate it, but it is very good information. You can sort it too and easily discover which embassies supposedly have the shortest wait times.

The "wait time" seems to be misleading. Many of the embassies that have short lead times don't necessarily have openings. There is a whole industry of "bots" that are poaching interviews and making it difficult to schedule an interview without using one.

https://rapidfireball.fawd.workers.dev/

We've paused our effort for now, but hope to try to schedule something this summer. If we are successful, I'll report it here. I hope you do the same.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Wouter said:

(I am thinking Nur-Sultan in Kazakhstan which has a listed appointment wait time of 106 days and there are stories of Russians getting a visitor visa appointment there in the past, but that was pre-war)

106 days is not bad at all. A lot of the other places I checked are longer than that.

I just checked some random wait times and it looks like Sarajevo is only 16 calendar days? I don't think Russia has been sanctioned at all by Bosnia either, so worth looking into. Podgorica in Montenegro is 42 days. Sofia in Bulgaria is 60 days. Zagreb in Croatia is saying 2 calendar days! Might want to look into these options. Unfortunately I can't verify if any of these places accept 3rd country nationals except Bulgaria, Montenegro and Croatia:

https://bg.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Can anyone in Bulgaria apply, or do you need to be a Bulgarian national to apply?

We will have slots available for Bulgarian nationals and long-term residents in Bulgaria.  In addition, we will offer a limited number of appointments on specific dates for third country nationals interested in applying in Sofia.

https://hr.usembassy.gov/visas/

U.S. Embassy Zagreb is processing routine nonimmigrant visa interview appointments. However, please be advised that due to the sizeable backlog of appointments for residents and nationals of Croatia, non-residents of Croatia may face a considerable wait time.

https://hr.usembassy.gov/visas/

Announcement for B1/B2 non-resident applicants

Due to extremely high demand for visa appointments for business & travel (B1/B2) visas, appointments for non-residents of Montenegro are only available on the first Wednesday of every month from 9-11AM.  If you are a non-resident and make an appointment through the scheduling system during any other time, your appointment will be automatically cancelled. Please note that interviews are conducted only in Montenegrin and English.

According to UStraveldocs, Moldova offers services for non-residents and Russian speaking staff. However, the wait time is currently listed at 254 calendar days.

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/md/index.html

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

Serbia I think still has direct flights?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Serbia I think still has direct flights?

They do but according to the official page, the wait times are 180 days and I'm not able to confirm via their site that they accept non residents.

Another possible option:

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

https://kg.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/

- Russian speaking staff on site? Site is offered in Russian

- 92 calendar day wait

- No mention if they accept Russians or other nonresidents

Info about situation in Kazakhstan:

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/kz/en/nonimmigrant-visa/

Important Note: Separate, limited appointment slots are allocated for nonresident applicants. The visa appointment wait time published on travel.state.gov does not represent the wait time for nonresident categories. The nonresident wait time significantly exceeds the wait time shown there.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.