mrtn87

Evidence of marriage

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I’m a US citizen and I got married in another country which means my wife currently lives there, not in the US. We got a lawyer and applied for I-130 Petition for Alien Relative 3 months ago. I have a few questions and if anyone could answer, I would greatly appreciate it! 1) How long will the whole process take (Texas Service Center) and (Submitted January 2022) 2) My lawyer submitted evidence like passport photos, marriage certificate, affidavits from our families, BUT he did not submit texts or photos, is that normal or does he have to submit it asap? 3) I heard you need joint bank accounts, but she lives in another country which means I can’t get a joint bank account, is that needed? 4) I heard you need to submit I-130A as well and the lawyer said he submitted it, but I don’t see it on the USCIS website, should I just trust him?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Texts/ photos aren't a must.

When you do it online, everything is accounted for. So, worry not about the I-130A

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

18 hours ago, mrtn87 said:

I heard you need to submit I-130A as well and the lawyer said he submitted it, but I don’t see it on the USCIS website

The completed I-130A form should have been uploaded under the additional evidence section of the I-130 web form.  You should be able to see it in your USCIS account along with the other evidence files for your I-130.

18 hours ago, mrtn87 said:

I heard you need joint bank accounts, but she lives in another country which means I can’t get a joint bank account, is that needed?

Couples who live in different countries are not expected to have joint bank accounts.  If you submitted documentary evidence of lots of time spent together in person (not text chats), no need to worry about joint accounts.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:41 PM, mrtn87 said:

How long will the whole process take (Texas Service Center) 

1-2 years, depending on the backlog at your particular consulate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 2:41 AM, mrtn87 said:

1) How long will the whole process take (Texas Service Center) and (Submitted January 2022)

We submitted in October 2020, online, Texas service center. Got approved last week. So about 18 months.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 3/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, mrtn87 said:

Hi everyone, I’m a US citizen and I got married in another country which means my wife currently lives there, not in the US. We got a lawyer and applied for I-130 Petition for Alien Relative 3 months ago. I have a few questions and if anyone could answer, I would greatly appreciate it! 1) How long will the whole process take (Texas Service Center) and (Submitted January 2022) 2) My lawyer submitted evidence like passport photos, marriage certificate, affidavits from our families, BUT he did not submit texts or photos, is that normal or does he have to submit it asap? 3) I heard you need joint bank accounts, but she lives in another country which means I can’t get a joint bank account, is that needed? 4) I heard you need to submit I-130A as well and the lawyer said he submitted it, but I don’t see it on the USCIS website, should I just trust him?

I know many here say photos/chat logs/affidavits are secondary evidence, which technically they are, but it also depends on your country and what you should be supplying. Places like the Philipines or European, yeah you probably don't need much if any secondary evidence, om the other hand, some Asian/African countries do ask for pictures, chats showing continuing conversations, and other proofs that aren't necessary for other places. 

My now wife is in Cambodia, which is a notoriously fraud heavy country and a very tough embassy. So once we get the marriage certificate, I'll be front loading the petition quite heavily with proof of adding her to my life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, she's already my 401k beneficiary, I got her as an authorized user on one of my credit cards so she can use it there.

I won't be going as heavy on pictures, but sending the important ones, wedding pictures, honey moon pictures. Receipts of our travels together with hotel stays on our honeymoon. Boarding passes etc. 

Besides that evidence, I've learned the other most important aspect for Cambodia at least, is to attend the interview with your spouse. Even if they dont allow me inside, she can show my passport as proof I'm there. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 3/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, mrtn87 said:

4) I heard you need to submit I-130A as well and the lawyer said he submitted it, but I don’t see it on the USCIS website, should I just trust him?

No, never just trust your lawyer, you are paying them to work for you, make sure they are submitting the correct paperwork, that everything is up to date, you're just a pay check to a lawyer, so always check what they do before they send anything. 

On that note though, why did you get a lawyer to file? Do you have anything that would cause issues in filing? 99% of what you need to file on your own can be found from searching this site and asking questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I visited two lawyers they both told me because we dont live together secondary evidence was not needed for form i130. Apparently the officer will only check the civil documents and send the case to NVC. I didnt hire the lawyers and sent "some" evidence anyways just in case the process changes (life insurance, will, pictures of the wedding, an affidavit ). During the NVC stage you will need all the evidence, the process to get the i130 approved will take about a year, i sent form i129f last week hoping it will speed up the process. You have a whole year to collect more evidence because it will required for the interview, just make sure you have pictures of the wedding, proof you spend time together like going on vacation even to near cities (hotel receipts, pictures, etc) , pictures during family gatherings, some call logs, screenshots from messages, i use my debit card in Mexico to match the payments with the pictures, your i94 travel history will also be useful, 

I sent form i130a and i didnt see it on the website either.

Edited by RebeccaG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.