Dave-n-Oksana

Expedite of F1 Visa for Ukrainian High School Student

13 posts in this topic

My niece and her parents are trying to escape Ukraine and they had some concerns about my Niece finishing her High School Education.  She was in her 9th form when this chaos started and they are unsure of if or when schools will resume.  My wife and I were wondering if we could sponsor her and get her to the United States as quickly as possible so that she may be able to start with the 22-23 school year (which starts in early August around here).

Yes I understand that it depends on if they are able to get to a safe place, but wanting to get ahead of the ball so that we can hit the ground running.

Thanks in Advance

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Currently, no.

There is no special visas for nephews or sisters.  Well, there is the F4 immigration visa, but that takes 17+ years.

There has been talks of new resolutions to allow Ukrainian refugees to come to the US, but currently that is just discussions.

I am not too familiar with student visas.  I always thought the F1 visa is for college/university.  Perhaps others can chime in to see if it can apply to your niece.

Europe and Canada, and I believe the UK, allows temporary residency for Ukrainians.  Most allow up to 3 years.  They also have programs to help with housing and expenses.  Until there is a new law or policy in the US, that is the best option at the moment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F1 students can attend High School education.

I assume you have a School in mind so I would take to their International Students Officer about costs, issuing an I 20 etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Ohh and you should not need to expedite, this is well within the normal time for a Student visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Dave-n-Oksana said:

My niece and her parents are trying to escape Ukraine and they had some concerns about my Niece finishing her High School Education.  She was in her 9th form when this chaos started and they are unsure of if or when schools will resume.  My wife and I were wondering if we could sponsor her and get her to the United States as quickly as possible so that she may be able to start with the 22-23 school year (which starts in early August around here).

Yes I understand that it depends on if they are able to get to a safe place, but wanting to get ahead of the ball so that we can hit the ground running.

Thanks in Advance

Are you planning on a private high school?  If not, she can attend no more than one year in a public high scnool -- and you will be responsible for paying the full, unsubsidized cost for that year, which is an average of more than $12,500 (depends on the state and district where you live).  The school has to issue an I-20 that lists the full cost.  And, the student cannot use their student visa to enter the US more than 30 days before the start of the school year.

I hope your family stays safe wherever they are/go.

Edited by jan22

I was going to say something similar.  They can get a F-1 visa to come to school, but the schooling won't be free.

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

Thanks for all the responses.  Currently the only private High schools that are SEVIS approved are religious schools, and I know that the family are atheists.  Would I be able to sponsor her through a foreign exchange program?

Timeline

The exchange bit could be tricky

Filed: Timeline
21 hours ago, Dave-n-Oksana said:

Thanks for all the responses.  Currently the only private High schools that are SEVIS approved are religious schools, and I know that the family are atheists.  Would I be able to sponsor her through a foreign exchange program?

Sorry, but that's not the way it works.  Plus, if she came on an exchange program that uses F-1 student visas, her family would still need to pay tuition costs.  ( Other programs use a J-1 that does not require tuition payment, but it is an intercultural exchange program with a more complex selection process and essentially no chance she would be sent to your home.)

I hope you find a solution for your family.

Edited by jan22

23 hours ago, Dave-n-Oksana said:

Currently the only private High schools that are SEVIS approved are religious schools,

In the whole of the US? I seriously doubt that. Anyway even if the ones near you are, aren’t a few prayers you don’t believe in worth it to be safe?

Edited by SusieQQQ

15 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

In the whole of the US? I seriously doubt that. Anyway even if the ones near you are, aren’t a few prayers you don’t believe in worth it to be safe?

Safety is not the issue here as that can only be accomplish by escaping Russian controlled territory to Turkey (where her father is from).  The question is about completing her education in a language she is comfortable with (Turkish is not her strongest).

Timeline

Which languages is she comfortable with?

On 3/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, Dave-n-Oksana said:

Safety is not the issue here as that can only be accomplish by escaping Russian controlled territory to Turkey (where her father is from).  The question is about completing her education in a language she is comfortable with (Turkish is not her strongest).

Well, if she’s comfortable in English and she has more than a year left of high school, then the only option in the US is what has been outlined before - she needs to be enrolled at a SEVIS approved private school. Although a visa would only be applied for later (closer to school year start), many private schools probably already have admissions for next year in process so that’s a good place to start doing something now.
She may have other options in Europe?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.